What's new

Typical 3-bed semi,UK?

hazyfontazy

Veteran
noone was asking nor thinking of that

clearly thats incredible obvious, just like not ringing your local police station and asking where is your nearest hydro shop

i was pointing out that there are plenty of houses with 3 phase, for a hundred reasons, obviously this was installed when the house was built, ringing and asking for it would be moronic if you are growing, thats really obvious to everyone, but thanks for the incredibly obvious advise

wow !

just wow !!!

ps - just like how the number of go fast stripes on a boy racer car do nothing to increase the actual car in question..................... your overuse of internet smilies does nothing to increase the content of your posts in question

look do some proper research before slagging me off ,try wikipedia ,you are wrong ,,there aren't plenty of houses with 3 phase it just doesn't work like that..they may install 3 phase in high rise flats thats about it ..

can u give me one reason why a domestic property would need 440 volts ?

sal opette

ICMag Donor
I have some experience but little electrical knowledge....

Yes I have three phase at my house, separate meter in the garage for big woodworking machines. Before I got 3 phase laid on I was using a 1-3 phase converter and browning out all the houses on my side of the street! Luckily the 3 phase supply crosses my garden and the transformer is 10ft away in the neighbors garden, we had to dig the trench they put in the meter and connected it all up. It was 20 years ago so I don't remember how much it was exactly under £1000 I think.

lots of the grid is 3 phase you can see the three separate conductors on big tall poles usually, these are stepped down by transformers which supply a load of houses with single phase. Probably a few reasons for this.....Mmmm technical stuff :D

I know another guy who`s got three phase at his house for his proper welders, in the country or the town there are people who need the juice and the electric companies are all to happy to hook you up..... at a price.

Oh yeah don't some of the best new 600 and 1000 watt lights run at 415 volts internally? for better efficiency and to allow standard single phase guys to use the latest industrial lighting technology

hazyfontazy

Veteran
there is a difference between 3 phases and a 3 phase supply ,,,everything runs of three phases but a 3 phase supply will give you 400/440 v .which will never be required in a domestic environment .

hazyfontazy

Veteran
lots of the grid is 3 phase you can see the three separate conductors on big tall poles usually, these are stepped down by transformers which supply a load of houses with single phase. Probably a few reasons for this.....Mmmm technical stuff :D

totally correct :tiphat:

and not 1 of those properties are supplied with a 3 phase supply which would give 400/440 v supply

,my point from the start b4 all the know it alls engaged in the convo. is u would not require a 3 phase 400/440 volt supply in a domestic dwelling ..ever

sal opette

ICMag Donor
wow your a bit up tight :comfort: have a smoke or something FFS

I didn't say I was right with all the technical stuff, still think most of the power is 3 phase until the transformer at the end of your street.

I do have 3 phase at my house, oh yeah and my mate does to

sal opette

ICMag Donor
can u give me one reason why a domestic property would need 440 volts ?

1 Hobby wood working (OK pretty serious hobby)
2 Welding for classic Car maintenance

There you go two real world reasons for two real world people to have 3 phase at their house

sal opette

ICMag Donor
Where were we.........

Got asked to help out with something,just doing a little research first,whats the highest number of watts anyone has heard of being used for a grow in your typical 3-bed semi in the UK?Just the upstairs used to grow,downstairs would look totally normal,just curious..............:chin:

got derailed somehow

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
It's only a matter of time before smart meters come in and there are some pretty serious privacy concerns with them. Over here everyone and their granny are stealing electricity from the keypad meters without bypassing the meter or breaking any seals. They simply put a neodymium magnet on the side of the meter and it slows the kw/hr down to around 0.05kw/ph. Everyone I talk to knows about it so I can only imagine that the electricity company will be doing a mass changing of meters in the very near future.

T

Terps

I thought you have to have both electric and gas with the same company to have a smart meter?