What's new

Turning Over Last Year's Holes?

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Simple question, I'm wondering whether or not it's a good idea to turn the holes used last year before planting or leave them intact and plant in them as they are.

The main concern is that turning them over would kill living organisms currently thriving in the soil. The concern with not turning them over is one of aeration and the soil being too compact and needing loosened up.

budsnblunts

Veteran
I would give each hole a hand full of lime and stab the hole a few times to allow the lime to seep into old rootball.

troutman

Seed Whore
Turning over the soil won't kill the microorganisms. Just make sure the soil isn't too wet if you do or you'll
damage the soil texture and cause it to get compacted. Farmers don't work flooded wet soils for a reason.

:tiphat:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've had better success turning my large containers as opposed to leaving and planting in them as is.

Amend as advised by Arid.

Dankwolf

My game plan . easy basic version.

My game plan . easy basic version.

1 amend Soil if needed ( soil test or remember/guess what was lacking last season)
2 till soil
3 water lighly and let sit at least a week
4 test ph
6 Add appropriate amount of lime to adjust ph.
7 till soil
8 water lightly
9. Wait a week or more then test ph
10 repeat steps 6-9 untill ph is right
11 top with gypsum and worm castings ( should off set each other ph wise)
12 till top 6 inches
13 water thoroughly
14 wait at least a week
15 put plant in soil .

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
troutman;8538583[B said:
]Turning over the soil won't kill the microorganisms.[/B] Just make sure the soil isn't too wet if you do or you'll
damage the soil texture and cause it to get compacted. Farmers don't work flooded wet soils for a reason.

:tiphat:

Exactly, as troutman said...we turn over veggie and canna soil all the time. Planting peas adds nitrogen to the soil.

Too soggy...earthworms can't survive.

Dankwolf has the perfect step-by-step process! You can tell if it's rich soil....very loamy, dark (generally), earthy smell. In all our decades of growing we've never tested soil, but enrich continually.

Don't overthink.

'Boogieman'

I have larger healthier plants tilling and ammending the soil. I believe the idea behind no till is you destroy the fungal pathways in the soil but im not sure it matters if you add mycorrhizae to the roots at transplant outdoors.

Dankwolf

Exactly, as troutman said...we turn over veggie and canna soil all the time. Planting peas adds nitrogen to the soil.

Too soggy...earthworms can't survive.

Dankwolf has the perfect step-by-step process! You can tell if it's rich soil....very loamy, dark (generally), earthy smell. In all our decades of growing we've never tested soil, but enrich continually.

Don't overthink.

Between all 3 of us I think we have a simple informative way to approach outdoor .:tiphat: