What's new

Using Ozone generator?

W

wegobigupnorth

Anyone currently doing this? Advantages and disadvantages?

I heard it is bad to run them in the grow room, espically when flowering. I am thinking about using one outside the room to make sure my apartment stays nice and fresh smelling, think it is a good or bad idea and why?

vostok

Veteran
For smell removal or cleaning yes, but too much can have an undesirable effect on many leaves,...almost like nute burn, or very similar, but for removing smells in bud you won't have any need to feed them (N) anyways, so stay sharp

W

wegobigupnorth

I don't want to remove the smell from my buds just want to make sure the apartment does not smell like my buds hehe.

Heard it can be unhealthy to run them...I live in the space I want to run one in just in case that wasn't clear. I heard it is very bad to run them in the same room as the plants and I do not plan on doing that. i do not want the ozone landing on my buds

put the ozone machine inside a long fat exhaust pipe like 20 feet long. The exhaust fan will keep the ozone going outside so you and the plants dont breathe it. The 20 feet length is to allow more time for the ozone to mix around and zap out the odors. The shit really works.

Another way to use ozone is for spot treatment. I'll keep it close to the front door and run it for a minute if someone comes knocking. Or I'll run it for a half hour when I'm not there. That amount wont hurt plants. and it totally dissipates and turns into regular oxygen anyway after a half hour max.

RoostaPhish

Veteran
They have units that mount right in the ducting, varying in sizes, both corona discharge and standard uv. They do work. There is some health risks when it comes to exposure of ozone, most companies suggest using a timer to limit exposure. There are test kits to check levels if you are concerned. I have yet to see any damage to plants from ozone generators first hand. And I have been around them many times. All masking methods however are just that. If a variety is pungent it will be smelled. You could always grow varieties known for lower odor, sounds undesirable I know, I prefer stanky as well, but there are actually some lower odor varieties that are quite nice.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Ozone is very bad for you, it burns holes in your lungs. It also zaps the smell of your plants and fucks Carbon filters.. So use it wisely, it is the usual way professionals in legal businesses do it.

As MrHeechops says, you must run Ozone downstream of the grow and also carbon filters, it works best in a "lung room" a space where the exhaust air can mix and the O3 has time to oxidise odour particles (loosing the unstable 3rd Oxygen atom from the O3 Molecule making it O2, Oxygen again.)

You can also run an Ozone generator on a computer UPS, so if/when you have a power cut, the then Un extracted, unfiltered garden does not start stinking the neighbourhood out, giving you away.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
ozone is safe if used properly..lots of places use em ..my gym does...get a test kit if used in living area inside... best used in exhaust...yeehaw..uvonair...ozone dissipates in around a half hour or less..

Easy7

Veteran
Have used them for small cfl grows. One side of things is that ozone has it's own noticeable smell.

W

wegobigupnorth

Respect guys. Love the fact it can be run off a computer, that could really save my ass if the power went out in full out flowering.

Anyone have any reccomendations on one to purchase? They seem fairly inexpensive. I want to have one my the front door of my apartment to turn on either for a short time before someone needs to come inside or run it for a little while I am not there.

It seems perfect say if my mother, who HATES the smell of weed is coming over and shes gonna be here in 10 minutes I could just run the Ozone and she'll walk in thinking the place smells all nice and fresh :)

Or more important, if maitence needs to come in here or some shit, make sure the main living area that they have to inspect once a year for smoke alarms and shit is smellin fresh

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Respect guys. Love the fact it can be run off a computer, that could really save my ass if the power went out in full out flowering.

Anyone have any reccomendations on one to purchase? They seem fairly inexpensive. I want to have one my the front door of my apartment to turn on either for a short time before someone needs to come inside or run it for a little while I am not there.

It seems perfect say if my mother, who HATES the smell of weed is coming over and shes gonna be here in 10 minutes I could just run the Ozone and she'll walk in thinking the place smells all nice and fresh :)

Or more important, if maitence needs to come in here or some shit, make sure the main living area that they have to inspect once a year for smoke alarms and shit is smellin fresh

I didn't say it could be run off a computer, I suggested running it off a computer UPS, uninterruptable power supply, basically a battery that fires up when you have a power cut.

Any grow needs constant fresh air, I have never used an intake fan, only ever extraction, like this the house never smells of weed, it all gets sucked into the grow room, through the carbon filter and out, no smells.

If you need to kill a smell quick, the citrus zest sprays like Orange Magic really are Magic. ACE in cars too, and is fantastic inside packaging when moving.

M

moose eater

If used in a relatively sealed duct as an augmentation to already filtered air, then fine.

Without delving into credentials on the subject, the ozone has a smell all its own, like a clean spring day with bleach in the laundry, in higher concentrations is not healthy at al for the inner soft lung tissue, especially in young growing people, and it eats rubber (cove bases, etc., etc.) like kids eat peanut butter.

On the bright side, if in your atmosphere, aside from the negatives mentioned, it's purported to kill microbes, etc. But there are ways to filter them out that don't involve the negatives mentioned.

Solid metal or other leak-free exhaust ducting AFTER a proper filtration, THEN install in-duct ozone generators..

Other than that, leave them for folks who don't live with their hobby in the same air, or who, like many of us once did, insist on learning from experience, to include all the scrapes, bruises and skinned knees that come with that path. :tiphat:

M

moose eater

Oh, and they typically don't use much electricity, at least not the ones I'm familiar with.

Someone very near here has a couple Air Tigers not used for a number of years now, still functional, and he'd likely darned near give them to someone, having been unattached to them for a LONG time..

One day they'll probably be discovered by some lucky treasure hunter at a local transfer station... :^>

Latest posts

Latest posts