What's new

Vacuum purge , whats your style ?

goolash

great thread for information. Esp for those of us who aren't really experienced with vaccuming butane. I started winterizing from day one and have only vac'd butane like twice. Thanks for this thread!

Sirdizz

Canna- yes please do update this I would like to see some pix of that!

Does butane and propane both purge at the same rates? Just got a blend to try from Eco green and wonder if most the variables are still the same. I'm used to working with straight tane.
Finally have fresh material to work with so I'll have to post up some results a lil later.

Cannajits

Canna- yes please do update this I would like to see some pix of that!

Does butane and propane both purge at the same rates? Just got a blend to try from Eco green and wonder if most the variables are still the same. I'm used to working with straight tane.
Finally have fresh material to work with so I'll have to post up some results a lil later.

From the research i've done they have different evap temps and there for require different temperatures to purge. I'm not familiar with propane though, so I haven't paid much attention to the differences in all honesty.

I'll take a few pics of the purge set up next run.

Mountainman27

Vacuum purging

Vacuum purging

Hey guys first time poster here, looking for any, and all tips or experiences with vacuum purging honey oil, I'm just looking to expand my knowledge on the subject and I've been keeping detailed notes on my own experiences. I have extracted Keef from my outdoor plants, leaf and small buds, using dry ice, and 120 micron screen (bubble bag). I have then purged the keef with Calibri butane., in standard honey oil procedure. I have multiple batches some that I've whipped afterwards, and some that I've just let boil off naturally. I have one of those cheap 3gallon pot, pressure cooker setups, with a 3 CFM quarterhorse power vacuum pump. I know I know, reliable equipment is the most important thing ,but this is my first attempt into shatter making so I opted to start at the bottom. So I've been shooting for these numbers with my batches so far: pressure: -27Hg. Temperature : 85-95°F(on exterior of purge container ). Purge time: 10-17 hours (trying a 24hr). Just looking for any input on purging times and temperatures, as well as the treatment of the honey oil prior to purging.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I heat a thin film of it in an oven until it melts at about 115F (at the puddle), and then pull a -29.5" vacuum.

The surface of the puddle must have low enough surface tension, for the bubbles to escape.

Read details in the threads on this concentrates forum, about flipping, and come back with any questions.

LostTribe

Premium user
I just remembered I bought an ac attachment for my air compressor for $10 at harbor freight that will work perfect for a vacuum. What all do you need besides an air hose and a pump?

A friend said they use a container like a big jar.....

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just remembered I bought an ac attachment for my air compressor for $10 at harbor freight that will work perfect for a vacuum. What all do you need besides an air hose and a pump?

A friend said they use a container like a big jar.....

Most venturi vacuums only pull to around -27" Hg and they all use a lot of air.

We use a Vaccon, which pulls to -29.5" Hg using 22 scfm at 80 psi.

LostTribe

Premium user
whats a basic setup? I guess you mean my pump contected to the compressor is bunk its cool. Just thought it might work....

I seem to remember a dedicated hvac service pump running atleast $100 if not 200. Would these even suffice or are you talking about something like fiberglass/carbon fiber injection moldings or even something entirely differnt?

The Tribe

LostTribe

Premium user
Hey G Dubb Bruddah!

I am looking and some of the vaccon's are venturi systems. Which model are you using and what media do you use with it?

Do these plug in or do you have to hard wire a pigtail to them?

The Tribe

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
whats a basic setup? I guess you mean my pump contected to the compressor is bunk its cool. Just thought it might work....

I seem to remember a dedicated hvac service pump running atleast $100 if not 200. Would these even suffice or are you talking about something like fiberglass/carbon fiber injection moldings or even something entirely differnt?

The Tribe

You hook an air hose to the venturi and the air passing through the venturi pulls a vacuum on a second hose, which you use for evacuation.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey G Dubb Bruddah!

I am looking and some of the vaccon's are venturi systems. Which model are you using and what media do you use with it?

Do these plug in or do you have to hard wire a pigtail to them?

The Tribe

We use the HVP 300 and just require a 22 scfm air supply at 80 psi to produce about 6 scfm of pumping action and pull to -29.5Hg.

LostTribe

Premium user
will 28.3"Hg and 4.2cfm@90 psi work then GW?

A friend tried to make some butane oil and I don't think he purged it enough. He just ran the butane through into a pyrex dish and left on hot plate until it quit bubbling up. Doesnt he need a vacuum purge?? He would probably go the cheap mans route as he doesnt do big batches....

I havent done the butane oil only qwiso with winterization filtration.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
will 28.3"Hg and 4.2cfm@90 psi work then GW?

A friend tried to make some butane oil and I don't think he purged it enough. He just ran the butane through into a pyrex dish and left on hot plate until it quit bubbling up. Doesnt he need a vacuum purge?? He would probably go the cheap mans route as he doesnt do big batches....

I havent done the butane oil only qwiso with winterization filtration.

-28.3" is far less than optimum.

You can purge residual solvent without vacuum, but it takes a long time and you will lose most of the monoterpenes in the process.

LostTribe

Premium user
Since it starts out as shatter, the better question might be how long have I purged to get rid of solvent, and still ended up with shatter.

The answer is that it depends heavily on the material and film thickness.

If the material is rife with monoterpenes, some of them have to be removed as well to obtain brittleness at room temperature, otherwise they stay pliable with the terpenes acting as a solvent.

I usually process small test amounts, so in small paddies and thin films I've gotten below 50 ppm residual in under an hour.

When experimenting with larger and thicker slabs, its takes longer. This 266 gram one took about 28 hours.

Because I increment up the vacuum and the paddy is relatively tame by the time I get around to flipping the first time, I usually only have to flip once or twice, but have flipped it more.

Complements to the chef!