What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

twitter just permanently banned donald trump

h.h.

Veteran
I don't think you'll find many people who AREN'T against the democratic party in one way or another, they aren't a cult of personality like Trumpism.

Democracy vs representative government.
We choose vs they choose.

The Democratic Party has many conflicting leaders. The Republican Party has only one.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
You make excellent points. May I add a few?

We talk about the unregulated power of these companies like it’s a bad thing, and I’ll agree for the moment. I think it has distracted us from the unregulated power ALL companies have compared to individuals - even in an era when there’s been so much dust in the air about over-regulation, and even regulation of any kind.

“Tech giants” *do* have power, but it’s because we’ve been drunk on DEregulation for 40 years...and at the same time, we’ve grown more and more suspicious of “government” and more fond of “private enterprise”...*the same* private enterprise WE DON’T REGULATE. The Tech sector isn’t unique: finance, insurance, real estate are huge, highly predatory, and shockingly unregulated in terms of what they’re allowed to get away with. We haven’t gotten to the drug industry, or big agriculture, or the military-industrial complex yet.

So many have forgotten that the entire purpose of our government is to protect us citizens from predatory private interests - from robber barons and from real barons - every bit as much as from a tyrannical government. The founders were deeply suspicious of the power of accumulated wealth, and of the power of incorporated interests; they held corporations on a short, tight leash until Rhode Island (?) took the reins off and allowed RI-incorporated entities to do whatever they wanted with their money and their business. It’s been a long slide downhill since.

This is not to brush aside any of what we already have on the table, but if we’re going to make a serious effort at regulating “the net” or social media or whatever, then we really need to look at all the ways in which private business harm citizens and harm the economy and harm communities, because each of those is in effect, a tax, an inevitability, one we have NO control over at all, not even a vote....

Corporate stooges aplenty, yes, but NOT “just like” the GOP. No one was ‘supposed’ to run it for us, or to our liking: our system requires hands-on control, and too many of us spend too much of life with our hands OFF while we bitch about the ride and the driver and the traffic and the route. Of course we get off course. We keep expecting someone else to keep an eye out. It keeps not working. It’ll work even less well with all these newly ex-Republican ‘democrats’ demanding the party steer to the right because ‘unity’ suddenly seems comfortable.

I see no reason to appease the unreasonable, and I don’t need another round of object lessons in how government-by-marketing and remote-control civic responsibility do not work; I’d rather keep the motherfuckers from getting out of line in the first place (it’s fucking hell when you need to go catch them), so occupying the democrats makes sense

that bears repeating. really thoughtful and very true. i would just say there is a bit more danger from social media then from a Target or wallmart, but the principle is very true, even those companies hurt the public good, let alone big oil, pharma and weapons conglomerates. but social media influences the mind so i think its a bigger danger even.

h.h.

Veteran
The road from keeping them in line and keeping us in line is very short. There’s a lot of distance between a short tight leash and running reins free.
We’re moving away from free speech into the realm of forced speech. Telling big or small tech who they have to publish is not our place nor does it protect us. It’s an unnecessary and dangerous precedent.
As it is, there’s been a shift away from the major social media’s. The people are the ones who choose.
It’s not like information is being withheld. There’s way too many sources.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
They’re only tasting you. Watching, waiting.

you've mixed my dogs up with the cat we have. it is conspiring against me, i just know it...cats are treacherous. i rescued it & it is still pissed off. guess it was suicidal...;)

Cuddles

you've mixed my dogs up with the cat we have. it is conspiring against me, i just know it...cats are treacherous. i rescued it & it is still pissed off. guess it was suicidal...;)
lol, I´ve never liked cats. I ´ve always found them mean, aggressive and wierd. You´re nice to them and next thing you know they´re sinking their claws into your flesh. Bastards

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
lol, I´ve never liked cats. I ´ve always found them mean, aggressive and wierd. You´re nice to them and next thing you know they´re sinking their claws into your flesh. Bastards

humans do that way more then animals :D

when animals hurt you its either for their survival or by accident.

humans on the other hand, will hurt you just because they can, or because you believe in a different god, political party or some such tribalistic bs.

h.h.

Veteran
Something wrong with my dog.

picture.php
[/IMG]

h.h.

Veteran
The electric/telephone companies have exclusive transmission line routes. They are a local monopoly.

Cell phone service is granted limited air wave rights.

The internet is virtually unlimited.

Cuddles

humans do that way more then animals :D

when animals hurt you its either for their survival or by accident.

humans on the other hand, will hurt you just because they can, or because you believe in a different god, political party or some such tribalistic bs.
that´s true but I still can´t stand cats. My dog was never shitty to me. Plus I like to cuddle and dogs are much better at this than cats ;)
I have encounteres mean dogs too but on the whole I prefer them.

Those humans you mention - I guess those are the assholes on social media etc I talked about earlier.

White Beard

Jimmy Dore brings up some very good point here regarding all this and the slippery slope it represents. think about the electric company doing this kind of thing, or the phone company.

News Stream Shut Down! Reporter SILENCED Covering Right Wing Rally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZuLEvfLNyU

[YOUTUBEIF]dZuLEvfLNyU[/YOUTUBEIF]

He’s become significantly less coherent over time...kind of a shame...sounds like he’s working on his curmudgeon merit badge.

Can’t help but notice he’s bitching about a PRIVATE firm acting like it’s private...and *not* like its public...more and more unhinged/alarmist as he goes.... Too bad.

Latest posts

Latest posts