What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vacuum desiccator, which one did you get and why?

OrganicBuds

Veteran
I wish there was a service you could drop off the seasons trim and small nugs and that person/company could turn it all to top quality hash. I would pay a nice sum for that service.

hammalamma

Veteran
I wish there was a service you could drop off the seasons trim and small nugs and that person/company could turn it all to top quality hash. I would pay a nice sum for that service.

There are many people that will do this for you. Just make sure its some one you trust. The going rate round here is 50% of the hash made, now if you have some nice material like sugar trim with a high return or nugs you could def. get a better deal.

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
There are many people that will do this for you. Just make sure its some one you trust. The going rate round here is 50% of the hash made, now if you have some nice material like sugar trim with a high return or nugs you could def. get a better deal.

This ^ all day.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Wow, that's awesome! Anybody know of a place in the San Fransico Bay Area? Usually every year at the end of outdoor I accumulate 10 or more elbows of trim that just takes me forever to make oil out of. Also, I don't think I do it right so I would imagine somebody with the know how would yield 10-50% more anyways. I would love to find out if there is a place in the bay for this.

Edit: also, if anybody knows, how long do these companies hold on to your material? What is the turn over rate? Might be worth a drive to Oregon if it can be done in one day.

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
On another note your oil will only be as quality as your starting material. So anything that doesn't have resin on it keep separate from everything that does. Dry but not cured material seems to make the tastiest oil.

On average quality suger leaf can yield 5%-20%

If your in the bay it shouldn't be to hard to find someone to do this for you, little bit networking should get the job done. Hell If I were you I would spend a few hundred on equipment and some hours reading and make some bomb shatter yourself. Keep 100% instead of 50%

OrganicBuds

Veteran
I hear ya midwest, and that is how I have done it in the past. However after months of clipping, I just don't feel like making oil. Then I start to freak out about all the extra trim around and worry about the fuzz. My networking skills need an improvement I guess.

SpaceshipNelson

Be careful, I've called out three separate people who have been advertising that as a service. All three have lied through their teeth. Either about product or process, there seems to be this self imposed "shroud of mystery" about what it is we're doing here as if it's proprietary information. Ask them the right questions, make sure they give the right answers. . .

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow, that's awesome! Anybody know of a place in the San Fransico Bay Area? Usually every year at the end of outdoor I accumulate 10 or more elbows of trim that just takes me forever to make oil out of. Also, I don't think I do it right so I would imagine somebody with the know how would yield 10-50% more anyways. I would love to find out if there is a place in the bay for this.

Edit: also, if anybody knows, how long do these companies hold on to your material? What is the turn over rate? Might be worth a drive to Oregon if it can be done in one day.

If you made arrangements, there is no reason that someone like Specialized Formulation couldn't turn your material in one day and hand you back both your oil and spent material. The average prime bud averages around 18/25% and trim about half that at 10/12%.

They charge by the run, because it takes the same amount of time to process poor quality material as high quality material, and all they can do is extract what is there.

For larger runs like 10# I would ask to negotiate a bulk rate, which is probably cheaper.

There would be a legal issue with moving the material from CA to Oregon though, so a better plan might be one of the Terpenators operating in CA.

Specialized Formulations has sold a number of Mk IIIA's in CA, plus I know of a fully automated Mk II around Redding, and at least one Mk IIIA around the Costa Mesa/LA area, that extract for dispensaries, but no clue what they charge.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Be careful, I've called out three separate people who have been advertising that as a service. All three have lied through their teeth. Either about product or process, there seems to be this self imposed "shroud of mystery" about what it is we're doing here as if it's proprietary information. Ask them the right questions, make sure they give the right answers. . .

Good point! The water is full of sharks, so it is caveat emptor! You must pay attention to win.

We don't extract for hire, but we've been called upon to fix some stuff produced by others that had enough residual solvent, excessive chlorophyll, and botrytis, to give the patients gastric upset.

Kushed_

Every commercial hash maker that I know does this. How do you think they get most, if not all, of their material?

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I read somewhere that going under 10,000 micron [around 29.5hg] with temps around 115f and you are cold boiling terps.

ß-caryophyllene
Boiling point: 119*C / 246.2 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Antiinflammatory, Cytoprotective (gastric mucosa), Antimalarial
http://skunkpharmresearch.com/cannabinoid-info/

is the first of the known 'good oil components' to cold boil off if you take the vacuum too low.

Graywolf states 115F and down to -29.5" Hg and I agree that should be the bottom line.

I used this boiling point calculator http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/wrzenie.html
to generate the following boiling points of ß-caryophyllene under vacuum.

Attachments

• Scan029A.jpg
    Scan029A.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 14

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How to test and recalibrate dial vacuum gauges by comparing the observed boiling point of water under vacuum to the standard boiling point of water under vacuum.

Place a half a glass of water in the chamber, note it's temperature. Take the pressure down slowly, just until the water starts to rapidly boil, valve off, tap the gauge down (they tend to stick,) and note the dial's reading. Compare the dial's vacuum reading and the water temperature noted earlier to the standard, here's a reference table: http://www.engineersedge.com/h2o_boil_pressure.htm

To recalibrate the scale of your dial gauge, repeat the above at various water temperatures and either place a piece of tape on the dial to record the correct pressure readings or make a table showing "if the dial reads this, it's actually this.."

Water cold boils at 53F at -29.52" Hg (10,000 micron level,) make sure to take note of the correct reading for -29.5" Hg on your dial gauge.

hammalamma

Veteran
ß-caryophyllene
Boiling point: 119*C / 246.2 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Antiinflammatory, Cytoprotective (gastric mucosa), Antimalarial
http://skunkpharmresearch.com/cannabinoid-info/

is the first of the known 'good oil components' to cold boil off if you take the vacuum too low.

Graywolf states 115F and down to -29.5" Hg and I agree that should be the bottom line.

I used this boiling point calculator http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/wrzenie.html
to generate the following boiling points of ß-caryophyllene under vacuum.
Welcome to icmag buddy!
I really enjoy reading your posts over on forum x. Those flex watt mats are the shit. Gonna get one of those temp controllers real soon. Keep up the good work!

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the warm welcome! Here's the rest of the boiling points under vacuum data which delineate the area temperature/pressure points that will boil off the butane and water, but not the good components of your oil.
(Enthalpy of vaporization for delta-9 THC: 66.49 kj/mol)

Attachments

• Scan028A.jpg
    Scan028A.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Scan031A.jpg
    Scan031A.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Scan032A.jpg
    Scan032A.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Vacuum Level versus Boiling Point (graph).jpg
    Vacuum Level versus Boiling Point (graph).jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Vacuum Level versus Boiling Point C.jpg
    Vacuum Level versus Boiling Point C.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 16

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Enthalpy of vaporization used to calculate the boiling points of ethanol was 38.56 kJ/mol from NIST, and for isopropyl 39.85 kJ/mol, also from NIST.

Attachments

• Scan035A.jpg
    Scan035A.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Scan042A.jpg
    Scan042A.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Latest posts