What's new

USA: GPS Tracking Without a Warrant Declared Legal

Well, to be fair, capitalism is based on inequality. If i make more money then you, I can afford a nicer house with a big fence, gate and ultimately, privacy. Lol, this IS the American way.

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
Without a doubt, Americans have been blessed with the right of the 1st ammendment, but also the freedom to get their asses up and leave if they so choose.

Don't get it twisted, I want the government OUT OF MY LIFE, but even with all her faults she's STILL the best place in the world to live.

The grass is always greener until you actually get there and realize it's nothing but crabgrass.

I can't get onboard with the whole 'I hate America' shit, but I do hate what certain groups would like her to become and I'll do my damnedest to fight for that ideal, instead of turning tail.

Oh yeah...:moon:

:laughing:

I can live with that... lol Its not so much where we are now... which blows donkey cock, it just ive watched for the last 10 years as we slowly went from america best country in the world to what we are now... America the poor police state where the government has a war on there own people... I see it going farther down the toilet without anyone caring.

I wish for the clinton era's when america had money jobs were abundant and we didnt send all are jobs off over seas. You know when there was such thing as a middle class. As for fighting for your ideals.. No one in america does this because we dont have the money too...

Rich people and people with a agenda and money backing them are the ones that have the time to sit and fight for something. They have made it so difficult and money consuming that the average man doesnt have a chance to change anything. Every law in america was made because of someone's check book... Hell even the president and everyone elected is elected by money...

bought and paid for so they can help someone else with enough money to buy them... Its a disgusting way to do business and we end up in the toilet because of it... Because of this i hate what my country is not what it could be...

and not that this warrants this but i got to keep it going...

:moon:
lol
:laughing:

Last edited:

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
If the SCOTUS over turns this ruling it sure will seem like the 9th can't win for losing. This ruling seems totally out of character for the 9th. It will be a shame if the SCOTUS uphold the ruling. Oh well, I guess I'll have to own at least two vehicles. One to park at my home and drive to the discrete location where I've stashed my other car. What a pain in the ass.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When I lived overseas I use to debate with my friends what made America so great. Our freedoms is what made us great. These days our freedoms are disappearing faster and faster everyday. Freedom in the US has become an illusion. We are becoming nothing more than a run of the mill totalitarian state. What scares me is that America has always been the biggest and badest at everything we've done. I have no doubt we will have the biggest and badest and most advanced totalitarisn fascist dicatatorship in history too.

Welcome to the Police State. Welcome to Tyranny American Style.

Leon Brooks

Oh and yeah, living in the states makes me want a 20' high iron fence topped with razor wire, a moat and a drawbridge.

well in america that in and of it self is illegal. how are the cops supposed to get in?

and if you were allowed to build such a barrier(i would ask you to build one for me too :))some dumbshits kid would try to climb it, fall, break a leg, and sue your ass.

this is the country we live in :cry:

diggdugg

When I lived overseas I use to debate with my friends what made America so great. Our freedoms is what made us great. These days our freedoms are disappearing faster and faster everyday. Freedom in the US has become an illusion. We are becoming nothing more than a run of the mill totalitarian state. What scares me is that America has always been the biggest and badest at everything we've done. I have no doubt we will have the biggest and badest and most advanced totalitarisn fascist dicatatorship in history too.

Welcome to the Police State. Welcome to Tyranny American Style.

Now that is one scarey but potentially true statement!

unless you are wealthy enough to have fences and gates.
which is another bigger implication, "everyone is created equal but some are more equal than others"
This is the really troubling thing about the ruling.

One justice remarked (I think it's paraphrased and not a direct quote): "...the little personal privacy that still exists... should belong mainly to the rich."

DC's appellate court had a contrasting ruling regarding police using GPS tracking without warrants, so we WILL see this case resurface in the SCOTUS.

Pay attention people because the President has the duty of nominating Supreme Court Justices. Personally, I'd rather have people like Judge Napolitano than people like Justice Kegan.

But I digress... the point is we need to change this tide of attacks on our liberties.

M

Mr. Mountain

RF jamming works.

The penalties are pretty minimal. You can build your own jammer for next to nothing.

Limiting the power is key though, if you broadcast too much RF power (or if you broadcast on many frequencies) your jammer will effect a large area (or unintended signals)

Using a jammer while mobile is pretty safe. Although if you were broadcasting from a stationary location long enough you could be located.

Jamming is technically theft, because the frequency on which you are broadcasting (jamming) is owned by someone. Putting "noise" on there signal prevents them from using it for it's intended purpose. This can affect things like cell phone service preventing people from dialing 911, or aviation instruments like navigation.

I am quite well versed in all things RF as I work in a measurement laboratory. If your broadcast is of adequate power (such that I notice it) and you stay in one area while broadcasting I can find your illegal broadcast...

So can the FCC/cell company/cable guy.

BE CAREFUL,

Mr. M

onegreenday

Veteran
Democracy Now

Democracy Now

good program on this issue of GPS tracking.

http://www.democracynow.org/2010/9/2/appeals_court_ruling_allows_government_to

Appeals Court Ruling Allows Government to Use GPS to Track People’s Moves
Gps

A federal court in California has issued a ruling that’s raising widespread alarm among advocates for civil liberties. Last month, the US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit said law enforcement agents can sneak onto a person’s property, plant a GPS device on their vehicle, and track their every movements. The court’s ruling means the spying is legal in California and eight other Western states. [includes rush transcript]

JUAN GONZALEZ: A federal court in California has issued a ruling that’s raising widespread alarm among advocates for civil liberties. [Last] month, the US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit said law enforcement agents can sneak onto a person’s property, plant a GPS device on their vehicle, and track their every movements.

The ruling came in the case of Juan Pineda-Moreno, an Oregon resident who was suspected of growing marijuana. In 2007, Drug Enforcement agents snuck onto Pineda-Moreno’s property in the middle of the night and planted a GPS device on the bottom of his Jeep. Pineda-Moreno ended up pleading guilty to the marijuana charges, but has challenged the government’s evidence obtained through GPS. But the US Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals has now twice rejected his case.

In a dissent, Chief Judge Alex Kozinski accused the majority of, quote, "cultural elitism" for issuing a ruling he said would only affect lower-income Americans. Kozinski says anyone who can afford to surround their homes with security gates, fences and booths would effectively be exempt.

The court’s ruling means the spying is legal in California and eight other Western states. In a separate case this month, the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit took a different view, ruling the GPS spying illegal. The issue is expected to eventually reach the Supreme Court.

Adam Cohen is an attorney and writer for Time magazine who has been following this story. His article for Time magazine is called "The Government Can Use GPS to Track Your Moves." He’s also a former member of the New York Times editorial board.

I recently interviewed Adam Cohen, and I began by asking about the origins of the case.

(snip)

bentom187

Veteran
i seen this story on TV, one downfall of the device is its battery operated and it lasts for a week,so at somepoint they'll have to come and replace it wich you could then capture them tresspassing on property with signs everywhere with a camera.also you could use public transportation/bike as a alternative when doing illeagle stuff.

onegreenday

Veteran
They just pop in a fresh one, when you go in the store.
They been following me for years
and they are not afraid to show you (they are not afraid of us/they do what they want)

They do stunts like unlocking your car doors.

Defaming you in stores by lying to store employees about you.
They make stupid faces at you in the stores.

They park their cars funny in parking lots(places where normal people would never park) so you know they are following you.

One time they followed me and family out to a dead end cul-de-sac road; where a NORMAL person would go counter-clockwise (as the law requires) but they went around the cul-de-sac clockwise just so you know they are watching you.

They follow me for other reasons besides marijuana (gov dissident)
but there' no doubt .

Homeland security has 1000 agents in Rhode Island per
released documents..........

EDIT: Trespassing does not apply to them It's legal (in the 9th Circuit anyway for now)

i seen this story on TV, one downfall of the device is its battery operated and it lasts for a week,so at somepoint they'll have to come and replace it wich you could then capture them tresspassing on property with signs everywhere with a camera.also you could use public transportation/bike as a alternative when doing illeagle stuff.

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
how to know if the fbi is tracking you

how to know if the fbi is tracking you

gizmodo.com said:
http://gizmodo.com/5655514/want-to-...ng-you-look-for-one-of-these?skyline=true&s=i

Want to know if the government is really tracking you? If you find one of these tucked underneath your car, you can start freaking out.

500x_scaled.om6ne.jpg

A routine visit to the mechanic by a Redditor and his friend turned up this ominous looking device nestled right next to the exhaust on his friend's car.

After promptly ruling out a bomb, other Redditors helped correctly identify the black device as a Guardian ST820—a GPS tracking unit made by Cobham and used exclusively by the army and law enforcement. According the poster, the friend's (now dead) father had ties to the Muslim religious community, and was the subject of quite a bit of FBI interest. That interest also extended to the son, who has supposedly been on an FBI watch list since last year.

"Why my friend is being tracked is anyone's guess, but the only thing I think it could be is his connection to his father," he says. "The FBI tried to get in touch with my friend a few months ago and he referred them to his lawyer and hasn't heard from them since." Redditors have thus far suggested sending the unit to France, Uganda, Cambodia, Kazakhstan, Yemen, Oceana, United Kingdom, Fiji, Estonia, Denmark, and Somalia (in that order), the Chilean mine, and Ron Paul's car.

500x_f4v2t.jpg

Want to Know if the FBI Is Tracking You? Look for One of These

According to the poster, his friend's car was also impounded three months, which is when he believes the tracking unit was first placed on the car.

Sadly, such a move isn't without legal precendent. This past August, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit ruled that placing tracking devices underneath cars isn't actually a breach of the Fourth Amendment, so long as law enforcement official think someone is a criminal. Furthermore, this can be done even if your car is parked in your own driveway—a location that does not hold the same reasonable expectation of privacy as, say, a garage. Currently, California and eight other Western states recognize this ruling, according to Adam Cohen, a lawyer and reporter for Time.

Thankfully, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit seems to disagree with this insanity. In a ruling last August, the latter court said that tracking anyone for an extended period of time with GPS does in fact consitute an invasion of privacy and should require a warrant. Yeah, we'll go out on a limb and agree.

Stay tuned for the inevitable Supreme Court decision. And in the mean time, we'd suggest parking in your garage…if you have one.

stay safe

Last edited:

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
its scary how we really are headed into a police state. and theres really nothing we can do.....if anybody tries to organize and go against them they will be declared domestic terrorists and dealt with. what the fuck are we gonna do.....where in the world can you live without being harassed by fucking cops!!!

Latest posts

Latest posts