What's new

Two Stage Venting..

mowood3479

Veteran
yup... i agree with m'n'g... one fan/one filter..filter>fan>lights>exhaust w/ a good sized passive intake or two and ur golden. you'll just have to monitor temps and mayb set the fan on a timer if its getting too cold.. if not just run it all the time when lights on..
and if after ur harvest u want to upgrade and run co2.. there is a bunch of stuff to buy: a co2 burner, co2 controller and temp/humidity controller.... i have all that stuff but it really isnt neccasary to grow a good crop...
if money is an issue just get what u need to start pulling crops and upgrade from there..
my two cents anyway
mo

Thanks unknown, i know a place that sells louvres but not exactly fully light proof, ill have to take a better look around. My ambient temps from what i think will rise between 60-90 degrees F, although its getting into the autumn now. On the inline fan it looks like i will have to go for the one that pushes out 360cfm at 0 static pressure? From what ive researched its the highest pushing 6" inline fan that i can source in a couple of days from local suppliers.

Jimmy row, yes i thought about the speed controller man, i phoned the place today & its going to set me back about $ 90 but it looks like it has somewhere from 6-8 different speeds, worth it ?

M`n`g man i read that keeping your cab from rising more than 5 degrees is decent ? If thats the case then 384 CFM is the choice but ill up that to about 450 CFM or so to compensate for the losses. Is the chart designed for a single stage setup though ?
Sorry about the hassle man i just want to fully understand how it all works.

Thanks for that too Mo, i agree with you that co2 should be something i should do once i upgrade my setup after my 1st couple runs, like i mentioned above i hope this fan and speed controller work well together and they dont just have 8 settings for like 3 settings u know. Hopefully with this type of setup in the winter when its very cold i could lower the speeds down to 1 or 2 just to pull out some air every 10 minutes or so & in the summer about every 3 minutes.

One other question, what about using a Y shape connector for the single fan setup ?

Thank you again all of you ! Much respect !
:whee:

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
250-450 CFM will work, from one extreme to another, about a 4-8F differential between ambient and cab temps, with about 350CFM somewhere in the middle.

Space heater during low temps and a window A/C during high temps, in the room you have your cab setup.

Relax man! You're making waaaaaaaaaaaaay to much of this! I fully understand reluctance to plunk down a big chunk of money for something you're unsure about, but nobody here is trying to screw you over.

Guys seeing as im going to be using filters,

Instead of using a filter for the light would you guys not rather suggest using filters for the cab ? or is that what you meant ?

So filters on the passives, air extracting from top of cabinet blowing into the hood & then adding a small duct booster at the end of the exhaust to ensure the air is flowing.

Hopefully a duct booster at the end is as simple as it sounds it will just help the airflow reach the other side.

intotheunknown

Veteran
no filters on the passives... would be super difficult to do. and wouldnt work to remove the stink.
lets say for example the hoods opening, inlet if you will is totally open... thats where youd want your filter. similar to a car's engine. filter is right in front, so any dirt or debris (stink in this case) is caught first as its pulling air in.

but seeing that you have slightly limited space, it may be better to put your filter at the end (exhaust side) it is ideal to have it in the front, but sometimes with limited space you gotta do what ya gotta do. just ensure your ducting is fully sealed. any air leaks will cause stink if its already ran past the filter. also insulated ducting will be your friend in this case.

in a pull direction youd want to go... >>>>passive intake>cab> filter>hood>blower>exhaust>>>>>
negative pressure here is ideal.
but if space is limited and filter needs to go outside the cab... >>>passive intake>cab>hood>blower>exhaust>filter>>>>>
also a good idea here is to keep the blower outside of your cab.

but like M'N'G said, no need to make too much of it. planning extensively is a good thing, can also be a bad thing. because when it comes down to it, even with the extensive planning, its still going to take trial and error and tweeking here and there to get it all just right. dont stress dude. take it one step at a time, tweek this, tweek that and youll get er.

Unknown thanx man, im thinking that if im going to put a filter on the main intake of my room by the window i shouldnt have any problems with bugs & pollen etc. therefore i can just keep my passives light trapped.

I understand what you mean by using the front inlet as a car filter, is this also beneficial for the protection of the hood and light from getting dust ? obviously for stink its the most important.

Space shouldnt be a big problem, i cud always add a bend for the carbon so it sits parralel to the hood.

I think i would go passive intake>cab>filter>hood>blower

or passive intake>cab>filter>blower>duct>hood>duct>exhaust & maybe at the end add a booster fan ?

I appreciate all the help here seriously, i just cant help to go a lil craze on this stuff man, if it wasnt for the situation i would probably take it more easy its just, sourcing the place to grow, getting the equip its just a bitch & if i buy the wrong fan then lol... Im kinda screwed.

Im also trying to compare the inline fans we have here, the price difference for the two are 100 $ & 155 $ so the cheaper one is A and the more expensive is B. Both are 6" inlines
A: 275cfm at 0 Pa , 0 Cfm at 350 Pa
B: 360cfm at 0 Pa , 0 cfm at 300 Pa

So you can see the differences in static pressure. These are pretty much what alot of companies stock here, not much variety of inline fans although i have found a few other local websites which have different types but still need to source the specifications.

Now from what im thinking if i am going with a filter or im not , will 270cfm be enuf through the filter and hood ? I dont think so and i think you would agree ? it would probably be enough if i didnt use a filter though ? The thing is for future grows like i mentioned, i could use the 270cfm fan on lowest speed just for the hood and get another inline for the filter, thing is here comes the other question, im doing this for the reason of co2, will it make that big big difference or could i be getting those differences using other methods?

If the 360 cfm (B) fan will be enough with the filter i might aswell go for it although lol the speed controller costs 100 $.

Maybe if i find another 6" inline with more cfm about 400 would it be better ? Although it might cost 200$.

I apologise for all the questions but really appreciate the help, as you guys can see im quite limited here & im trying my best to get the best grow i can with the least of screwing up.

At the end of the day all that i have learnt i will pass on to fellow growers and help as many people learn the steps of growing such a beautiful plant, we all have our right !

Much respect ! :)

intotheunknown

Veteran
ah ok i see, a hepa filter or something similar. yeah that would work and be beneficial. but remember will also reduce the amount of air coming in.

honestly, i would go with the 400 cfm with a speed controller. should be ideal for what youve got. maybe even slightly bigger....

now i dont recall you stating what wattage lamp youll be using in this space...? this is another factor to weigh in.

well, co2 is a whole other story. if youre wanting to use co2 your room will need to be totally sealed, and you will not be constantly venting. temps will need to be higher as well. thats a whole different ball game.

speed controller for 100$??
go to harbor freight and get yourself a router speed controller... 20.00$ same thing as the controller named "the speedster"

some fans supposedly do not work on these. i have 3 different types of blowers and use these controllers and have for years without issue.

Yeah no doubt, filters shoot the pressure up high man, although im going to need one on my main room intake.

Found a few more fans to look at, will make phone calls later today to find out prices etc. if the one i looked at is the same as the one the local source has, then its 411cfm although its about 58 db maybe over, so its going to be a jet..

Im going to be using a 600w lamp with this grow man.

Will see what the other local sources have in stock regarding speed controllers, i converted my currency to dollar although, no harbour freight here man :/

Will update on the fans later today, thank you again, much respect for the help dude!

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
ah ok i see, a hepa filter or something similar. yeah that would work and be beneficial. but remember will also reduce the amount of air coming in.

One of these days I'll have to have one made up out of aluminum.

I use a cardboard box and furnace filters. Couple cheapie filters and then a good 20-25$ high-micron (hepa?) filter. Change the cheapies out every month and it'll make your expensive filter last longer.

25x25 filter surface cuts down on the air-flow restriction for a 6". :)

Can't stand dust on my meds. LOL

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

Thanx for the advice again dude, well from what ive found out i can only get 3 different types of fans here.

I will make a post for advice to see what people think.

Hydro-soil how are those furnace filters dude ? i took a quick look and the material looks similar to a cars filter?

peace :)

intotheunknown

Veteran
yeah man, thats pretty slick Hydro-Soil. but the best words out of that was "cant stand dust on your meds" I cant either or all the god damned cat hair floating around here, maybe i should do something about it too, lol. Ima look into building me a couple of those for my lung room's intakes.

let us know what you find purplesmoke we will help you out best we can.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I would imagine car filters being a stronger material?

They do make Hepa filters for 4", 6" and 8" ducting that aren't that expensive. Washable too. They look like big, flat-cone, car filters.

I've just been using furnace filters for a looooong time. :)

If you can wipe a surface down in your location (outside the grow room)... and it has a thin film of dust on it in a few days, you're going to want to filter the air. Your room will have waaaaaaay more air exchange, throwing a lot of dust at your nice sticky trichomes. Huge difference in flavor, depending on what's in your local air. :)

10,000 feet up in the rocky mountains... clean air, right? Hahahahahahahaha! Ok, so it's mostly clean of man-made contaminates... but there's still beaver fur, pollen, plant fibers (LOTS of those...) and other 'natural' dusts that are in the air around here.
Doesn't bother me to breathe it. *shrug* Just tastes nasty smoking it. LOL

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

Thank you intotheunknown, i will be doing my research on those filters, makes alot of sense that throwing dust onto those sticky buds aint a good idea! i have already made up my mind with the inline fan so atleast that is out the way & i will let you know how it goes.

Sweet Hydro-Soil i thought so man ! i will be looking into the filters now, i might try my pc fan filters to monitor how much dust im dealing with. Thank you for your help !

Sorry i been out of touch with the forum for a bit, had to visit my granmother in hospital.

Peace !

Latest posts

Latest posts