What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

UVB for THC and Terpenes

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
While reading up about UVC for killing spider mites I ran across several articles about using UVB for increasing THC and terpenes. They claimed 28% increase. Does anyone have information and/or experience with this?? The articles I read so far have been vague about how much light wattage, but seems like 12 hours a day, especially during switchover to flower. Also seems like you would need to shut them off and/or wear protective goggles when in room.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
For UVB if you search member Phaetons’ posts, they did a few quite thorough trials.
UVA is mostly used nowadays.
What is a bitch is search function only works on words with 4 letters or more. Did internet search on UVB and Phaeton and got some interesting results. It can work but strain and probably pheno dependent. Phaeton dumped it after 6 months. Suggested universities know the tricks to apply regarding strength of light so will do a little more searching.

S

sallyforthDeleted member 75382

Good video. At 21.27 Bugbee explains UV. Yes LED cannot replicate the UV needed for plants. It's about the UVB UVA photons that matter. Fluorescent tubes with 25% UVA and 75% UVB work though.

trixP

Good video. At 21.27 Bugbee explains UV. Yes LED cannot replicate the UV needed for plants. It's about the UVB UVA photons that matter. Fluorescent tubes with 25% UVA and 75% UVB work though.
Pick up a rayonled and voila

chilliwilli

Waterboy
The migro uvb 310 tube is nice. I use it now the second time at a grow.
At the first time i increased too the recomended 2h over 2 weeks and let it run till harvest(min 2 weeks).

I can not say that it increased the terps but changed them to more pronounced imo. I got this strongest with the sensi star cut from vienna. Never had such strong celery aroma in that cut before, normally it won't smell like that. Took very long cure to develop a little sweetness in the smell and was almost smoked up at that time.

Can't also say that it's much stronger, maybe a little more but that could be placebo. But i did no side by side and that plant was also direct under the tube ~2ft away so maybe this got too much.

Coloration is dev enhanced by uv. More purple hues showed up. Now on the second try i will just use 15min uv in the middle of lighting phase at the last 2-4 weeks of flowering and already see my thai x panama getting more coloration.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not sure but with the uvb I used it was not a drastic improvement or any maybe? I used a meter so I had enough on the plants and moved it around too.

uva seems better at this point I guess. It seems it is mostly the other rays from the sun that are helpful in potency or getting a better mix of chemicals in the plant to affect the high for more euphoria, trippy, etc. In other words, really intense full spectrum light with uv rays being not that important.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I bought a uvb meter so I knew for a fact I was getting plenty of uvb on the plants. It was a 10 watt pet reptile light so it had around 8 inches of decent light coming off the sides of it. I think the meter cost about $250 so I was not too happy to have results that I could not be sure of it changing anything.

Plants were 2 to 8 inches away from the light. Spun the plants 180 degrees to get both sides, moved the light up and down the canopy. If any difference I could not say for certain. Lot of work too so at present the light sits idle.

trainer

Hello chilliwilli I have the migro uvb 310 too bit I let it Run First days 15 minuten and the every two days longer until one hour a Day . IT is a great improvement for terps and thc .

Rocket Soul

Cant say anything about potency yet as it would be the first run but the plants look so much better with supplementation, using far red 730, uva 365/400 in 2-1 ratio and uvb 295nm.

Much better plant stance, especially when we introduced uvb: perfectly praying leaves. Deeper looking shade of green. Also drinks faster than other trays without uv. And most importantly they seem to be able to take a fari bit more light than before.

trixP

Cant say anything about potency yet as it would be the first run but the plants look so much better with supplementation, using far red 730, uva 365/400 in 2-1 ratio and uvb 295nm.

Much better plant stance, especially when we introduced uvb: perfectly praying leaves. Deeper looking shade of green. Also drinks faster than other trays without uv. And most importantly they seem to be able to take a fari bit more light than before.
How long you running them and when you introduce it ?? I’m thinking last 3 weeks 15min-1hr

What is a bitch is search function only works on words with 4 letters or more. Did internet search on UVB and Phaeton and got some interesting results. It can work but strain and probably pheno dependent. Phaeton dumped it after 6 months. Suggested universities know the tricks to apply regarding strength of light so will do a little more searching.
To get around that you can go to google or duckduckgo and type:

site:icmag.com "UVB"

I use UVB but I'm using it in an attempt to breed high-THCV strains. I have no real evidence that this works but that's the idea anyway.

Rocket Soul

How long you running them and when you introduce it ?? I’m thinking last 3 weeks 15min-1hr
Weve tried several ways, 5 mins an hour for 6 midday hours and then go on increasing. While still uvb "virgins" our plants seemed to like 5 mins but not 30 an hour but you can work yourself up to an hour or 3.