What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Using Grape Juice To Flavor Strains With Grape/Purple Colors?

X

xavier7995

Most things like food colouring won't pass through the roots. Get them down to their chemical constituents and some of them might make it, but that's not adding colour.

To add colour you can sew a wick through a branch. That will wick in colour, but death follows soon after.

I chopped a head and put the stem in glycerine solution once. It was taken up, and the bud was preserved. It didn't shrink, but instead become like foam rubber. The cat played with it for months. People would marvel over it, knowing something wasn't right, but never placing the fact it was all too big. Having never shrunk as it dried. I didn't do a before and after, but I don't think it lost any weight. If you really squished a bit some moisture would be released. It passed as almost dry enough though. I could develop a spray called '60%' designed to stop buds drying to a crisp. I imagine someone will be developing a new 'stay heavy' spray moments after reading. It's not as if glycerine even tastes much. It's not something I could justify though. It was just for fun.

Bloody newbs and their daft ideas lol

Do you happen to remeber how long the bud stayed fresh and nice looking? That sounds like a fun little experiment and would be a neat way to preserve something.

TrickEE

The white hairs soon turn, but then brown off. The growing extremities will taint, but the dye holds things. There is some hardening off, then death. It's not advisable.

With carnations the petal edges take on the colour first. It seems the dye passes through the petal unseen, until the edge where it can get no further. Here it gathers. Giving a highly contrasting edge.

Now I don't think the petals edge is a growing tip. It's pushed up like the hairs on our heads/buds. This can get loaded with colour and preserved without issue. Our leaves and buds have a different growth pattern though. The colour is taken to growing areas. Fixing there. Which causes some sort of stiffening up. Then death as every bit that tries to grow, pulls in colour that fixes there.

Least so it seemed to be.

Perhaps you thought I was saying I could turn an entire bud any colour. That certainly can't be done. You can add some colour, but death is so close behind, and the green so dominant, that your wasting your time if your looking for any real gain, other than knowledge

It purely was from a scientific stand point to figure out more about the plant we all love here.

TrickEE

If this kind of thing worked farmers would have figured this out a long time ago and would be dumping left over oranges on apple fields and vice versa. Or vineyards dumping various fruits on their grape fields.

But as we all know, cannabis is way different than most other plants. This is to figure out more about cannabis in general and the way certain uptakes happen. Really I was hypothesizing that color could happen more so than flavor as it would take time for flavor to uptake into cannabis. My guess anyways.

TrickEE

I heard the following a few years ago in the Dutch scene. I don't know if it's true or even works. Nor do I agree in anyway with aldurating or flavoring cannabis products.
But I'll share because I find that no info should be withheld.

A plant can't take up complex molecules through their roots. But if you cut off a branch off a plant that is at the end of flowering. And place that branch in a water solution with flavoring agents for at least a week it will take it in.

Here is a link to a Hightimes article.
https://hightimes.com/grow/experiment-a-new-way-of-flavoring-cannabis/

Now this is what I was looking for! Thanks bro for the info. So if Franco from GH Seeds got cannabis to taste like what was grown around it, I wonder what would happen if a cannabis plant was grown in the middle of a poppy field?!? Interesting...

Spinme

Proly

Proly

I saw an old head cook a pineapple down and feed it to a pineapple plant..... Tasted like a pineapple afterwards.. so who the fulk knows

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Most things like food colouring won't pass through the roots. Get them down to their chemical constituents and some of them might make it, but that's not adding colour.

To add colour you can sew a wick through a branch. That will wick in colour, but death follows soon after.

I chopped a head and put the stem in glycerine solution once. It was taken up, and the bud was preserved. It didn't shrink, but instead become like foam rubber. The cat played with it for months. People would marvel over it, knowing something wasn't right, but never placing the fact it was all too big. Having never shrunk as it dried. I didn't do a before and after, but I don't think it lost any weight. If you really squished a bit some moisture would be released. It passed as almost dry enough though. I could develop a spray called '60%' designed to stop buds drying to a crisp. I imagine someone will be developing a new 'stay heavy' spray moments after reading. It's not as if glycerine even tastes much. It's not something I could justify though. It was just for fun.

Bloody newbs and their daft ideas lol

That's cool! Would love to hear more about how you did it and what kind of glycerin solution.

I've been thinking about trying to preserve a bud.. just as a curiosity for my cannabis bar.

How long did it last?

I was thinking of setting a gorgeous purple bud in an epoxy that would harden.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Now this is what I was looking for! Thanks bro for the info. So if Franco from GH Seeds got cannabis to taste like what was grown around it, I wonder what would happen if a cannabis plant was grown in the middle of a poppy field?!? Interesting...

I've heard people say that cannabis grown beside onions taste more oniony. Heard the same about strawberries and mint.

I would try growing cannabis in the center of a field of cannabis plants.
Should taste like cannabis.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Sorry, I missed the replies.

The preserved bud lasted months. Maybe a year. It's green colour slowly faded towards brown, but it never fell apart or went funny. It just became unwanted.

The glycerine method of preserving flowers is well documented. I didn't think it up, I looked it up. I remember standing the stem in the solution and waiting days. It's 25 years ago now, but I think I left on the fans, and their appearance told me I wasn't going to get any further with it.

We obviously gave it somebody to skin up with lol It wouldn't crumble, it was too spongy. The most finger pressure you could apply, would mosh it. Like a jelly turns back to water when you eat it. But needing a lot more pressure.

Gelatine wouldn't work. That's somewhat like powdered bones. It had to be glycerine. A liquid from the baking isle.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Anyone ever tried to set a bud in epoxy?
I'm gonna be trying that this week. I got some epoxy resin to seal a solar cell I made and have a bunch left over so I grabbed a couple silicone molds. Gonna try and make those little desk pyramids, but with weed buds inside.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I'm gonna be trying that this week. I got some epoxy resin to seal a solar cell I made and have a bunch left over so I grabbed a couple silicone molds. Gonna try and make those little desk pyramids, but with weed buds inside.

I'd love to see it when your done

Drewsif

If this kind of thing worked farmers would have figured this out a long time ago and would be dumping left over oranges on apple fields and vice versa. Or vineyards dumping various fruits on their grape fields.

Youre right, composting is a myth. If this kind of hippy crap worked they'd feed beef to cows to make super cow.