What's new

Ubuntu Linux ... WOW!!!!

Hey all...

I have been using PC's for about 20 yrs so I am pretty well versed on general aspects. Some of you may may have seen my previous post on having heavy shit with windows vista... So I decided.. hey lets try out this Ubuntu and see what it is like..

Well I can say that I am soooo impressed!! It is lighting fast.. honestly I just cant believe how quick everything is, clean layout, ease of use. Its so impressive. :)

I had to fiddle a bit to work out how to get my 3G going , but it is painless and straight forward.

I just need some help with one aspect so far:

My 3G modem has software which normally monitors how much I upload and download, but it doesnt work in the linux environment.

What can program or method can I use to monitor this?

Thanks for any help people :)

Hey Soulfly22583

I followed that link but u have to fill out all sorts of forms and crap and its only a 30 day trial...

Is there not something free in the spirit of Linux ?? ;)

soulfly22583

Trust me.. I'm A Professional..
Veteran
lol, sorry i didnt notice it wasnt free. Ill keep looking around and see if i can find something for ya

fred b

hey yea ubuntu is nice :)

what you what is a network or traffic monitor, there's tons of such apps for linux. the best woulds would be iptraf or vnstat for console

of course theres a lovely GUI network stats app too but I cannot remember the name of it atm, ill get back to you ;)

greets
fred b

soulfly22583

Trust me.. I'm A Professional..
Veteran
can you give us the name of the software you were using on your windows box? that will speed up the search process

Happy 7

You could use GKrellM.

gkrellm0.png

http://www.econowics.com/linux/241/how-to-install-gkrellm-on-ubuntu-linux/

I think it's in the Ubuntu package repository.

Or

Gnome's default system monitor.

gnome-system-monitor.png

Or ntop
how to install

load_stats.jpg

Or Nagios but that's probably a bit over the top. ;)

soulfly22583: not sure hey , it is all preloaded into the 3G modem

Happy 7 : I am used to windows point and double click sort of shit. I have no idea how to install/load/use this linux stuff. Is there a simple way to get this shit to work??

Mr.Jones

just click on

-> system (top on the left)
-> Managment (or smth.)
-> system monitor

oh yeah and if you want to get new software use synaptic (should be in the management as well) - there is tons of useful stuff there!
-> and you should figure out how to add package sources.

the terminal is the best thing about linux:
"sudo apt-get install"
"sudo apt-get update"
"sudo apt-get remove"

are very nice to know in your case

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Applications are amazing,,, and Linux is the system windows is based on anyway,, it's just that Gates made windows-gash for cash and released it as a brainwashing tool ,, and failed. Windows is a click-clunk piece of shit,, we'd NEVER run it again after working on abuntu which is rapid and smooth,, even when run on ancient hardware it's the business.

Is there a simple way to get this shit to work??

Applications >> Abuntu Software Centre

You will find 100s of applications in there... just type in what is needed and it will find it :biggrin:

peace

Motta-Tokka

I have used lots of various linux platforms and some are much better than others. I stayed with windows xp on all my systems though since I really only run windows software and games. If I wasnt so in love with windows software I would have stayed with linux years ago. I have been using computers since windows 3.1

T

Tonka

just click on

-> system (top on the left)
-> Managment (or smth.)
-> system monitor

oh yeah and if you want to get new software use synaptic (should be in the management as well) - there is tons of useful stuff there!
-> and you should figure out how to add package sources.

the terminal is the best thing about linux:
"sudo apt-get install"
"sudo apt-get update"
"sudo apt-get remove"

are very nice to know in your case

Yup... Synaptic package manager is your best bet to find free applications to download. Learn how to search the Ubuntu repositories because almost every application will be there. Also, check sourceforge.

R

rick shaw

nI need some advice. My computer gave me the blue screen of death. The computer was used so I don't have the recovery disc. It has Windows 2000 so it is time to upgrade. My question is can I install a new O/S without resolving the "Inaccessible_Boot_Drive"?

dbuzz

Veteran
screenlets have a net monitor. desklets and google gadgets might too, but i'm not sure. there's plenty of conky/scripts that do it, but that takes a bit of tweaking. you might not feel comfortable doing that just yet. check out screenlets, and check out gnome-look.org. you can download all kinds of cool stuff for your desktop.

and ubuntu rocks. i was so surprised testing it over a year ago, i made a full transition from windows to linux. software center is top notch. everything is there, and if it's not, you can get it. -anything is possible on linux-

http://gnome-look.org/
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the best thing about abuntu is that is refuses to allow many corrupt files into your PC :yes: whereas windows welcomes then in with open folders.. lol

R03

I got fed up with Windows years ago. Just to shut the thing down took minutes, drivers, updates, conflict, crashes.

I went to Ubuntu, which is very nice, I would never go back.

But, for more security I am now using Backtrack 4 R1, it is based on Ubuntu, and is ultra secure. It is actually designed for security auditing in that it has a lot of tools. The bonus is that it is ultra secure though.

You can download a live version, try booting off cd, and give it a shot.

Eventually you might want more than Ubuntu, this would be it.

G

Guest 10952

I've had it for about 5 months now. Don't need alot to run it. The Terminal is awesome once you learn the commands(seems like I'm re-learning them weekly) you can always check to make sure you are doing what you want to do with the GUI.

ThaiPhoon

Nice, I have been using ubuntu for years. I use linux mint now. The MintMenu is awesome.

netspeed-applet is available to show realtime network traffic in the "systemtray" part of the gnome panel. I believe its in the repos. Then just add it to the panel (right-click->add)

If you need windows, you can always load virtualbox and create a virtual windows installation. I do for using photoshop.
For games you can look into installing "wine"
peace