What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Uruguay About to Fully Legalize Cannabis. For Real.

fatigues

Veteran
You have probably missed this news from yesterday. It concerns the cannabis policy of a South American nation that almost nobody in North America thinks about from day-to-day unless they are from there or have direct business there.

Whatever the case, Uruguay yesterday passed a bill in its lower house that approved a VERY controversial proposal to fully legalize, tax and regulate cannabis in that country.

This is no half-measure. This is not a case where local law allows what the Federal law still makes criminal. This is the real deal -- and it is about to happen in Uruguay. The fact that the bill passed in the lower house is important, as that is where the majority of the government coalition was weakest. It is much stronger in Uruguay's Senate, where the bill is expected to easily pass in the next few weeks.

The upshot of all of this is that Uruguay is about to become the first country on earth where cannabis is fully legal.

If you ALSO missed the news from Canada last week, the Leader of the Liberal Party of Canada, Justin Trudeau (the son of a former Prime Minister), announced his support for the Legalization, Taxation and Regulation of Cannabis across all of Canada. Trudeau's Liberal Party is currently leading in Canada's national polls and appears likely to be the next Prime Minister of Canada; however, the next federal election in Canada is not until October 2015.

(MONTEVIDEO AP) Uruguay's unprecedented plan to put the government at the center of a legal marijuana industry has made it halfway through congress, giving President Jose Mujica a long-sought victory in his effort to explore alternatives to the global war on drugs.

All 50 members of the governing Broad Front coalition approved the proposal in a party line vote just before midnight Wednesday, keeping a narrow majority of the 96 lawmakers present after more than 13 hours of passionate debate.

The measure now goes to the Senate, where Mujica's coalition has a bigger majority and passage is expected to come within weeks for the proposal to make Uruguay the world's first nation to create a legal, regulated marijuana market.

"Sometimes small countries do great things," said Ethan Nadelmann, executive director of the U.S. Drug Policy Alliance. "Uruguay's bold move does more than follow in the footsteps of Colorado and Washington. It provides a model for legally regulating marijuana that other countries, and U.S. states, will want to consider - and a precedent that will embolden others to follow in their footsteps."

Marijuana legalization efforts have gained momentum across the Americas in recent years as leaders watch the death toll rise from military responses to unabated drug trafficking in Mexico and Central America. Presidents Juan Manuel Santos of Colombia and Otto Perez Molina of Guatemala also have called for reforms, and a recent report by a commission of the Organization of American States encouraged new approaches, including legalization of marijuana.

But no sitting president has gone as far as Mujica to support the creation of legal alternatives to marijuana trafficking.

"At the heart of the Uruguayan marijuana regulation bill is a focus on improving public health and public safety," said Hannah Hetzer, a Drug Policy Alliance staffer who moved to Montevideo to help shepherd the proposal. "Instead of closing their eyes to the problem of drug abuse and drug trafficking, Uruguay is taking an important step towards responsible regulation of an existing reality."

Legislators in the governing coalition said putting the government at the center of a legal marijuana industry is worth trying because the global war on drugs had been a costly and bloody failure, and displacing illegal dealers through licensed pot sales could save money and lives.

They also hope to eliminate a legal contradiction in Uruguay, where it has been legal to use pot but against the law to sell it, buy it, produce it or possess even one marijuana plant.

Mujica said he never consumed marijuana, but believes regulations are necessary because many other people do, even though recent polls suggest two-thirds of Uruguayans oppose the plan.

Under the legislation, Uruguay's government would license growers, sellers and consumers, and update a confidential registry to keep people from buying more than 40 grams a month.

Carrying, growing or selling pot without a license could bring prison terms, but licensed consumers could grow up to six plants at a time at home.

Growing clubs with up to 45 members each would be encouraged, fostering enough marijuana production to drive out unlicensed dealers and draw a line between pot smokers and users of harder drugs.

The latest proposal "has some adjustments, aimed at strengthening the educational issue and prohibiting driving under the effects of cannabis," ruling coalition deputy Sebastian Sabini said. "There will be self-growing clubs, and it will also be possible to buy marijuana in pharmacies" that is mass-produced by private companies.

An Institute for Regulation and Control of Cannabis would be created, with the power to grant licenses for all aspects of a legal industry to produce marijuana for recreational, medicinal or industrial use.

Dozens of pro-marijuana activists followed the debate from balconies overlooking the house floor, while others outside held signs and danced to reggae music.

"This law consecrates a reality that already exists: The marijuana sales market has existed for a long time, but illegally, buying it from traffickers, and in having plants in your house for which you can be thrown in jail," said Camilo Collazo, a 25-year-old anthropology student. "We want to put an end to this, to clean up and normalize the situation."

Despite minor steps backwards in the liberalization of some other nations' cannabis laws (famously, in the Netherlands under its current conservative government) the steps that other nations are taking in the legalization of cannabis is now bearing fruit.

Frosy

Excellent news!!! Can anyone tell me about the strains of cannabis grown in Uruguay? What is their National bud of choice

igrowone

Veteran
it's really happening there? so many false hopes in so many places
but it does sound like it, another month or 2 should close the deal
one more coffin nail in the DEA weed empire, may it not rest in peace

Play4Keepz

it's really happening there? so many false hopes in so many places
but it does sound like it, another month or 2 should close the deal
one more coffin nail in the DEA weed empire, may it not rest in peace

I hear you bro, the major difference here is that every member of the Broad Front party including the president, which has a majority in both houses, is backing the bill. The major hurdle was the lower house where they have a smaller majority. Now that its on its way to the senate its expected to pass. God willing -Keepz

Andyo

Veteran
uruguay plant

uruguay plant

This was grown in uruguay the picture taken 6th of april it was finished on may the 6th 4 weeks later its seems to be a hybrid between colombian sativa and indica of some sort a very nice smoke.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=30694&pictureid=865807

Also i might add theres a hatefull beaurocrat in brussels that threatend a while back to stop urugauy getting anti biotics and other medical supplys if they legalise cannabis
Ill try and find a link today ,get this arseholes face known .
maybe find his address.A

Play4Keepz

This was grown in uruguay the picture taken 6th of april it was finished on may the 6th 4 weeks later its seems to be a hybrid between colombian sativa and indica of some sort a very nice smoke.

Also i might add theres a hatefull beaurocrat in brussels that threatend a while back to stop urugauy getting anti biotics and other medical supplys if they legalise cannabis
maybe find his address.A

She is one sexy lady. Props on finishing her. Did you get the seeds out of press or prensado? How'd she smoke?
I'm not Uruguayan, but damn if I am not thinking about moving down there once this bill is passed. I assume you reside in Uruguay? -Keepz

Andyo

Veteran
F1

F1

She is one sexy lady. Props on finishing her. Did you get the seeds out of press or prensado? How'd she smoke?
I'm not Uruguayan, but damn if I am not thinking about moving down there once this bill is passed. I assume you reside in Uruguay? -Keepz

Im in another tropical location now but yes i have a couple of hunderd of the F1 seeds that plant came from im selecting now.
Hopefully ill have a few 1000 stabalised by F4

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I also heard the International Narcotics Control Board have warned Uruguay about their proposed legalisation of cannabis.
Who are these mysterious people? The INCB, is that the narcotics division of the 'Illuminati'? Warned - as in - there will be consequences if you do this?? Withholding sorely needed aid or some other ludicrous punishment! The damn cheek of it!
Uruguay can and should do, whatever Uruguay bloody well wants!!
Hands Off!!!

Growcephus

Veteran
I also heard the International Narcotics Control Board have warned Uruguay about their proposed legalisation of cannabis.
Who are these mysterious people? The INCB, is that the narcotics division of the 'Illuminati'? Warned - as in - there will be consequences if you do this?? Withholding sorely needed aid or some other ludicrous punishment! The damn cheek of it!
Uruguay can and should do, whatever Uruguay bloody well wants!!
Hands Off!!!

Absolutely.

Hell, I'd be willing to help their economy with some tourist cash...if they'll have me. I bet the place is beautiful.

/begins research

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Now the UN are trying to stick their oar in ....

The International Narcotics Control Board (INCB) says it is concerned by the approval by Uruguayan MPs of a bill which would legalise marijuana.

The INCB says the law would "be in complete contravention to the provisions of the international drug treaties to which Uruguay is party".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-23535990

the INCB said that such a law would be in "complete contravention" of the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs of 1961, which bans the sale of cannabis for non-medical use.

What have these muppets said about Washington and Colorado ?

sprinkl

Veteran

maybe find his address.A

What! I'm from Belgium and would like to know his name, so I can spread the word he's a **** deserving hellish torture!

BTW, in Belgium it's 'decriminalized' meaning you won't get persecuted if you have one plant or up to 3 grams of pot. They can take it from you though.
A cannabis social club called Trekt Uw Plant( www.trektuwplant.be ) is growing one plant for each member and they won all court cases against them. There are a few growers on ICmag, check out the outdoor forum!

I really believe it's not going to be long until it's completely legal and we can grow all we want. But we have to be careful that it doesn't become strictly regulated making impossible for everyone to grow! Lot's of money to be fetched, big organisations and industry is lurking... Fuck them, capitalist manipulative evil ****s, once and for all, they've squeezed the earth like an orange for long enough already! Time to take back what is rightfully ours!

fatigues

Veteran
Well, as for the legalization of cannabis being in contravention of the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs - the short strokes comes down to this: they are right. It IS plainly in contravention of that treaty.

Neither Washington State nor Colorado is a signatory to the Convention, but the US Federal Government is -- as is the government of Uruguay.

The solution to that is simple: deliver a notice to the UN Secretary announcing withdrawal from that specific aspect of the treaty which governs cannabis (Schedule 1). Pass a law domestically in Uruguay which withdraws compliance and application of the Single Convention from cannabis and related products set out in that part of Schedule 1 and Schedule IV.

The law must be adopted domestically by each of the signatory members. Each treaty state adopts it in accordance with their own domestic laws. And they can withdraw from some or part of that treaty at any time, too.

Uruguay intends to do so when the bill becomes law. The End.

gallito

My hat is off to Uruguay! Their torch will light the way for other countries follow, but it will be interesting to see how long it takes countries receiving massive U.S. anti-drug monies to get on board (think Mexico & Columbia).

Marco61

This is a mixed blessing I suppose. While they are calling it legalization in my mind it isn't.
The government will regulate it, control the production, and distribution of it. Not only that, you need to register in a government database.

When was the last time you needed to register to buy a six pack or even a prescription pain killer?

True legalization would be the government in cooperation with their food and drug safety agency drafting standards that cannabis must meet to be sold commercially with the right to inspect and shut down commercial processors, not personal gardens. Whether or not their is an age requirement to buy it and whether or not someone needs a retail license to sell it. The end. No database, no plant limits, no government involvement in the production of cannabis.

I honestly wouldn't want other countries to model their system off of Uruguay's or any of the medical/legal US states. The systems are bullshit that could result in harming a lot of naive people who aren't thinking down the road. At anytime, a new government 5-10 years down the road could reverse their stance and persecute that entire database.

Marco61

Andyo

Veteran
ginger

ginger

Of course, b/c while they say they're trying to protect people from "dangerous drugs", they're willing to punish the sick people of Uruguay who need medications by cutting them off. Obviously these people have everyone's best interest in mind. :wallbash:
Maybe raymond yans is angry at being a ginger! probally impotent too .A

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The very thought of someone in a position of power even thinking - 'Let's withhold medicines - that will teach them!' Is beyond my comprehension.
In a strange way, you could argue that they're better off with cannabis than the toxic chemicals the Pharmaceutical Companies force-feed us with. However, there are drugs & medicines, including antibiotics that Uruguay desperately need, as much as any other country on this Earth. People WILL die if medicines are withheld, including children - the most vulnerable sector of any population. Will those that propose and carry out this SICK and inhuman proposal ever be held accountable for their actions? If it was a War, they would.
Very sad times.......

N

new3

This is a mixed blessing I suppose. While they are calling it legalization in my mind it isn't.
The government will regulate it, control the production, and distribution of it. Not only that, you need to register in a government database.

When was the last time you needed to register to buy a six pack or even a prescription pain killer?

True legalization would be the government in cooperation with their food and drug safety agency drafting standards that cannabis must meet to be sold commercially with the right to inspect and shut down commercial processors, not personal gardens. Whether or not their is an age requirement to buy it and whether or not someone needs a retail license to sell it. The end. No database, no plant limits, no government involvement in the production of cannabis.

I honestly wouldn't want other countries to model their system off of Uruguay's or any of the medical/legal US states. The systems are bullshit that could result in harming a lot of naive people who aren't thinking down the road. At anytime, a new government 5-10 years down the road could reverse their stance and persecute that entire database.
gotta start somewhere ya little bitch