What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Using Bubble bags on slightly moldy buds

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
High there!

This year I had a rotten harvest season, horrible temps and humidity created a bit more than my average yiled of mold this year. I have about 8oz or more of buds I'd like to process into hash.

I've decided I'd like to make Bubble hash from it, as it seems to be the only technique that actually physically removes the mold. I may also further process the Bubble into oil after the fact, but first I want to remove as much mold as possible.

I'm looking into buying the bags, but I'm interested in the proper technique to use them specificly for mold removal, I've noticed that there are different combos of screen sizes, how do they work to remove the mold??

G

You'd probably be better off making oil out of it, the mold spores will freeze and stick to the glass or whatever you use and there's less chance of them filtering through, espeically if you use a filter.

Biftaman said:
You'd probably be better off making oil out of it, the mold spores will freeze and stick to the glass or whatever you use and there's less chance of them filtering through, espeically if you use a filter.
Oil BAD bubble GOOD.Mold is way smaller than the micron sizes in bubblebags they float all the way to the bottom with the waste water.There is olready a thread about this in the Hash section too.Just go there you will see what I mean.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
when you can see mold, it is made up of millions of micoscopic particles... when the moldy weed material goes in the water and gets whooshed and sloshed about, the visible mold structures that you can see, get broken back down to the millions of tiny particles which are many times smaller than the smallest screen size.... The mold particles goe down the drain with the wastewater.... Thats wabout the best way to explain it
Just rinse ur hash in each bag with clean water prior to collection(like you woud with non moldy material anyway) and youll have no problems.... My hasberry crop suffered a lot of mold-just had a shitty autmun man, anyway i used some stuff along with ,my trim that was so moldy it looked like a dead run over animal on the side of the road and it made wonderful mold free hash...
If you want to make oil then doing like you said and bubbling 1st, then oiling is the way to go.
happy hashing

Last edited:

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
I realize that there is a similar thread, and of course I dd read it, and searched for more threads before posting this one, I found that the other thread was clogged up with too much talk about oil and not enough info on Bubble.

I think the main question I had was answered by igrowdadankest & Harry Gypsna, that being which mesh sizes are best for dealing with mold, the answer seems to be that mold spores will fall through even the finest mesh used for hash because they are so small.

Thankyou igrow and Harry!

Last edited:
G

BACKCOUNTRY said:
I realize that there is a similar thread, and of course I dd read it, and searched for more threads before posting this one, I found that the other thread was clogged up with too much talk about oil and not enough info on Bubble.

I think the main question I had was answered by igrowdadankest & Harry Gypsna, that being which mesh sizes are best for dealing with mold, the answer seems to be that mold spores will fall through even the finest mesh used for hash because they are so small.

Thankyou igrow and Harry!

but still, there'd be mold spores trapped in the collected resin I would think. It's still work great and the amount of mold in the has would be small but don't totally discount oil seeing as the process involves not even breaking the bud up and disturbing the mold but leaving the bud and mold on it in a frozen lump intact while stripping just the oils. that's all i'm getting at. But fair enough the thread was about using bubble bags but i thought you were open to discussion.

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
BACKCOUNTRY said:
.............I may also further process the Bubble into oil after the fact, but first I want to remove as much mold as possible.
I did say I was interested in possibly making oil from the Bubble hash as a double precaution, although it would be made using Ethanol cuz I won't put Butane or denatured alcohol in my body, even if it is supposed to all blow off.

But yeah, you are right, this thread was about Bubble, but thanks for the idea.

daddy fingaz

just pick out the worst of the mould and bubble it up mate, me and my boys have done it a few times with a 3 bag system and been fine!! no worries!!

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
Try thrushing your nugs around in some cold water before you use the bags. I noticed that a lot of the mold will rise and float on the surface of the bucket and you can just scoop it up and dispose of it. I have the eight bag system and if you get the same i would recommend throwing the stuff in the first three bags away. For bubblebags thats the blue green and red bags. The other bags should give ya something nice.

T

THCV

backcountry, bubblebagging moldy weed makes for excellent mold-free hash. i have done it many times, works for PM and even aphids too. once dry, under the scope, it's all trichomes. in fact, it works so well that i don't even sweat it anymore when i see mold, i just throw it in a ziplock and into the freezer, knowing that the trichs will be saved and smoked. it's easy to taste mold in your smoke (yuck!) so it's not like you'll smoke it without knowing. but the mold does not make it into the hash.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
i havent tasted or seen any mold inthis hashberry hash made from some of the worst moldiest buds you ever saw in ur life..... You will see mold in ur hash if you have it...it will be white bits running through the hash and may smell of ammonia when you break a lump up (or at least that is the case when bubblehash gets mold from being pressed in a lump while still too wet)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts