What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vacuum-Sealed Weed

G

I figured I'd ask some of you fellow veterans of toking this question:

How long do you think weed will stay fresh, after curing & drying, then vacuum-sealed & kept in a cool, dark place?
I have some Shishkaberry from about 8 months ago that is vacuum-sealed & I was just looking at it & see no signs of mold or anything else detrimental.
Just wondering what some of your opinions are. I appreciate any input. Thanks!! :wave: :joint:

T5GrowerNow

Wow 8 months. I couldnt save anything past 8 weeks! That vacuum-sealed holds everything in really well. I can even carry it on me without worrying about odor. I am very interested as well how long that vacuum-sealed lasts as well. My old brain is guessing that without light to break it down and no way for gas exchange to take place it would last a long time but I never had tried anything that long before. Good luck.

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
I vacuum seal all of my harvest in mason jars with a Pump-N-Seal. I've been doing it for many many years and it works great. If you don't open them and keep them cool and dark, they last for years. I'm currently smoking a jar from a harvest that's close to 5 years old. As strong as the day it was sealed, and the aromas are much more intense and complex.

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
One more thing..........

There is a difference between using jars and plastic bags from a vacuum sealer. The glass is totally impermiable whereas the bags are not. Folks that use the food sealer bags usually report that they only get a couple of years before their stash starts to degrade. Apparently the polymers used in the plastic production will slowly dissolve the trichs.

Brownpants

Plastic is more porous than glass.
It doesn't dissolve the trichs, but some chemicals might leach into the bud leaving a nice phthalate taste.
I like the old canning jars with the clamp on them to keep them sealed up nice.

Bumboklot

as long as it is completely dry with no moisture and kept in a cool dark place, I like the fridge, not the freezer, it wil keep indefinetly

G

Excellent!! You guys have eased my mind. A mason jar is probably better than the vacuum-sealed plastic, but the bulkiness of the jar won't fit in my safe.
They won't be kept any longer than a year, so hopefully I'm OK. Thanks again everyone!!:D

I read that vacuum sealing weed is REALLY BAD. It crushes all the THC glands. I've done this before and ended up cooking all the bud because it was horrible. I usually put the weed in an airtight glass jar and put it in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let it thaw out for like 15 minuets before enjoying it though. Proper handling can be the difference between dank and "brick shit".

HuffAndPuff

I prefer Mason jars over vacuum sealing, but to BrainDameEdge- if you vacuum seal buds twice, leaving some air around them the first time, then full on with the second, it seems to keep em pristine.

StaySafe
HuffAndPuff

Gunny

I put herb in a disposable "Glad" plastic containers and then vacuum seal it in that... Twice.

Wrap the container with Aluminum Foil prior to shrink wrapping and label "Venison - Backstraps" :D

Has last well over a year....

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't know how long weed lasts once vacuum packed, just that we got it vacuum packed in the early 80s from CA supposedly. Was always right on the money w/o any mold, very sticky, 1/2 lb. packages were only $600 in '82-83.

I use Mason jars. Once the herb is well cured, I put it in a the fridge and forget about it. I bought a fridge just for my stash. I haven't managed to keep anything longer than 3 years. Recently, I opened a jar of Kali Mist that had been in the fridge for 2 years. I hadn't smoked any KM in quite a while, and it was fantastic. The taste and high were even better than I remembered. :wave:

LOL, this is why I've just signed back on. FINALLY getting down to the last of our harvest from nearly 5 years ago, we use the glass mason jars, seal them up tight and keep them in dark closet also. It's amazing to me how wonderful this stuff still is. It's not quite as sticky as it used to be but still kicks butt. The last of the C99 is being savored.... every last toke!

robereno

Vacuum sealed

Vacuum sealed

I use Mason jars. Got everything you see here at Walmart. I've been told that the most important thing is to keep them out of the light. Apparently freezing is bad for the weed and even refrigeration isn't necessary.

canning.jpg

G

Gobwats

I use Mason jars. Got everything you see here at Walmart. I've been told that the most important thing is to keep them out of the light. Apparently freezing is bad for the weed and even refrigeration isn't necessary.

canning.jpg

Light and heat are the two biggest enemies of THC crystals, both will cause degradation. I just put my harvest in Mason jars and then stick those in a dark file cabinet drawer; don't bother with the vacuum sealing though. Freezing will make the trichrome crystals brittle and easily broken off (great if you plan to make hash) but otherwise will not degrade the quality of the crystal; handle with care until it thaws out and you should not loose too many crystals, and be sure to collect the ones that do break off as good kief can't be beat.

W

Weedman Herb

Your fridge is a dark vacuum (until you open the door) and a decent spot ... Freezing is bad for fresh cut weed (it turns all black and mushy) but properly dried weed keeps well frozen and even takes on a cold cure.