What's new

Tunnel Blowers and Inline Duct Fans

zorakspg

I've been searching around hardcore trying to find an affordable fan for my grow. I just bought my C25 (C13 is no longer sold, but this one is virtually identical).

I'm gonna run a cooltube over my 400hps.

They sell simple inline duct booster fans for like 30 bucks that are rated as high as 250cfm.

I also just found a 'tunnel blower' for venting engines and bilges on boats at west marine for cheap. It says it does 240cfm. Will these do? I have been told that a duct-booster will not... but why not is my question? Forget about noise for the time being.. I can deal.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/120672/10001/12111/302/12

Thanks ~Z

G

Stanley Blowers

Stanley Blowers

Bartender is right - duct booster fans aren't powerful enough.

Check out this thread - the fan is about $40 at HD, Lowes, or Walmart & has a lot of pull. Check the sig in the thread for more info on other fan mods this guy has done - good work! Stanley Blower

I have a couple of these fans and they work well.

zorakspg

Hmmm....

Hmmm....

I ended up getting the engineroom blower for 35 bucks... I've had some wiring trouble but the first 15mins it ran it kept the heat down in the low 80's. It isn't super strong though, you are right.... If I bought another and put them inline would it do the trick?

G

Running fans inline doesn't work unless one fan is (I think) about twice as powerful as the other. Fans work by creating negative air pressure on one side - when you have two fans the same power running in line, the first fan is pushing air as fast as the second can pull, so you won't gain anything.

You'd be better running the fans side-by-side and using a "Y" connector to connect them both to the exhaust line. Use one fan for the cooltube & the other to pull air from the garden.

zorakspg

That'd work Ambre... I can't afford that as yet... but when I can I think that'd help alot... Another note... It is QUIET! The loudest thing is my ballest humming and I'll wrap it in towels to muffel.

Nuggy

well at least it's quiet. go to home depot and see what they have. IMO those bathroom fans work better than those duct boosters and you can find quiet ones. they have demo units up, turn them on and listen to them ;)

G

Zorakspg - Make sure you don't cover the air intakes when you wrap your ballast or it will burn out from overheating. Try putting it on top of a pillow or a rubber pad to absorb the vibrations instead of wrapping it. Also make sure you have the ballast up above danger level in case of water spills. Safety first!

zorakspg

Fan UPdate

Fan UPdate

I had to return the duct booster. I headed over to my local hydro store to fork over 130 for a 265cfm squirrel cage and the most amazing luck hit me... I got in a convo with the guy working there and lo and behold, he offered me a used hurricane centrifugal fan (210 cfm by Grotek) for $80!!!!

Holly fucking shit I just hit the jack-pot and got an awesome deal! Karma was on my side!

It works fantastically... (pictures of my cab soon when I have it finished).

QUESTION: Despite it's relative quiet, it makes a huge air wooshing sound coming out the back of the cab.... what might I do about this? It is louder than the sound of my AC coming through the vents....

ChaoticEntity

get a speed controller for it and it'll quiet it up a great deal!

also get a trueair air filter from wallyworld, they have a reasonable background sound that can mask a cabinet quite well.

Last edited: