What's new

Underground Greenhouse

tomsawyer

I found these plans while searching online about a year ago looking for DIY greenhouse information.

Basically these guys devised a method to build a greenhouse underground that would be able to produce vegetables year round. It was designed to be cheap and simple, and able to be built by a couple of guys with minimal tools, and cost very little. The plan was to show poor people in Bolivia how to build these, and hopefully help them to not starve to death and stuff. Obviously if you have a mini excavator or bobcat, you could get this built a lot quicker.

I have never actually built one myself, but have saved the plans on my computer and plan to build one someday. I recently bought 5 acres in the woods, and me and the wife plan on building a house there eventually. Hopefully I will be able to build one of these greenhouses as well.

I actually eat a lot of vegetables, and this would save me a lot of money. Plus I really like gardening in general, although I have never actually grown any MJ.

Anyways, I thought I would post this here, and possibly some of you guys would be able to use it. I am not sure if it would even be effective for MJ year round, but I am sure that some of you guys with a lot more knowledge than I have would know.

http://bensoninstitute.org/Publication/Manuals/Walipini.pdf

keeper

Seems like an ok idea to me :yes: year round with extra lighting maybe ?
When you do it, come back and post pictures for us :ying:

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
Unless you're doing this as a guerilla grow, you may need a permit from the city. Seems like a lot of work, but I enjoyed reading the instructions. Hay bails can be had for real cheap a few of those reinforced with rebar would hold up some plexiglass.

RoomRaider

might want to look into shipping containers also. easy to bury, as well as cut off the roof, and put in green house glass/plastic or whatever. Can be placed side by side, welded together. Walls are also easy enough to cut, making any footprint you need.

Another thought, if you are in a hot area like me, you can trench next the greenhouse and put in some passive solar cooling. 15"+ diameter metal pipe. One end of pipe going into your green house, the under end 15'+ away underground. Have the pipe come to the surface to draw fresh air. The earth naturally cools the air. (think why a dog digs a hole and lays in it).

You want that on one end of the greenhouse, then on the other end, have a metal chimney type thing on the roof. Allow the sun to heat that sucker up. Hot air rises, drawing cool air from your piping. You can now grow plants that would otherwise die or go to seed.

Lots of other fun stuff to do with containers, car tires and other "trash". Be sure to get some worms and turn green waste, cardboard and other materials into some nice rich vermicompost.

h.h.

Veteran
Lots of shadows. I'm dug in 2' and have to deal with them. No biggy, just less space. As far as codes the IBC allows ag buildings under 500 sq.'without a permit though it probably would only be a problem when selling unless neighbors complained.

stonedu

Cool, I love stuff like this. I'll probably never use it, but it is still good to add to my knowledge and know I could do it if I ever needed to. +rep

D

dorkvan420

I have a plot planned and going in during the winter months that will include a sunk in grow space with a small cold frame style unit on top, and flat white walls dug and set into the space.Dont know how it will work, but once in action I'll be posting.Of course this space wont be producing monsters, just some smaller test ladies to enjoy with close friends.

tomsawyer

I have a plot planned and going in during the winter months that will include a sunk in grow space with a small cold frame style unit on top, and flat white walls dug and set into the space.Dont know how it will work, but once in action I'll be posting.Of course this space wont be producing monsters, just some smaller test ladies to enjoy with close friends.

That sounds pretty cool. What latitude are you at?

trybud

Im going to be strain testing all the way up until may. maybe some of the winners can fill your plot up.....

D

dorkvan420

Well...I dont know....you may have to twist my arm!!LOL!!
We'll talk!!