What's new

Using a Lab Heater/chiller to clean your smoking equipment. WIN

negative37dBA

Veteran
I saw a item called the rip and rinse online. I thought I can make one of those with the old lab chiller/heater circulator I have so easily. Super simple setup here. I used a stopper and made a hole in the top that fits the tubing that runs to the chiller. This stopper fits my one beaker piece perfect but multi fit stoppers are out there and easy to use to fit many size of rigs. The tubing I am using fits perfectly inside the down stem so I just pushed it in there.
Now I fill the heater/chiller with cleaning solution. I have some clear fuel filters coming to put inline that will catch the crud and are easily replaceable when dirty.
Now I set the piece in a plastic tub in case there are leaks and fire up the heater part of the circulator. It pushes the heated cleaning fluid through the piece over and over cleaning and filtering as it goes.... I go do something else for a bit and come back to a sparkling clean rig...WOOT!
Here are some pictures. Still waiting on the inline filters to show up but you get the idea. Pretty cool reuse of something I couldn't get rid of anyway for much. Going to get a couple multi size finned stoppers to fit my other pieces and then it will be done.
IMG_8529 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8531 - Copy.JPG

Here is a piece that went from disgusting to near perfect. That combination of the flow and gentle heated fluid does the trick!
IMG_8536 - Copy.JPG

Cant wait to get the finned stoppers and filters for the final touch. Automated or nearly auto rig cleaning is at my fingertips. I can also put the small pieces like bowls and stems and such inside the heater to clean them at the same time...so nice!
Have a sweet day all. Peace, negative.

negative37dBA

Veteran
I had this same idea about 20 years ago... lolololol

Glad someone has produced a product and folks are taking advantage of the idea. :D
They don't seem to sell well and the companies website is a joke. I saw one go for $16.50 on the bay with $18.00 shipping. Seemed hella fishy. Like the guy bought his own listing because no 1 bid... No way something like that can sell for less than 20.00. It all built from stainless and looks quality.

negative37dBA

Veteran
I got the oil filters in today. Just sniped the 3/8 line and popped the filter on. It is made for 3/8 tubing so that is nice. Popped a zip tie on there just for safety sake.
IMG_8646 - Copy.JPG

This is still in rough testing. Having to custom file down stoppers to fit my rigs. Still looking for the right type online. I am just going to use that ice cream container tho to serve as a safety catch. No need to make it more fancy. it works perfectly, just need to make it a bit more user friendly for me.
IMG_8645 - Copy.JPG

In the end I will set it up on one of the wire racks I have in this room at a friendly height. I can already tell the fluid is cleaner after only running it 10 minutes. Woot! I am doing a test right now with my daily driver to see how far I can bring it back from being so dirty.
Have a sweet day all. Peace, negative.

negative37dBA

Veteran
Getting closer to a finished design without putting in much money or effort. Did not want to spend a bunch of time redesigning the wheel here.
Used the existing bolts that hold the top on to attach some 1/2" emt single hole clamps. Gives the very flexible tubing some support and lets me keep a eye on filter life. I may run the other side a bit different but the white tub needs to sit beside it so this works. I drilled 2, 5/8" holes in the top of the ice cream container to run the lines through. This gives me some splash protection and keeps the smell to a minimum. This is located in my lung room so it all get pulled out and filtered anyway. The smell is very light from the cleaning solution so it is not a issue.
IMG_8681 - Copy.JPG

If I get a leak or a stopper pops off this will hold the full volume of cleaning fluid without spilling. I don't usually leave it running for to long unattended. Not sure if it has low fluid pump shut off protection or not...might have to see.
This is helping to have! It makes it so easy to clean that I am doing it more often and that's makes it even easier to....win! I am using some reusable zip ties...those are nice. In a spot like the filter that will get replaced it is nice to reuse them. Had 1 nice spill of the BRIGHT PINK cleaning fluid...boy that left a nice mark on the carpet. Was able to get it all out though.
Have a great day all. Peace, negative.

negative37dBA

Veteran
Ok I dont have a before picture. I accidentally deleted it. The unit was a dark coated disaster with almost the entire inside surface coated pretty heavily. Kind of used and abused. No real cleaning regime. This is how it came out after about 3, 10 minute sessions in the cleaner I have assembled.
IMG_8690 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8691 - Copy.JPG

Not perfect but really amazing considering the condition it was in. I have a feeling a couple more sessions will get it even better. Really just that 1 stubborn spot and a few little bits here and there.
IMG_8692 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8693 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8694 - Copy.JPG

Now that I have this up and running its so easy to use my rigs are staying waaaay cleaner. Just a quick run through the cleaner and good as new. Particularly so for rigs that are not abused or not that dirty to begin with.
Have a great day all. Peace, negative.

Dime

When I worked for Toyota people would bring in their rings, pipes,and bongs and put them in the ultrasonic cleaner and at the end of the shift they would look new