What's new

UK election 2010, Green party will legalise!!!!

Mr.Bigbud

Anyone voting in this election? I have emailed all the parties I could find, and only the green party said they wanted to legalise cannabis, like the Dutch model. They want to remove it from the misuse of drugs act, and allow people to grow small amounts at home....... gets my vote!!! VOTE GREEN FOR LEGAL GREENS!!!!!!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the libdems have a pretty decent policy i think

Break the links between cannabis use and organised crime and release police
resources for higher priority tasks by:
Retaining the classification of cannabis as a Class C drug, in line with the
recommendations of the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD), which
the Government ignored.
Adopting a policy of not prosecuting possession for own use, social supply to
adults or cultivation of cannabis plants for own use.
Repealing Sections 8 (c) and (d) of the Misuse of Drugs Act so that it is no longer a
crime for the occupier or manager of premises to permit someone to use cannabis
on those premises.
Permitting medical use of cannabis derivatives, subject to appropriate
pharmaceutical controls and the successful conclusion of current clinical trials.
In the longer term, seeking to put the supply of cannabis on a legal, regulated
basis, subject to securing necessary renegotiation of the UN Conventions. The
Global Cannabis Commission report of September 2008, published as part of the
2009 UN drug policy review supports a policy of regulated availability to minimise
the harms associated with cannabis abuse, adding that much of this harm is a
result of prohibition itself.
Reform excessive and counterproductive criminal penalties by:
Ending the use of imprisonment for possession for own use of illegal drugs of any
class.

i dont mind voting libdem, i'd find it hard to vote conservative even if they said they were going to legalise ;)

VG

Blimey

Take A Deep Breath
Veteran
Is that official LibDem policy? I thought Cleggy had spoken out against the evils of cannabis in traditional Daily Mail style.

I was going to vote Green, but if it means not getting prosecuted for home growing, I'd vote yellow.

Also the Greens aren't fielding candidates in all constituencies.....

Mr.Bigbud

Wow, Lib-dem policy looks quite progressive too! I have to say though, class c means its still illegal, and I feel anything less than being removed from the misuse of drugs act like alcohol and tobacco is not enough. As long as pissed idiots are allowed to roam the streets puking, fighting and breaking shit on their way home, we should be allowed to have a smoke. And grow our own....... if we're not already!

herbal202

if there was a green candidate Id vote for them but the isnt so looks like the lib-dems for me then
your spot on bigbud

Blimey

Take A Deep Breath
Veteran
Seeking to initiate a European level review of the drugs problem and the range of
policy responses with a view to securing renegotiation of UN Conventions on Drug
Trafficking.

That whole UN convention has always been a big stumbling block, as Govts can just say "our hands are tied by the UN conventions".

I think I might just go yellow this time....certainly better odds of gaining seats than the Greens.

El Toker

the Green party may have the right idea on cannabis, but they have so many other policies that I could never ever support. Most insidious are the ones that have come up with regarding animal "rights" that are totally at odds with public opinion.

They would basically bring all medical research in the UK to a grinding halt by outlawing any kind of experiments on animals.

They would ensure that only the rich could eat meat by outlawing all but a tiny minority of farms.

They are even more authoritarian in nature than this government they plan to completely micromanage our lives.

Their policies would be economic suicide and result in a drop in the standard of living for all but the most wealthy.

They would see NHS money being spent on alternative medicines and snake oil potions, taking away from real services.

They plan to turn our educational system into eco-warrior brainwashing camps.

What's left of the economy would be completely stuffed up by their transport policies and their policies on sustainability.

If you're poor then don't expect to travel freely, they plan to force people onto public transport, then massively increase the cost of the transport to reduce CO2 emissions. Then the rich would be able to get in their Mercs and not have to face traffic jams full of plebs. Holidays abroad would be exclusively for the rich.

They would shut down all the supermarkets and force us to shop with local businesses. So we'll end up going back to the 70s when food was expensive and choice was very limited. Again it would be poor people who really suffered leaving the rich relatively unaffected.

and the list just goes on and on.

Their views don't really bear close examination. They aren't some warm and fuzzy nice option, they are a very dangerous option who could devastate our lives and lifestyles.

As far as they are concerned overpopulation is a serious problem (that's you and me, we're "the problem") that they would tackle by stripping away human rights and deciding who can and can't have children. At the same time they plan to extend rights of animals to put them on a level with humans.

I believe their hearts are in the right place but they just don't think things through.

I think the lib dems probably offer the best drug policies along with a lot of other good ideas and they are the only ones who didn't get shown up in the expenses scandal for having their noses in the trough.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think I might just go yellow this time....certainly better odds of gaining seats than the Greens.

exactly :), its pretty blue where i live so yellow is the only alternative to make the vote possibly count.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Me too - I'm in a traditional 'safe' Labour seat, that may well go LibDem this time, which would really shake things up. I could only vote LibDem really (if I do vote), as they're the only ones whose policies remotely chime with mine, though they're/I'm still some way off on many too! Of course, you can't vote for policies here, just candidates for representation, so the idea of picking a party for government based on policy is pretty pointless when you only get the name of 'A. Person' to pick.

But purely from a cannabis perspective, I would say the LibDems are the ones to vote for, and were a hung parliament to be really upon us (quite likely), that could then give them the leverage in a possible coalition government to get the whole drugs issue on the table, and sorted out once and for all.

And apart from anything else, just levelling up the playing-field in terms of seats seems to make sense to me anyway - the structures of parliament are fundamentally broken, so a pause for re-alignment may be the best for everyone.

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
lib dems have no chance....a hung parliment is far more likely...

i cant believe what labour have done to the fabric of this country....its sickening.. people before their reign of terror wouldnt believe what they have done either.....the standard of living here is pathetic now...

labour have practically created an army of voters for themselves,,,,, with all the public sector admin jobs and welfare fed immigrants/council estate baby making machines......non of whom would have what they have grown accustom to without labour in power..

iraq is blood on all our hands.....when will we say no to our government, they dont know whats best......... they scheme against us, nothing more...

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
did you think that up yourself ^^ - or did you just copy it out of the Daily Mail ?:D

Open Eyes

As far as cannabis is concerned there is only one party to vote for ( if you seek a sensible policy on cannabis ). I am not going to advocate any party in particular as i think you need to make up your own mind and there is enough outside influence already.

I have issues with all parties that plan to implement changes - on cannabis - and we are essentially having to choose, figuratively speaking, between one of the lesser two weavels.

Whether the Lib Dems get into office or not, is not going to be a factor in helping me decide who to vote for since i am still voting with my heart. The same could be said about the greens if i decide to vote for them.

Labour, and the other party, are so out of touch with the issue of drugs, and a lot of other things, that there will be no way in hell i will vote for them. I won't address the pocket padding MP's, the nepotism, the cronyism and general slimeball behavior that we have witnessed so far. This is my opinion and yours may vary.

For me it's between the greens and lib dems only.

SmokeMe

I think me and my mrs will be voting lib dems entirely based on the cannabis policies,might even be able to convinse my bro,too.That's 3 vote's they would never had.

herbal202

how you ment to live on £5.60 an hour or what is it dole money £65 a week , yet they use billions to bail out the bankers . labours betrayed the working class
give them £7.50 an hour.. get the good folk of the u.k working again ..
always voted labour , couldnt bring myself to ever vote tory , so lib-dems look like the only choice

Mr.Bigbud

Labour have also allowed gas and electricity suppliers hold us to ransom every winter, when really there should just be one of each, supplying us at the lowest possible rate. We really shouldn't have a flush of old people freezing to death every winter because they can't afford to heat their houses.

shafty420

conservative, labour have screwed us into the ground hard working families are struggling the defense budget was slashed so that spongers who have never worked with there 6 kids have it easy while young men who work so hard abroad are getting killed simply through impoper training and crap equipment it makes me sick
to be fair the country could easily get out of the rutt where in in a few easy steps
1: corporal punishment (before everyone jumps in onnly for murders,rapists,peados etc you get the picture)
2: make the benefits system harder or cut it completly in country like italy and spain they have no jsa you either work or leave simple as
3: more powers for police again contraversial but we wouldnt have asbos or parents getting stabbed on there doorsteps if tyhe police carried handguns people would soon learn
4: tougher sentancing on hard drugs and dealers and a more open aproach to percy use and cultivation

El Toker

conservative, labour have screwed us into the ground hard working families are struggling the defense budget was slashed so that spongers who have never worked with there 6 kids have it easy while young men who work so hard abroad are getting killed simply through impoper training and crap equipment it makes me sick
I agree it's disgusting, but the last tory government also cut back on defence expenditure and ploughed most of the defence budget into fighting the soviets in a massive clash of tanks in a buildup to a nuclear exchange. Nobody thought that they'd be "nation building" in the dessert for a decade.

to be fair the country could easily get out of the rutt where in in a few easy steps
1: corporal punishment (before everyone jumps in onnly for murders,rapists,peados etc you get the picture)
I'm intrigued? What manner of corporal punishment did you have in mind? Even a birching seems like an easy option compared to a lifetime in prison. I really don't think that spanking them is the answer. Some of them might even enjoy it and keep coming back for more.

2: make the benefits system harder or cut it completly in country like italy and spain they have no jsa
I don't think a lot of people would agree. There are millions of working families who get a lot of help through the benefits system and wouldn't be able to survive without it. There are millions more who have had to use that safety net at least once in their lives and really appreciated it being there.

you either work or leave simple as
Are you planning to deport people for being unemployed?
Where are you going to send them?
If I lost my job would I be able to stay for a couple of weeks whilst I looked for another one? Honestly I don't see a lot of countries being happy about having job shy British citizens being dumped on them. I'm not sure you've thought this one through.

3: more powers for police again contraversial but we wouldnt have asbos or parents getting stabbed on there doorsteps if tyhe police carried handguns people would soon learn
Again I think that you're in a very small minority with this one. The police have acquired a lot of extra powers over the last few years to "fight terrorism" and have been abusing those powers since. There are dozens of accounts of people being threatened with arrest for just taking photographs on the street. The incidents of dozens of people being rounded up held for weeks and then being released without charge, are quite chilling. I don't think that even the police are arguing that they need more power.

There's certainly no call for the police to have more power to prevent stabbings as they are able to use anything up to and including lethal force to detain somebody with a weapon. How much more power do they need? The problem is that we don't have a police officer stood outside our doors 24 hours a day watching out for knife crime. Or do you think we could do more by installing CCTV outside every house in the country? Although once you've pushed enough people into extreme poverty by scrapping the benefits system you're likely to have a lot of public order problems to deal with and the police might be overstretched. Perhaps you could employ more police by recruiting young patriots, give them a few legal powers, a snappy uniform and hours of brainwashing and weapons training. You could call them the Shafty Youth.

4: tougher sentancing on hard drugs and dealers and a more open aproach to percy use and cultivation
and piss away billions more on prohibition when it is clear that it only makes the situation worse.

The odd thing is that apart from tough talk on prohibition the Tory party have never supported any part of your solution to fix the country. You are so far to the right of the Tory party that you make Thatcher look like a communist. I think you need to look a lot further to the right, straight on past the tories, past UKIP, keep going past the BNP and then keep going for a while longer, look out for the bald men with beards and an interesting range of right wing imagery tattooed into their skin and a fascination with weapons, flags and post apocalyptic survival.

shafty420

the only reason i take such a hard line with certain matters is this country disgusting the prison system is a joke im not afraid to say yeh ive been to prison ya know what its a fucking piss take you get tvs in your cellthe foods pretty decent beds are comfy its like a freakin holiday bring back 4 walls and a bog as for benefits yh there are people who are good people and deserve some help but when you have 2 parents who dont work and have 6 kids thats to far
if you cant feed them dont breed them

the police do need more powers we need to scrap community supprt officers they get paid 20 grand a year starting wage and theyre powerless that money could easily go into the hospitals that need it or better training for the police im no saying police are great yh there are some that abuse there powers but thats like any job ive found with police all over the world if you treat them how you want to be treated theres no problems
and yes ive seen thre world eg
europe
iraq twice
afghanistan
but only when i fly back here am i actually scared for mine or my freinds safety
if labour get in which i doubt where screwed