What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

US House to vote on Hinchey-Rohrabacher MMJ amendment this July

mars2112

always hopeful yet discontent
Veteran
From my friends at DRCnet:
http://ga0.org/campaign/hinchey2006/kdignd4p5k36xi?

This July, the US House of Representatives will vote again on the Hinchey-Rohrabacher medical marijuana amendment, which if passed will forbid the US Dept. of Justice from interfering with state medical marijuana laws. Your help is needed -- it is crucial that more members of Congress vote for medical marijuana this year than did last year. Please visit:
http://stopthedrugwar.org/medicalmarijuana/ to e-mail your member of Congress today!

When you're done, please call him or her on the phone to make additional impact -- use the talking points appearing below and to the right in this e-mail to prepare for your phone call. If you still live at the same address (zip code 95134 in San Jose, CA), then your US Rep. is Zoe Lofgren, whose phone number is (202) 225-3072. (If you've moved, you can get the new number through the Congressional Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 or using our lookup tool at http://stopthedrugwar.org/lookup.html.)

Please also tell your friends about this important action alert -- we need for everyone who cares about this to take action, and sending them to our web site to do so will also help to grow our list for the next time.

Again, please visit http://stopthedrugwar.org/medicalmarijuana/ to lobby Congress and help medical marijuana patients today! Thank you for your support.

Sincerely,
David Borden, Executive Director
Stop the Drug War (DRCNet)
P.O. Box 18402, Washington, DC 20036
http://stopthedrugwar.org

Send a letter to the following decision maker(s):
Your Congressperson

Below is the sample letter:

Subject: Vote YES on Hinchey-Rohrabacher Medical Marijuana Amendment

Dear [decision maker name automatically inserted here],

On June 6, 2005, the US Supreme Court made a ruling upholding the power of the federal government to ban medical use of marijuana. While this ruling does not change law in the states that have passed medical marijuana protections, it does mean that the federal government -- unfortunately -- will still have the power to use its resources to undermine the will of the voters or legislatures of those states.

I think that is wrong, and I urge you to take an important opportunity coming up to set things right. The Hinchey-Rohrabacher amendment, to be considered this July, 2006, in the debate over the Science-State-Justice-Commerce Appropriations bill, would prohibit the federal government from arresting, raiding or prosecuting patients who are abiding by state medical marijuana laws.

Please vote YES when the Hinchey-Rohrabacher amendment comes to the floor. Medical marijuana patients and their providers should not have to live in fear that police will break down their doors and take them to jail because of their choice of medicine, certainly not in states whose voters or legislators have voted to protect them. That is a horrendous state of affairs, and it is irrational to divert federal resources to attacking patients that could otherwise be used to protect the nation from terrorists who want to attack us.

Voting YES on Hinchey-Rohrabacher is the only rational or responsible choice that you can make on this amendment.

Sincerely,
[your name]

What's At Stake:

Since medical marijuana initiatives were first passed nine years ago, the DEA has conducted raids against medical marijuana clinics in California, recently with increasing frequency, forcing hundreds if not thousands of patients to procure marijuana in the black market instead. In a ruling issued on June 6, 2005, the US Supreme Court upheld the government's power to do this.

While this doesn't change anything -- state laws protecting medical marijuana patients and their providers still are binding upon state and local law enforcement authorities -- it is a missed opportunity for the Court to rein in federal overreaching and help some of our society's most vulnerable members.

Fortunately, Congress will have a chance this July, 2006, to set things right. The Hinchey-Rohrabacher amendment, to be considered during the debate on the Science-State-Justice-Commerce Appropriations bill, would prohibit the federal government from arresting, raiding or prosecuting patients who are abiding by state medical marijuana laws.

Your help is needed to get it passed. Please visit http://stopthedrugwar.org/medicalmarijuana/ to send an e-mail to your US Representative asking him or her to vote YES on the Hinchey-Rohrabacher Amendment. When you are done, please call your Rep. on the phone as well to make even greater impact -- call the Congressional Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 to be connected, or use our lookup tool at http://stopthedrugwar.org/lookup.html to get the direct number.

TALKING POINTS FOR YOUR PHONE CALL OR LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

The Hinchey-Rohrabacher Amendment, which will come up during debate on the House Science-State-Justice-Commerce Appropriations bill this July, would forbid the Dept. of Justice from using funds to undermine state medical marijuana laws.

More than three out of four Americans think medical use of marijuana should be legal, according to polls, and eleven states -- Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Vermont, Rhode Island, and Washington -- have all enacted medical marijuana laws in recent years.

Despite such strong support, the federal government continues to block even research to determine marijuana's medical benefits. Yet the 1999 Institute of Medicine report determined that marijuana does have medical benefit.
Medical organizations such as the American Nurses Association and the American Academy of Family Physicians support legal access to medical marijuana with a doctor's recommendation.

Blocking patients from receiving needed medicine -- threatening them with arrest, prosecution and incarceration -- is senseless and cruel.

Congress should respect state's rights and not used armed federal agents to threaten patients and providers who are in compliance with state law.

Take action this month!

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran
here we go again!!! ::Has fingers crossed::

These guys are awesome for getting this on the board again.

G

As long as Bush is running office we will never see this happen.........They stepped in to stop New Mexico from starting a program.........That's my 2 cents worth

mars2112

Veteran
they also stepped in and stopped a soverign country (mexico) from passing their own decrim law.. bush is evil

but i have hope for this bill.. they will keep bringing it up for vote until it passes...

G

Soon Bush will be gone.............I just pray they don't have any more kids running for office in the future..... :yoinks:

rsteeb

De-fund the atrocities

De-fund the atrocities

mars2112 said:
HELP ASA STOP THE DEA RAIDS!

Urge Congress to Pass the Hinchey-Rohrabacher Medical Marijuana Amendment!

http://www.safeaccessnow.org/article.php?id=3430

HELL yeah, Urge your congress-critters to cosponser Hinchey-Rohrabacher!!

Zoe L is on our side; I have CSPAN coverage of last year's debate, [on DVD, if anybody wants a look] -- the pompous poseurs' pontifications before the ill-fated vote; Ms Lofgren proudly stood and testified on our behalf!

Souder and his "Carbolic Smoke Balls" was the prime evil mover. That psycho bastard needs to be de-elected. Google

http://www.google.com/search?&q=Fusarium+oxysporum+souder

:yoinks:

Last edited:

XxJ03YxX

*crossing fingers*

Please, EVERYONE, medical user or not medical user, all who believe in this should do their part, don't agree and just sit their, do your part, help thousands of sick people get their medication without having to watch their back!

Keefhead

An old wise sayer of sooths once said something like: "You are either part of the solution, or you are part of the problem." :chin:

In this case its ignorent politicians. If everyone who reads this will simply make a call, it would make an impact. :bat:

D0nC0smic

i don't have too much hope for it this year, but if we overhaul congress in november it might have a good shot next year

mars2112

Veteran
Medical-Marijuana Grower Lobbies Washington Lawmakers For Protection

June 19, 2006
NBC4.tv

SKY VALLEY, Calif. -- A Sky Valley man will be in Washington, D.C., on Monday and Tuesday to lobby lawmakers, especially Rep. Mary Bono, R-Palm Springs, for protection for himself and other medicinal-marijuana users in California.

Garry Silva will lobby for passage of the Hinchey-Rohrabacher Amendment, The Desert Sun reported.

The amendment, put forward by Rep. Maurice Hinchey, D-Hurley, N.Y., and Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, R-Huntington Beach, would ban the federal Drug Enforcement Administration from making raids on medical marijuana patients in states, including California, where medical use of the drug is legal.

Bono, up for re-election in November, voted for the amendment in 2003 and 2004 but against it last year. Silva is scheduled to meet with Bono this afternoon, the Desert Sun reported.

A spokeswoman for Bono said in an e-mail to the Sun Thursday that Bono changed her vote after last year's Supreme Court decision in Raich vs. Gonzales, which ruled that federal drug laws take precedence over state medical-marijuana laws.

A vote on the amendment is expected around June 27 or 28, said Caren Woodson of Americans for Safe Access, a patient advocacy group, which is paying for Silva's trip to Washington, told the Desert Sun.

Silva, who is confined to a wheelchair, said he suffers from continuous pain as a result of injuries he suffered when federal drug agents raided his home and confiscated several dozen medical-marijuana plants in March.

At the time, he was growing medical marijuana for patients at a collective dispensary, CannaHelp in Palm Desert. He was not arrested, but the agents confiscated about 37 plants, according to The Desert Sun.

Keefhead

I wrote him, he wrote me. I changed the name (mine) to protect the guilty in this post. Sure, his return letter is a form letter, but its nice for him to have one at all, and to read it, he is on our side.

Dear Mr. xxxxxx:

Thank you for contacting me regarding our nation's policy on the medicinal use of marijuana. This is a very timely and sensitive issue, and I appreciate hearing your views on the matter.

As you may be aware, several states, including California, have enacted laws that allow doctors within those states to prescribe marijuana for medicinal use in various circumstances. However, federal law as interpreted by the past two Administrations has been used to block these state and local laws. In addition, the United States Supreme Court has upheld the view that federal law overrides the state enactments governing the practice of medicine, which has traditionally been a matter for the states to determine.

The Bush Administration's actions with regard to medical marijuana are especially troubling. For example, the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) conducted an outlandish raid in September 2002 on a state- and locally-sanctioned medical marijuana cooperative in Santa Cruz, California. Early this year, a man deputized by the City of Oakland to raise marijuana for medicinal use was prosecuted on three federal counts of marijuana cultivation and conspiracy, and was convicted because the judge refused to allow any mention of the man's intent. The majority of jurors in this case publicly apologized and called for the verdict to be overturned on appeal, as they felt misled during the trial into perceiving the defendant as a large-scale drug dealer. Fortunately, the judge did recognize the "extraordinary, unique circumstances of this case," and imposed the lightest prison term possible, one day, which had already been served.

I believe that the Administration's crusade against medical marijuana is highly misguided. There are many more serious priorities in our nation's efforts to combat our illicit drug problem, and limited resources are being wasted on individuals who seek merely to alieve the pain of terminal illnesses within the bounds of state and local laws and regulations.

You may be interested to know that I co-sponsored H.R. 2087, the States' Rights to Medical Marijuana Act. This bill would provide that the Controlled Substances Act and the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act shall not prohibit or otherwise restrict a physician from prescribing or recommending marijuana for medical use in a state that allows the usage of medical marijuana. It would also prevent federal interference against an individual who has a recommendation by a physician for medical use. The law would also allow pharmacies to obtain and hold marijuana for such a prescription or recommendation and would allow state entity to produce and distribute marijuana for prescriptions.

I also voted for Representative Maurice Hinchey's amendment to prevent the Department of Justice from interfering with the wishes of states which had decided to allow the usage of medical marijuana. Unfortunately this amendment failed a vote in the House, but I look forward to the next opportunity to vote in support of states rights to allow the use of medical marijuana.

I continue to support sound, sensible policies concerning the medicinal use of marijuana. Based on recent studies, it appears that the benefits patients receive from the medicinal use of marijuana outweigh adverse consequences. Even the highly respected New England Journal of Medicine has called for an end to the ban on medical marijuana, referring to it as "misguided, heavy-handed and inhumane."

Please know that I share your concerns and will keep your views in mind as this issue is discussed in the 109th Congress.

Sincerely,
Mike Honda
Member of Congress

mars2112

Veteran
just in from CA norml :(

The House of Representatives just rejected the HInchey Amendment
by a voted of 163-259. The margin was not as good as last year, when
the vote was 161-264.
------
California NORML (415) 563-5858 // canorml@igc.org
2215-R Market St. #278, San Francisco CA 94114

Last edited:

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
Crap....all the threats in this world and country and we shall continue to waste money chasing down patients and usurping states' rights...

The pharm lobby is pretty dang powerful...$$

My ass is walking into ASA with a donation this week....

mars2112

Veteran
couldn't agree with ya more my friend.

btw, we picked up 2 more votes since last time it was introduced.. hey it's an accomplishment.. means more support next time

from caren @ asa
I have verified through Dem Cloakroom that we picked up Norm Dicks (D-WA)
and Bennie Thompson (D-MS). Waiting for roll call vote for rest of the
analysis!

mybeans420

resident slackass
Veteran
mars2112 said:
btw, we picked up 2 more votes since last time it was introduced.. hey it's an accomplishment.. means more support next time

from caren @ asa

its all a waiting game
it's GOING TO HAPPEN EVENTUALLY.
how active we are in the movement though, will determine the pace at which we will reach our goal.

think about it this way.... it'll have been 10 years since the passage of prop 215 this november.
in that time over 20% of the states have joined california be it via ballot initiative or thier legislatures taking action.

it's just a matter of time.

things are looking good for the long run :wink:

peace,
beans

Latest posts

Latest posts