What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial on Crimping Tops for a bushier plant instead of cutting them

pipi taco

picture.php

thats one plant day 15 with no crimping after turning 12/12

Mist

great tut sorry mist bout adding photos and stuff on your post

No problem at all adding pics. Good to see other peoples results with this technique and yours look great. Mine are just a few days into 12/12 now and I have also stopped crimping any of the tops. I will post some pics in a few more days that show just about the same thing you have. Lots of branches at the top of the plant getting full light and producing lots more buds!

pipi taco

cheers bud ,good to hear things still goin well keep us posted with pics and any thing else you think of to improve ,just tossing up with the idea of doing a scrog in the next lap just to c which ones yeilds more .looks like heaps more work ,but i seam to create the time if something i really like doing

Mist

Here are a couple shots of my girls after 1 week on 12/12. You can really see how much more "top" there is on all the plants. Glad I got some trellis netting today too. I am going to do the two layer method of it that I saw someone else on the boards doing. Probably going to be a pain in the ass to harvest but it is better than having limbs falling over.

pipi taco

Here are a couple shots of my girls after 1 week on 12/12. You can really see how much more "top" there is on all the plants. Glad I got some trellis netting today too. I am going to do the two layer method of it that I saw someone else on the boards doing. Probably going to be a pain in the ass to harvest but it is better than having limbs falling over.

damn thats lookin loaded very nice . whats this two layer method

Mist

I will have to find who's thread it was that told me they used 2 layers of trellies netting. They said that they put one layer on at about this point and then another a few weeks later when the stretch was over to support the upper portion of the plants. I have never used netting before. I always had a framework around the garden that I would string tie wire across about 1ft. apart and then tie the limbs off to that with green gardners tape. But that is a tedious and time consuming process and I thought I would try something else that was made to support the plants.
Should be interesting, and if it works good it will save me some headaches since this grow is going to be very difficult to move around in. Things are just too damn tight. Maybe I need a bigger tent, LOL!

pipi taco

I will have to find who's thread it was that told me they used 2 layers of trellies netting. They said that they put one layer on at about this point and then another a few weeks later when the stretch was over to support the upper portion of the plants. I have never used netting before. I always had a framework around the garden that I would string tie wire across about 1ft. apart and then tie the limbs off to that with green gardners tape. But that is a tedious and time consuming process and I thought I would try something else that was made to support the plants.
Should be interesting, and if it works good it will save me some headaches since this grow is going to be very difficult to move around in. Things are just too damn tight. Maybe I need a bigger tent, LOL!
oh ok let me no how you get on with that one ,i just do the Ole four stakes in the pot on an angle around the plant and one lap of tie wire and let them just fall on it if they want .that mesh would help put them to utilise the light

Mist

Just a couple shots of how things are progressing. You can see how much inner growth there is in the first couple shots and also how much growth got to the top of the canopy.

Then an overall shot showing how crazy it is looking in here>

Lots and lots of top growth! Can't wait to see how this strain performs like this.

furley

Mist after reading this and the way you explained it, doubled with the amazing pictures, I will definitely be crimping my closet E/F grow now! I have some blue dream running that is supposed to be a stretcher, so I hope I can just keep crimping her until the blueberries are the same height. Thanks again for your pictures!

very nice mist. i have done this crushing of the stem at the base and when that heals the whole plant shoots up that thicker stem sends more food im guessing. im anxious to try ur technique on my plants, i kno it works.

Mist

They are really filling in now. You can see that there are way more than just a couple tops from each plant like you get from topping in the traditional way of cutting off the main stem top. And the cool thing is that you still get the big main stem cola. I can see already that this grow is going to yield a lot more than I had originally predicted. There are an average of 6 "tops" per plant with some having 8-9 limbs up even with the main stem top. In a couple weeks this 20 square foot area is going to be plumb full!~

Mist

They are getting a bit more bud on them now which shows how many heads there are better. Every day they have made a large jump this past week.

Standaman

Liking your journal Mist! Did a similar method but i pinched the tops i have done this also for my second grow but this time i have pinched them a lot.

After seeing your method i will be following it for my third grow to the letter just crimping all the way, one question that i may have missed is do you remove any leaves under the canopy? Or any lower branches even?

Thanks

Mist

I do NOT remove any leaves. I know some people like to do that to allow for more light penetration, but I am of the mind that it does more harm than good. Just my opinion.

As for lower limbs, yes I do remove the ones that are not going to get to at least half way to the top of the canopy and also all the little scrub stuff on the lower part of the plants. I will post a picture of that area tomorrow. I hadn't even thought about mentioning that since most people I know of get rid of all that.

Happy Growing.

Standaman

Oh cool and no problems with mould? Yes i did the same and remove the underneath of the canopy, just trying to find the right balance for me really. Look forward to seein them mate

Mist

Oh cool and no problems with mould? Yes i did the same and remove the underneath of the canopy, just trying to find the right balance for me really. Look forward to seein them mate

No, I don't have any problems with mold. I have a computer rack fan that has 6-120mm fans in it on one end of the buckets that pulls air from under the cannopy so that there isn't a dead air zone underneath. I started doing that years ago when I noticed that the air around my DWC buckets was a dead zone when they plants were big and in flower. Got to keep that air moving!

Mist

Buds are starting to put on some weight now. There are 4 weeks left in this grow and I am very happy so far with how this strain performed with some training.

There are sure a LOT more high producing tops in here than just 1 without training or 2 from topping. But the real proof is below in the pics>

mikeross

Looks good... I am going to try this method out on one of my tables.

So this canopy is about a 4.5x4.5 space? I assume your using a 1000 watt light?