What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Using Pool Shock as an all-around sanitizer

Applesauce

Is anyone familiar with the dosage rates per gallon for general sanitation? I realize you can find differing levels of calcium hypochlorite (50-75%) in pool shock so the dilution rate will vary.

1 TSP/gal seems like a reasonable starting point.

I saw the thread here years back using this as a cheap alternative to expensive res-cleaner mixes. It also seems to have good use as a cloning tool.

Specifically, I want to sanitize equipment and surfaces using a high enough concentration to eliminate TMV and other hard to kill nasties.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I wouldn't use anything for a pool on my plant roots. UC roots is designed for plant roots. It has a bleachy smell to it but that probably where the similarities end. Descales root systems and prevents biofilms, rot, etc.

Seems to be working good in my system!