What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

UK Outdoor Growing 2009

C

cork144

any landraces are good to bring mate, brings some more clean slate strains out,

C

Ch@ppers

disagree 100%, sorry... and we agree most of the time!!

-wam-

That's gonna have to be the case then mate...

Although you may have misunderstood, I don't mean that the environmental factors make an indoor grown plant better than an outdoor grown lant, I'm talking on a genetic level.

A few examples...I've grown Jack Herer both indoors and out (forced outside) and they were identical, I've grown Cheese and Bubblegum both indoors and out and the same thing goes for those...

They are all traditionally "indoor" strains...

The traditionally "outdoor" strains I've grown were good (some better than others) but they were obviously not as good (genetically) as "indoor" strains.

It's just the way it is...there's more room for development when growing indoors.

Your Leb/Cheese cross is a 50/50 hybrid of an "indoor" and an "outdoor" and I'm sure it's lovely...I'm a life-long fan of Lebanese weed (I don't buy into the Cheese hype though)

Hell, if you just check out the strains that have won the various Cannabis Cups over the years, ignoring the outdoor category (obviously) you only see the odd outdoor strain here and there.

I used to think that the quality of weed was a balance of genetics and environment but the more I grow, the more I realise that genetics is responsible for 80% or more of that "balance"

A few years ago I got hold of some feminised White Widow seeds for a friend of mine. He grew them on his windowledge in his kitchen, neglected them, underwatered and underfed them...treated them like shit and they yielded like shit but the quality was unquestionable! I was stunned, up until that moment I figured that because of his obvious neglect, the quality of the weed was gonna be poor...wrong! Genetics prevail.

zeds AAWW---is as good as a lot of indoor weed

That's because it's a mix of AK47 (indoor strain) and Haze (indoor strain)

Again, I'm not talking about strains that we've made or whatever...I'm talking "traditionally"

but i totaly agree that most so called outdoor strains the majority are shit---but theres allways that one pheno that gos against the rest

Correct, and I've tried most of them. As for phenos, that's just something you're lucky to find...seedbanks are too concerned with making money than making something reliable outdoors AND good quality.

how and wear you get the seeds from is as inportant as what strain you choose-----would i be right in saying that---one pack of seed produces quality one crap the same strain the same vendour just 2 diffrent end product grown by the same person the same way-----

I find that seeds from the same vendor are usually identical unless they buy their seeds from an outside source. The talent of the grower I truly believe only affects the end yield/health. BUT if you're talking about KC Brains beans...who the hell knows what you're gonna get if you buy that crap!?

got some millions of 'generic s.a landrace' seeds... should i bring 'em all back?

-wam-

See if you can get hold of any Durban Poison seeds, a mate of mine brought some back a few years ago and the plants grew like shit! If you could get hold of some good ones, you'd really have some valuable genetics!

Now, my first post of 2010 wouldn't be complete without some pictures would it?

Here's a couple of ladies I've been working on, on and off for a few years now...

Up until 2009 I'd just been growing them late in the season for experiments and stuff and hadn't really tested them properly.

They're both identical genetically, I gave some pollen (can't tell you what of) to my buddy who I got the Original (late 1970's) Haze clones from (same clones I developed my auto Haze with) back in 2003/2004 ish. He gave me some seeds and I've inbred here and there and (almost) by accident I've narrowed it down to two distinct phenotypes.

Pheno #1 we call "Lavender Haze" (Original Haze x Secret Male)

picture.php

However, her sister, pheno #2 is my favourite!

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce to you...the Black Haze!

picture.php

Obviously there is no such thing as true black when it comes to plants, even the world famous "black tulip" is just a very very dark purple...well the same goes for the Black Haze.

This picture was taken with lots of light and shows it to be a bit purple, with the naked eye/no flash however, it appears to be completely black!

I've got some dried budshots to upload soon.

I look forward to growing these out for many years to come and hope to be able to continue to show off her lovely deep colour.

Ch@ppers

harold

beautiful! pic of the month... are these hazes auto? grown outdoors? very cool if it is....

i see some excellent innovation with personal breeders, i think i will start making seeds and selecting next year...

HashishinReidi

tps wotamess choppers minme , hope you all had a good new year,Top bud pics choppers,sure looks frosty form here, harold rampent you to hope u had a good 1.Harold when i see your name i just have the old bloke out of step toe shouting in my head lol harold lol.

harold

Cheers HR happy NY to you to.... this is the flap jack i named myself after :)

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 15
  • images harry.jpg
    images harry.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 15
  • imageshh.jpg
    imageshh.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 12

HashishinReidi

Oh ic now now its the one from down under.Wishing everyone a good outdoor grow this 2010.Lets hope the weather is as good as last year if not better .I cant belive i missed this hole thread lol.some great plants grown outdoors lat year thats forsure.

wotamess

...plants that finish reliably outdoors here do not produce a product close to the quality of indoor only strains.

Although you may have misunderstood, I don't mean that the environmental factors make an indoor grown plant better than an outdoor grown lant, I'm talking on a genetic level.

i still don't get it. is crossing sensi star with lebanese cheese and then crossing back to itself and then crossing it to etc. etc. etc. to keep the flowering time in check while breeding in mould resistance, potency, flavour etc. etc. still '...do not produce a product close to the quality of indoor only strains'? will it not create a strain for outdoor, if that's the intention? and if it's a strain for outdoor created using some indoor strains and some outdoor strains as building blocks.....??????

i'm sure you see what i'm getting at. i just find statements with a 'cut and dried', 'no options' feeling highly frustrating... the fact is i had seasoned smokers who poopoo'd my going on about growing uk outdoor, and going on about how much they loved their indoor weed, growing examples of leb cheese and they were so blown away by the smoke, it's all they want now...

edit - i just re-read yr post and got the 'traditionally' bit... still doesn't let you off the hook!! ;)

now semantic debates aside (excuse me, i'm a pedant) these auto hazes are incredibly exciting... i've only had the joy of experiencing them once (zeds belated FoN) and it was the next best smoke i've grown from my own garden after the wreck... didn't produce 10oz though ;)

beautiful plants as always ch@ppers :tup:

the seeds i'm getting are all from decent baggies received from dealers in and around cape town. good 'get you stoned' SA sativa. it always gets sold as 'swazi' and it probably is, but i didn't go get it, so i ain't gonna quote it!

off to boulders beach now :D extended our tickets for another week :D

later y'all

-wam-

C

Ch@ppers

beautiful! pic of the month... are these hazes auto? grown outdoors? very cool if it is...

Grown outdoors, finished in the conservatory (they're long flowering and unsuitable for finishing outside) but not autoflowering...but of course I've already started autoflowering projects with both of them.

Wotamess...

The thing is, when you create an outdoor suitable strain that contains indoor bred genetics, the resulting outdoor strain often reacclimatizes itself within a few generations. What once was an early flowering, heavy/dense budding, potent beauty will suddenly revert back to something resembling a standard low/medium potency outdoor strain.

The only way to ensure this doesn't happen is to continue to grow said hybrid indoors where the desired traits can more easily be manipulated/controlled, which kinda defeats the objective.

Just as we try and manipulate nature by creating a more potent and heavy yielding outdoor strain, left unchecked, nature will prove it's dominance by undoing our work just as quickly.

I've been a fan of outdoor growing since I was...14, that's 15 years now, almost 16...over half my lifetime has been devoted to growing weed and I only started growing indoors a couple of years ago. I only started growing indoors because I craved growing during the off-season and I've never managed to grow anything to maturity outdoors to the quality that I've achieved indoors.

Stuff like Haze, Jack Herer, NYCD etc...the really good stuff, it simply doesn't finish properly outside.

Sure I've grown many of these strains mostly outdoors but they've always had to be finished off under lights or in the conservatory.

Ch@ppers

minime

I find that seeds from the same vendor are usually identical unless they buy their seeds from an outside source.
i should of said it was 6 month diffrence in perchess dates-----the strongest weed i have ever smokt was colunbian red early 90s---thats outdoor but not sure if that counts as its not in uk--but that gear spanerd me and every one eals----unreal it was---i was reading hear about how all strains change over time---like land race strains from south america west indies---they have been growing in the same place for how long but they go through natural change some for better some for worse---its somewear in the breeding forum ----stay safe all

harold

Grown outdoors, finished in the conservatory (they're long flowering and unsuitable for finishing outside) but not autoflowering...but of course I've already started autoflowering projects with both of them.

When did they finish in your conservatory? i might have to make me a guerilla green house :)

Rampant

Hi all, as a general rule of thumb, will 8 week indoor strains finish in our climate? I seem to remember cutting plants down end of oct years ago but would be nice to find something quicker!:dance013:

minime

yes but some may not start flowering untill september so end of oct finishing--u have 10 and 11 week strains that finish to --they start flowering early augest or late july-----most 8 to 9 week strains have a chance ------crap fall bad crop good falll good crop---exceptional fall thats what i pray for every year lol

harold

my superskunks were a complete disaster... i think maybe one of my plots is in a moldy zone though? on the outskirts of a woodland, next to a river, in a humid sump?
what do you plan to grow rampant?

Rampant

Am planning to try some of my own seeds called white force, which is a cross between white widow and g-force. Its ready in 45 days inside in good conditions and has been grown outside in proper sun and done really well so i am told. I thought i may also try and make some feminised pollen from it and cross that with karmatrain, the indica clone. The last time i tried CS on a female i reversed the sex but no pollen fell from the flowers. Does this sound worth pursuing?
I am also growing some super skunk, does not seem particularly skunky although a nice smoke nothing like i remembered. What's your like Harold? :)
Good to see you about hash btw. Best to everyone out there, hope the smokes are with you! :)

MrBlatent

Hello all MrB Signing in, Glad to see everyone had a good season, sadly i did not!

Im sure the NHS is trying to kill me, lol and for various reasons i had to shelve everything. Hopefully im back now and can get an uninterupted season under my belt (last time that happened was on OG i think!)

Just wanted to say hi now i found you all

MrB

Rampant

Greets Mr B, glad to see you back, wishing you all the best for this year! :)

The g-force is an Afghani landrace x unknown so i am told in good authority. I am also growing blue buddha x sour diesel V3 which is ready in 8 weeks and is lovely. Maybe cross that with the KT or white force. The g-force is a 9weeker unless your really lucky so i would not imagine it would grow well outside here. I also have 2 dragons breath seeds left which is an ak47 cross something, some of the tastiest i have grown for years and i forgot to clone it, durr. :)