What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

US Dollar Very Weak

G

Man, i just checked on XE.com and did a convertion for the USD to UK Pound. Boy, was i majorly shocked. Right now the US dollar is equal to .53 cents and if you convert UK Pound over to US dollar. You get a whole $1.90. Man, i didn't think it was that bad. I guess we brought it on our self, or should i say our government did. Just doing alittle research for marketing over in UK and just saw the convertion. I think i need to sell most of my books over there and then have UK pounds sent over to me, but i'm sure i'll get taxed. God forebid the little guy gets over legally. Just thought i would see if anyone else noticed the weak USD.
Night all,
BG

Laxpunker

Yes actually I did. I own a bed and breakfast and up until the last couple years I didn't take foreign currency. It was too much hassle and somehow I'd end up losing money in the end. However now I'm pleased when I show up and see Euro's and other assorted odd looking currencies in the cash drawer.

Gangabiss

free your SELF
Veteran
Ye I just noticed this while converting my payment for Seedbay.
If I remember correctly it used to be about 1.5 dollars to the pound, and when I checked yesterday it is nearly at 2 dollars to 1 pound...what the hell is that little weasel doing to your economy?

M

Mr. Nevermind

Hey Gold dust, how you been?

The dollar has been weak to the euro for a while now. Which is why alot of peopel from Eu are buyuing property in the states, its a steal. Taking your $$ overseas aint a fun time for the USA. Look into gold though. Its the univversal currency

Nevermind

G

Laxpunker said:
Yes actually I did. I own a bed and breakfast and up until the last couple years I didn't take foreign currency. It was too much hassle and somehow I'd end up losing money in the end. However now I'm pleased when I show up and see Euro's and other assorted odd looking currencies in the cash drawer.

I don't blame you one bite. I remember when the Euro came out and was weak at first and i'm compairing it to the USD. Right now, the Euro is 1 EUR = 1.28420 USD 1 USD = 0.778697 EUR. I've watched my country just go down hill since i was a kid. First with the oil fields in the Gulf shutting down in the 80 and then all the major companies moving oversea for lower wages and less laws. To, out sourcing to other countries. It's not looking good for us. I hate to say it, but i'll be moving oversea's soon enough and opening a business. Already looked into everything from. Their version of LLC,Banking, Tax ID, etc. I'm tired of busting my ass and getting taxed from hell and not getting anything for it. Shit, I'd be happy with some kind of health care. Even if it was some basic service. Better then what we got here, Nothing. Sorry, just ranting before going to bed... I'm tired, don't pay any attention to me. I hope the best for our countries future and the kids.
Take care,
BG

Laxpunker

If it weren't for the hassle of trying to get a visa I'd be over seas already. I mean I have a business over here that is running well so I wouldn't shut it down. Then I could work on starting something else over there, however I don't think starting a small business is going to get me a work visa...let alone a visa for my family.

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
yeah its funny we never notice though. a double cheeseburger was 99 cents 5 yrs ago and its 99 cents today. its only when you do foreign exchanges.

its really funny to think though if you just would've dropped all your cash in gold you'd be much better off now.

Laxpunker

I swear, those rappers are going to come out the richest of all after they smelt their bling down.

M

Mr. Nevermind

Laxpunker said:
I swear, those rappers are going to come out the richest of all after they smelt their bling down.

Indeed, while it looks silly its actually a good investment. The value of their gold jewelery will never decrease. Gold is a great investment. Gold , silver and if you have way too much $$, diamonds. You can have $1 million in diamonds in the palm of your hand.

Nevermind

Laxpunker

Diamonds actually aren't a very good investment. If you know what too look for they are, however it's not like getting gold where the karots are laid out for you and you know what you're getting. The diamond industry is a very sheisty industry...I just wish the little woman felt the same way.

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
if you can ever avoid diamonds please do so. don't get me wrong horrible things happen in the name of gold and silver too but nothing like diamonds.

there are villages of one armed children, thousands of people that have had limbs taken off with a machete, and a pipeline that runs the length of several countries throughout diamond territory that the militias use as a sort of terrorism device. like don't fuck around or the pipe will get a few more marks on it. they'll all happily testify to the horrors of the diamond industry.

not that not buying diamonds solves the problem in any sense but at least it isn't YOUR money.

Alex-F

Traktor driver
Veteran
The $ isn't all that weak, it's just that the pound is really strong and has been for years now :wink:

Laxpunker

motaco said:
if you can ever avoid diamonds please do so. don't get me wrong horrible things happen in the name of gold and silver too but nothing like diamonds.

there are villages of one armed children, thousands of people that have had limbs taken off with a machete, and a pipeline that runs the length of several countries throughout diamond territory that the militias use as a sort of terrorism device. like don't fuck around or the pipe will get a few more marks on it. they'll all happily testify to the horrors of the diamond industry.

not that not buying diamonds solves the problem in any sense but at least it isn't YOUR money.

Blood diamonds and diamonds are another matter. Blood diamonds aren't even at the core of the genocide that goes on in africa. Different cultural beliefs, religion and other petty differences are the cause. The diamonds are just a way for those military groups to buy arms...it's a horrible business.

Morals aside the real reason you shouldn't buy diamonds is the fact they aren't technically worth all that much. The monetary value of a diamond is subjective, namely in the fact that what you buy it for is no where near what you'll sell it for 10, 20, even 50 years down the line. Nothing against those in the legitimate diamond business, they've created the perfect scheme however they are scamming people out of hard earned money.

treble

yeah I think Alex-F's got it ....the UK pound is just strong now.... I been hanging for the $ to drop my way so I can cash out my last franklins... not many left but I aint gonna let em go for a song..... in March they were saying I would pick up about 12 - 15% on the ForEx but its going the wrong way for me and has been for about 6 weeks.

come on you yanks... how about a recession so I can cash my benjamins out nice and fat like huh?

later
treb

Laxpunker

I wouldn't put much faith into the ForEX right now, however I have seen odder things pull through for people.

G

WOW, thanks everyone. Didn't think this thread was going to be so active. I was alittle tired and do some currency researching. Didn't think there would be this much talking about different method of currency. I'm just thinking to figure out how to get my USD oversea without taking a big hit. Some already know i'll be heading over to spain and opening up a business. I just don't want to take a as big hit on my money when i transfer it over. I've looked into the gold, but just like transfering cash. I'm going to have to buy the gold at US rate. Then when i sell it over in EU. It's going to be for their rate IE the Euro dollar. If i'm wrong, could someone explain. Right now, if i was to wire transfer $200,000 in USD's. I would take about a $44,223 hit. That's not includling fee's for transfering and taxes. To me, that's a nice hit on the cash i worked hard for. Not that i have that much to transfer over, but still the same rate on my cash. I'm just trying to get the BIGGIST bang for my buck. Buying a house and either renting a store front or maybe buying if the price is right. Any and all help is welcome. I'd like to hear more on this gold stuff. Over the next 6 months or so. Should be working alot and making some good money. Just don't want to loose as much to the exchange if possible. Thanks everyone for posting your thoughts. Really surprised at how much imput so far. Take care and have a nice day.
Later,
BG

treble

GoldDustWomen some banks in other countries can provide USD accounts and especially at deposits in that range. I think that would give you your currency off shore to exchange as needed or subject to fluctations between the local currency and USD that fall in your favour.

companies use these types of facilities to hedge on ForEx fluctations if they have a long lead time on their imports and they are paying their supplier in USD.

at least that's what I imagined might be available out there :wink:

treb

Alex-F

Traktor driver
Veteran
If you had longer than 6 months I'd suggest investing into the Hemp Hotel as they're looking for funds :chin:

Latest posts

Latest posts