What's new

Using olive oil when trimming

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran
For all you pro trimmers,

Buy a small single electric hotplate, set it to medium.Get a small saucepan and fill half full of cheap canola oil.Let heat up. Everytime you need to clean your fiskars just dip into hot oil and open and close them a couple times , then wipe with kitchen tissue.

Way better than getting a headache inhaling ISO all day in a closed room.

I go without showering or washing my hands before I make some hand rubbed hash... I use single ply toilet paper... wanna smoke some of my hash, man?

Gry

Veteran
I think that guys who have made hash since time began scratched their nuts.
If you lived and smoked in the US in the 60s , 70s , and most of the 80s , you smoked what someone else grew. All we had was imported.
First thirty years of my life I smoked the result of other peoples labor. The world still spins just fine.

I can recall being there when "packages" were opened back in the day. I do not recall anyone ever asking "gee, I wonder how dirty this all is". I have to wonder have people really changed that damn much ?

Last edited:

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Dont know how he came to the conclusion but i concured it goin on the sheer size of the grows u took over and the conditions everything was in when u tookem over... its was either asians or russians runnin an op like that in them conditions... i got no hate for them i liked gettin cheap asian purps and being able to put a g on the ticket ... i didnt would never smokem but worked a few thousand of em n no that style fairly well...... neway hope things turned around for ya...

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
N for the record i dont look down at ppl... but see reality... im the first to toss a benji at the homeless with a meal... but ill be damn if i take financial, work/trimmin advice from someone who never had succedd in life... im a work n show me person. ... n if i thought dude was gonna think he new better then me n do shit his way he gotta go... i just chewd and fired my helper for leavin the split door open in my dry area... fukin up money is totally unacceptable. ... especially when the bum aint got but the few hundred in his pocket that i just gave him n cant cover the mistake with shit but a my bad...
Good help is hard to find...

Gry

Veteran
Still recall the first time I saw 'trimmed" shit. Took me seconds to ask what did you do with what was left, and what do you want for it ? Somethings in life have never really made sense to me and trimming is one of them. Just dumb and to what end ? We live in a world of crazy commerce - maybe I would feel different about it if I had made a lot of money off of trimmed cannabis though .
Coconutz, do you have any idea how damn hard it is to type with that there !

papaduc

Veteran
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the trimmer's equivalent of the chefs steel - wire wool. There's no need for dipping oils or alcohol to clean your blades in between branches. 3 quick wipes with wire wool and they're firing like new again. I won't trim without it. Get on it.

Red Fang

Veteran
Still recall the first time I saw 'trimmed" shit. Took me seconds to ask what did you do with what was left, and what do you want for it ? Somethings in life have never really made sense to me and trimming is one of them. Just dumb and to what end ? We live in a world of crazy commerce - maybe I would feel different about it if I had made a lot of money off of trimmed cannabis though .
Coconutz, do you have any idea how damn hard it is to type with that there !
yes I have not been a teen in the 60's (more like 80's) can't claim that, but still feel too many are too fussy now... you can't give away fan leaves like they are utter garbage and yet I've seen and smoked nicely frosted ones and in the day when I didn't have any better (had to unload the better stuff out of necessity) it did the trick I assure you! Things are too crazily fussy now! Thanks of reminding me of the "good old days".

VenturaHwy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use cornstarch (baby powder) when trimming to keep my fingers from sticking to everything.

d0rky1

i know thi sis an OLD thread. but im surprised no one posted about wd-40. and soap. spray ur hands with wd-40 and then lather with soap, wash ur hands, no more sticky ass hands. gloves are good too. but just in case, sometimes i go gloveless and some of my trim buddies prefer gloveless as well, and i just tell them to use wd-40, works like a charm.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
I would ask that the trimmers minimize contact with the medicine (trichs) - by holding the buds by the bottom stem. It would not be good to get even a residue of oil on the buds.

But, Olive Oil works great to clean scissors. Or to lubricate the central screw on fiskar style snippers. And to get fingertips clean - The Lifer Trimmer Women of NorCal are aware of how much better it feels than iso alcohol on their dainty hands (as if). I learned it from them. I still soak used snips in alcohol though.

jd4083

Veteran
well stoney, to each their own, and maybe it will make a lot more sense when/if I read another thread as you say... but I don't believe in disrespecting/looking down on anyone, unless they give me good reason to (they are a disrespectful ass to me for instance). From a homeless guy to a peasant to trimmers, we all had to start out somewhere and some progress faster than others and that sometimes some of that can't be helped. Ok anyway off to trim! peace

oh for christ's sake, it was a joke. Get your panties out of a wad and work on getting some thicker skin if you plan on sticking around the internet for any length of time.

W

WeetisPotPie

I guess if you just learn to trim you won't worry much about it. I keep a razor with me, trim a plant, scrap the scissor hash off with a razor. I usually have enough to roll it up like a snake and put it in a joint. That is after trimming 3#'s. I use the iso after I'm finished, never during, cause it does give me a headache too. WD-40???? Maybe I missed the joke.

JointOperation

ya pretty dumb to be honest...

if you have looked into extractions. you will see that you can extract high levels of terpenes with fats.. so I would say this causes more damage then anything..

toss on gloves.. or sanatize hands properly and thoroughly

Bmac1

Veteran
I use olive oil to clean my hands after Im done trimming. Bit of oil and a tablespoon of sugar cleans them up quite nice where nothing else seems to work.