What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Urine as a Fertilizer... an OG refugee thread

NuggyBuds

I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm still around, under a new name... any questions or comments please don't hesitate you ask.
:joint:

zolar

god i miss OG just got online right bfore it went any body tried a compost tea bucket out in the yard that they pissed in occasionally i've been doing a compost tea on the food garden for a long time and some times put roasted boiled bones crushed up in it along with ashes from the charcoal grill and eggshells and epsom salts.... smells like a silo but plants seem to really like it

Banjoboy

Unless your using chunk charcoal and not briquets I wood not use ash from the bbq. All the compsting sites say it's a no no for the compost pile so it's might not be a good idea for compst tea.
Urine exellent!
:wave:
BB

zolar

my ashes are a mix of briquets and windfall wood from storms usually fruit maple or oak but by end of summer i'm buying charcoal....

Jon

Is human urine an everyday type of fertilizer? I've used it recently because my flowering girls have leaves turning yellow and the green fading and I didn't want to add any long lasting guano.

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
You most certainly can use it an everyday fert. I used it for quite a while, and it worked great! Just put 1 cup per gallon, and it worked great. Only reason I quit using it was storage and collection is a pain in the rear as compared to more conventional nutes.

Jon

Started this morning. Kinda crude, but I peed right into the watering can, added, dechlorinated water, and watered.

NiteTiger

Veteran
You didn't mention measuring out your ratio. I hope you did, just like any other fert, it'll burn 'em at the wrong strength.

zolar said:
god i miss OG just got online right bfore it went any body tried a compost tea bucket out in the yard that they pissed in occasionally i've been doing a compost tea on the food garden for a long time and some times put roasted boiled bones crushed up in it along with ashes from the charcoal grill and eggshells and epsom salts.... smells like a silo but plants seem to really like it

charcoal that's sold for grills is more of a petroleum product than a "natural" one . . . we'd not use it for anything associated with our garden . . . but your mileage may vary . . .

in the end . . . urine can be an effective fertilizer . . . although our preference would be for folks to pee on their compost pile rather than using any ratio of urine for watering/feeding . . . and because of it's salt content it's certainly not our first choice for getting a nitrogen boost

M

mallyone

Fermentation and organic source of beneficial bacteria.

Fermentation and organic source of beneficial bacteria.

I just read the overview on urine and am quite interested in doing a tandem move to vegetarian organic eating (with 4 organic "meat" tickets per month) and grow using urine.

I was curious though if there was a source of the beneficial bacteria that would be considered organic? (organic as in certified, not as in sourced from animal and or plant sources).

Also, how long would the fermenting process take? Would it be done with a diluted 1:10 solution or with the urine directly?

My plan is to use it on biocanna soiless (peat and coco) initially, but a pee ebb and flow sure sounds like fun too :).

Anyways, great thread, look forward to seeing more pee hydro gardeners :).

m1...

NiteTiger

Veteran
How do you normally use your bennys? Do you add them to your nute mix, or plain water?

Just think of it as just another fertilizer.

Jon

NiteTiger said:
You didn't mention measuring out your ratio. I hope you did, just like any other fert, it'll burn 'em at the wrong strength.

It was easily 1:10 or less. 2 gallon watering can and i think I average about 12 ml of urine per morning.

Don't ask me how I know this. :bashhead:

M

mallyone

NiteTiger said:
How do you normally use your bennys? Do you add them to your nute mix, or plain water?

Just think of it as just another fertilizer.

I've never actually used "bennys", besides I don't think aquarium "bennys" have simple to follow instructions for "maximizing the nitrogen output of your urine". This would be the reason I asked :) I swear I wasn't harboring any secret Benny knowledge that I wasn't sharing :).

m1...

NiteTiger

Veteran
Ah, I misunderstood you. I thought you were normally using beneficials, and were wondering how you'd do it with urine.

I know there are specific beneficials for hydro systems, but I've never used them.

M

mallyone

No probs, seems like most people here are intermediate to advanced growers, where I am but a simple noob :).

I'll probably just go see my friendly neighborhood hydro store and ask in that awkward way where we both talk about plants without going into specifics about what type plant we are talking about :).

Thinking of composting and putting pee in there with the compost, then using the leeched drippings in a 1:10 (or even less) mixture. I'm sure it's going to smell "rich" after that process... *cringe*

Latest posts

Latest posts