What's new

Tweed WILL be Irradiating their meds

med-man

The TRUMP of SKUNK: making skunk loud again!
Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i think its common knowledge now that the director of production at tweed hasnt even grown pot before (i have seen it on here and news clippings)

on another note. quality control is the hardest job on this scale.

at the end of the day its like robbing peter to pay paul. you may pass the tests, but at what cost? i know there is a major concern about irradiating food products, so for flammable inhalants who knows?

at the moment this is my only real concern at ammcan. what anyone is doing or has done at this scale is not easy

med-man

Pangea

Veteran
Does Ammacan have a QAP on board? Do they have the experience to handle ensuring a powder free environment? What's the concern? You dont have to use all 7.5 acres off the get go. With the money involved it is pretty easy, start clean and keep it clean to the end. Ill quote another LP from another site:

I know it sounds very difficult to achieve but it is rather simple. Dandelions can only start from other dandeloins. If there is no powdery mildew to start then it will not be there till it makes it`s way in there.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Not that I'll be smoking any of their stuff, but people are more than weird about anything that's been irradiated. It's easily & often confused with radioactive contamination, to which it bears no resemblance.

It's also been used on various foods worldwide for decades. For it, against it or don't care, people need to consider what facts they can find before forming an opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_irradiation

PM is a tricky pest to manage, similar to herpies, (so I've heard). Just when you think it's gone , it pops out of nowhere. PM is everywhere, always, it just needs the right conditions to thrive. I have even been told that it can be systemic, and some strains are more susceptible than others. You give pm an inch and it takes a mile. Even if you can't see, it it's there, just laying in wait. If you have ever bought cannabis, being black, grey market, you have probably smoked it. I can guarantee you will never smoke it from an LP.

So pick your poison, smoke black, grey market PM, or legal no PM from an LP.

PM washes off, to the naked eye it looks gone, but under microscope and fungi culturing, it will be present.

It will be a huge challenge, but growing PM free is doable, you just have to take precautions, and be on your toes.

GG

med-man

The TRUMP of SKUNK: making skunk loud again!
Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Does Ammacan have a QAP on board? Do they have the experience to handle ensuring a powder free environment? What's the concern? You dont have to use all 7.5 acres off the get go. With the money involved it is pretty easy, start clean and keep it clean to the end. Ill quote another LP from another site:

hey pangea

thats great for a dandilion grower, if there is such a thing? they grow themselves. a plant with a 2 week lifespan lol, outdoors.

has this guy grown hindu kush at sea level in a humid environment?

truth is pm is everywhere, and needs the right amount of stress to be called into action. believe it or not plants give off happy healthy vibes and alerts pathogens to come eat em if immunity get s lowered by bad stress. or better yet, the pathogens are just waiting for the right signals either way

personally i have never had major pm issues, its typically the easiest to deal with. i do notice thrippers, mites and root aphids to be a real burn in the grow space though.

as for irridiation, i dont know if wikipedia is the most factual of refernces. let me try to find some other ref material

med-man

vapor

Veteran
hit the high brix and pm and bugs are almost none existent, hit the timing so you are revving down with the plants natural wayz/.....

Jhhnn

Veteran
"Gamma irradiation is a controversial decontamination technique that has never been studied for safety in smoked or inhaled products anywhere in the world" CSA(Canadian Standards Association) wrote in its letter. Not ingested. I'd rather not risk it due to their method of correcting their mistakes.

Source: http://www.cannabisculture.com/cont...Plant-Systems-Medical-Marijuana-Monopoly-Back

Meh. It could probably be studied until Hell froze over to find out that it's the same effect as with food. It's just very slightly pre-cooked.

I'm a lot more concerned about what chemicals unscrupulous growers use, tbh.

Agracan

Ill quote another LP from another site:
Don't trust anyone who tells fairy tale generalities like that LP (or wannabe LP if that's the case). Unless you're running a lab operation that can handle open study of Anthrax (Have a look at a great video of one http://www.bu.edu/today/2013/video-offers-glimpse-of-biosafety-level-4-lab/) then your going to have a fair chance of something contaminating your product.

As was stated earlier by another poster there is no need to have a completely sterile environment to provide safe product, and this is the case with MMPR products. Most mmj that will come from LPs should be perfectly ok, (and will most certainly be cleaner than anything found on the gray or black market) whether it have been zapped or not it needs to meet similar standards. I say similar because of the gamut of pharmacopoeias allowed as reference.

But again if you see someone who brings it to a level of clean in clean out given the current requirements for QA as per MMPR, they are talking out of their ass, or doing some sort of pr push or marketing spiel about how great their place is as opposed to the others.

Pangea

Veteran
The main pharmacopoeias all have the same standards for herbal products for oral use, they coordinate and do so purposefully.

Clean in clean out is a simplification sure, but the point is general sterile technique is key to producing a product under sanitary conditions and is something very acheiveable for cannabis under the MMPR.

The current requirements of QA as per the MMPR?
The requirements are vague and at the discretion of HC, they've proven they are inconsistant and inept in this matter. Let alont the blatant violations of the GPP regs from PNP and Tweed that are video documented, if these LPs are operating to standard and have QAP's who are responsible and approved by HC then the line is arbitrary and a farce. The playing field is not even.

Agracan

The current requirements of QA as per the MMPR?
The requirements are vague and at the discretion of HC, they've proven they are inconsistant and inept in this matter. Let alont the blatant violations of the GPP regs from PNP and Tweed that are video documented, if these LPs are operating to standard and have QAP's who are responsible and approved by HC then the line is arbitrary and a farce. The playing field is not even.
Exactly, so if there is anyone telling you they are sooooo much better then the others based on the vagueness of the rules, then they are blowing smoke up the guys ass.

blastfrompast

Veteran
What did they expect would happen...honestly...you bring in 70 cuts from god knows where.....and boom you got "something"...and when they brought them in...how many did they take...hundreds of each strain most likely.....gotta get up production wise right....

The only time I have ever had any issues is bringing in clones, or when I went on vacation and my gardener brought some crawlies with him as his grow was infested...each time it was a PITA....

Never had PM, and since I have stopped bringing in new cuts I plan on hopefully avoiding it.

hey pangea

thats great for a dandilion grower, if there is such a thing? they grow themselves. a plant with a 2 week lifespan lol, outdoors.

has this guy grown hindu kush at sea level in a humid environment?

truth is pm is everywhere, and needs the right amount of stress to be called into action. believe it or not plants give off happy healthy vibes and alerts pathogens to come eat em if immunity get s lowered by bad stress. or better yet, the pathogens are just waiting for the right signals either way

personally i have never had major pm issues, its typically the easiest to deal with. i do notice thrippers, mites and root aphids to be a real burn in the grow space though.

as for irridiation, i dont know if wikipedia is the most factual of refernces. let me try to find some other ref material

med-man
Dandelion farmer here,
Congrats on the position with AMMCAN.
What does it mean pre-approved?
This is the news on AMMCans site?
Does that mean AMMCan is operational with plants and all?
Thanks and see you at the show.

AMMCan Pre-Approved By Health Canada - 23 Jan 2014

We at AMMCan are pleased to announce that we have joined the exclusive ranks of pre-approved Licensed Producers

Jhhnn

Veteran
Fungal spores can survive in space, so it would have to be a hell of an irradiation, like a nuclear bomb.

Not at all. Stopping spores from becoming fungus is entirely different than destroying them. Irradiation damages their DNA, like cooking, preventing effective emergence from their dormant state.

The tech is proven to work. Which is not to say that I'm an advocate, at all, but rather that opinion needs to be based on fact.

Not at all. Stopping spores from becoming fungus is entirely different than destroying them. Irradiation damages their DNA, like cooking, preventing effective emergence from their dormant state.

The tech is proven to work. Which is not to say that I'm an advocate, at all, but rather that opinion needs to be based on fact.
What about the fact that Irradiation creates chemical compounds that are not found in Nature? There has been no study on the effects of smoking irradiated cannabis. Therefore it cannot be deemed safe.

MIway

Veteran
spores are ubiquitous in the air... we even have spores that rise in the air, get caught up in thermals, travel w the jet stream, and land viable on the other side of the world. all the air around all of us, everywhere, has spores in it. every sample of mj has spores on it... every sample of mj will germinate something if you try a culture test... its a matter of how much will grow. here's another fact... cultures grown off samplea that were bare hand trimmed will grow surprisingly more robust bacterial cultures vs samples only handled w gloves.

does any of that mean it is dangerous? its a matter of acceptable levels... i'd guess. seems you guys have a zero tol set, in a world where that is nearly impossible. we breath spores each & every time we use our lungs. crazy idea to irradiate everything... esp w considering the secondary compounds that might be created, not knowing what they might do to us.

but iv been in very large grows... and they usually grow a lot of mold... and still use toxic chems. everything is wrong w large centralized commercial grows... just everything is wrong w it.

soil margin

Veteran

NASA says otherwise. Perfectly viable spores are still recoverable after six months unprotected in open space. Much higher levels of radiation than anything we use to irradiate plant material.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11539977