What's new

US REP wants feds to pull back on med pot raids

vta

Veteran
By Joey Bunch
The Denver Post

U.S. Rep. Jared Polis, D-Boulder, wants "rogue" federal agents to lay off medical marijuana dispensaries after a raid at the home of Highlands Ranch grower on Feb. 12.

Tuesday, Polis sent a letter to U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder asking him to instruct agents to abide by the Justice Department's Oct. 19 directive to allow deference to state laws on legalized medical marijuana use, or to clarify the new position.

Polis posted his letter this afternoon on the progressive political website Square State. In a preamble he referred to "rogue agents ... harassing and raiding our medical marijuana dispensaries."

Reached by phone in Washington this evening, Polis also invoked the White House.

"I think President Obama has clearly stated his position on respecting states that have voted to allow medical marijuana," he said. "I believe the words and action of the agent in charge is in contradiction to the will of the voters of Colorado."

In the letter, he noted a Denver Post story on Feb. 13 that quoted DEA agent Jeffrey Sweetin as saying, "We're still going to continue to investigate and arrest people ... Technically, every dispensary in the state is in blatant violation of federal law."

The grower, Chris Bartkowicz, is free on $10,000 bond after his arrest on a drug-distribution charge. Drug Enforcement Administration agents seized 224 marijuana plants.

He did not return a call for comment this evening.

Justice Department and DEA spokespeople were not immediately available for comment.

Experts have called the case precedent-setting.

"It strikes fear in the hearts of many medical marijuana patients in Colorado, and that's unfortunate," Polis said in an interview.

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Eh, I'd more excited if he'd gotten out in front of it when it happened, instead of waiting to see the popular response and 'polling' for his move.

Better than nothing though I guess

B

Blue Dot

Can we all just agree like 10% of D's nationwide are within compliance.

phan

Good Article. More and more elected representatives are either seeing the light or starting to truely represent their constituents! I just wonder if the DEA agents are really "rogue" or if they continue to raid as part of hidden policy?

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Maybe he's not a "rogue." Maybe he's on the payroll of a drug cartel. I wonder if anybody has checked out that possibility. Every dispensary that's shut down puts more money back into the black market.

blackone

Veteran
Anyone willing to murder prostitutes by the hundreds as soon as they're not useful any more would also be willing to pay high dividents to pigs - that's for sure. We're not talking $45 and a crack pipe here:)

Latest posts

Latest posts