What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TS1000 daisy chained ;)

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Hey V.G, yes mate they have 4 lol, and tri's have 3 :)
I have tried for years to get the tri count up, at F15 if tri by tri inbred, I was still at 33%. Now I know how to get the count to double that ratio, breed quad by quad lol. Numbers so far from the first batch are 2/3 tri, 1 in 11 quad. But the first quad reverted to tri by fusing 2 of the single bladed leaves together and then continuing as a tri. Fingers crossed with these three, and the next seeds sitting in compost waiting to show.

Funky, very nice. Im always happy to see another tri in the thread. I feel guilty for killing around 30 of them the other day now.
I'm surprised it was a slow grower, with the extra solar collector at each level it shouldn't be really? It is not related to strength, or any other trait. It is merely a separate trait in its own right.

At the point that plants breed, all the instruction sets play musical chairs. Some copies of genes turn into two copies, some get deleted, and some shuffle around. If a plant has 5 copies of one gene, and it breeds, it will pass on a random number of them, as will its partner. Some offspring get more copies of those genes than others.

There is a gene that has been labelled LEA13, and that gene creates a new growth point for leaves. I suspect that the tris and quads simply have more copies of this gene than normal bifoliar plants. There seems to be a tipping point at which time you get extra leaves / branches per node. Sometimes they get turned off, and a plant will revert to a lower leaf count state.
The only way to increase their numbers is to breed with them. But be warned, see my comments to V.G. I've been doing that since 98, and only just got a generation higher than 33%. It started with one in 70 seeds when I did my first tri x tri. And that was a backcross to the original mother as I didn't get another girl in the first set of offspring from my first female plant.

Frankly it adds little more than interest to a plant. But it takes nothing from it either.
Best of luck with whatever you decide man.

Extra photos, hamlet and then black ghash starting her stretch in the background. I promise I'll do an unboxing for the tent, when I unbox it.

IMG-20210326-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20210326-WA0001.jpg

funkyhorse

Hi there GMT
This is Fighting Buddha. I lost this one after a week from taking this pic when I uppotted to 1,3 liters at the same time as the rest of the family, it seems to have been a shock for this FB tri, I think I took it out of the humidity dome a little bit too soon and it clearly had lack of vigour and withered
This picture was taken when it was 4 days old
Click image for larger version  Name:	Fighting Buddha 4 days old.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	98.7 KB ID:	17816551
Click image for larger version  Name:	FB Doctor Magnetto.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	43.3 KB ID:	17816552

At this stage is when I had problems with both whorled phillotaxy plants
The experience with the Fighting Buddha helped me keep the CG72 tri alive which came later, I let the CG72 stay 20 days at the humidity dome before I uppotted, was developing very slow and it took 3 months which is a very long time in veg to grow to 30 cms height, compared with about 35-40 days for the rest of the family to arrive to that height in veg under same soil, lighting and conditions.
Both of the whorled phillotaxy stayed way behind their families. They needed to stay much longer at the humidity dome and to grow out from the stage shown at the picture got very difficult. The CG72 once it got to 30 cms and I brought it outdoors to the greenhouse started growing normally and it looks happy now

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Funky, I'm not asking where, but man you must live somewhere very dry, to need domes on seedlings. Here in the UK we have the opposite problem. I have no idea why you have had such difficulties, mine are a dream to grow. I don't mean to rub it in, but they are. Two other people have seeds from mine at the moment, so I'm waiting to hear back from them. I have no intention of making them public though, I just had a couple of private requests. So we'll see if they complain or thank me for them. The only thing I can think of is perhaps with yours being the outliers of the population, they haven't been through any gens of selection. Where as I'm on the 16th gen of selecting the healthiest parents that exhibit traits that I'm looking for. So maybe mine have just evolved to cope. I don't know.

Kin, it'll be within a week. I'll post when seeds start popping through the surface.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Black Ghash does look rather nice. Is there a brief history of that plant/line that you could share or point me towards?

VG

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Yes and no. NDN Guy, was a member here, still is under another name. I'm sure you remember him if you think back. He has the greatest selection of indica's that I've heard of never mind seen. Anyway , he had the original G13 clone in pure form, got it from some guy called Collin. Apparently before Neville got his. Anyway ndn crossed it to the hash plant. Ndn gave seeds out, and once offered to send me some, but I was too chicken shit to give my Addy out. So I missed out. Recently a member on here let it slip that they had received some, and crossed it with their own original ( descendant of) black domina cut. Now to be honest, that was always my personal holy grail cross. So when I saw that, I got on my knees and started begging. Fortunately, this kind member was good enough to post me out a few of his seeds. So I got to work, I think the start was documented in my GMT goes LED thread in the mars forum. This cutting that I'm keeping is an f3 of those seeds he sent me. I've crossed it with a few other things along the way, but this is not outcrossed, just selected along the way.
​​​​​so beyond that, the line was not in my hands, so I can't document it myself, but that's all I can say as that's as much as I've been told and I've done.

funkyhorse

Funky, I'm not asking where, but man you must live somewhere very dry, to need domes on seedlings. Here in the UK we have the opposite problem. I have no idea why you have had such difficulties, mine are a dream to grow. I don't mean to rub it in, but they are. Two other people have seeds from mine at the moment, so I'm waiting to hear back from them. I have no intention of making them public though, I just had a couple of private requests. So we'll see if they complain or thank me for them. The only thing I can think of is perhaps with yours being the outliers of the population, they haven't been through any gens of selection. Where as I'm on the 16th gen of selecting the healthiest parents that exhibit traits that I'm looking for. So maybe mine have just evolved to cope. I don't know.

Kin, it'll be within a week. I'll post when seeds start popping through the surface.

Hey GMT
I hope I didnt sound like complaining because I was not, truth is objective and what we feel about it is subjective, I was just describing what I saw with my tris and you provided great answers.
I am thankful to the opportunity given to acquire old seed and when you are running old seeds that havent been kept at the best of conditions by the own seedbanks, it is always more difficult and at the same time some interesting stuff might come up.
Both tris were found in old packs and at least in one of the two, it was not kept at the best conditions at all. I am just happy to have gotten from those packs the germination rate I got. From many other old packs germination rate was zero and I was relating this tri phenomena which is very interesting to old seed mutation

I am growing Seedsman Haze from original old pack and from MadMac repro. What you say about selection is very clear. The MadMac repro males are very resinous and the male from the original pack is not. After sprouting a lot of old packs and seeing what I find
I dont doubt for a moment your tris and quads are very vigorous

I live in nature, at a special microclimate with a lot of biodiversity in wetlands, far from lab conditions here. I use the humidity dome in order to protect the seed and the seedlings from predators and to provide a couple more of temperature degrees to their initial environment. Sometimes it is less humid at the humidity dome than out of it here, now we are in the 95% humidity range after some rain, very hard environment for indicas, they tend to go rotten here

I honestly appreciate your answers, have been very helpful for me to understand what I have a little bit better
Have a nice weekend

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Hey Funky, no man I didn't mean to imply you were knocking the phenomenon, just thinking of possibilities as to why they may have underperformed from the lines you found them in. I'm shocked you found one in two separate lines from two separate breeders at the same time. The odds of that are very remote. Not sure if you were lucky or unlucky lol.

​​​​​your environment sounds very different than I pictured. I can see why you opted for Sativa's. I thought Britain was tough for weed plants :). Drop any pics of tris you take into any of my threads man, I love them. Very happy to provide any info I have on any aspect of them, but without access to a lab, most of it is merely speculation and observation based. So don't carve any of it in stone.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Well I have to change my ratio numbers. I must have let the bigger seeds rise to the top of the bag on the first round. This round of 50 I only got 2 quads. Another 50 planted :)
i killed the first off as it reverted to a tri, sadly I think the next three have done the same thing. So there will be more executions once I make sure they are guilty. Pics !!!
IMG-20210330-WA0002.jpg

Sites playing funny buggers, hang on I'll try more pics in a second

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20210330-WA0001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.3 KB ID:	17819717
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20210330-WA0001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.3 KB ID:	17819717
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20210330-WA0001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.3 KB ID:	17819717 ​​​​​
I made the mistake of posting pics before the write up, so now this is the only place in the post it will let me write anything.
Above you can see some plants born quad, will then instantly revert to tri's. Very naughty, and not what we want. Above that, you can see the killing field, lots born tri, but all to be killed. This isn't 3+3=? Anymore. Its now 4+4=? So only quads survive, and loyal quads at that. The second of the second round is too small to photograph clearly yet, I tried, but I don't have a macro that works on this phone.

next up is what I'm looking for, second round, 4 single blades coming through.
well that's all for this update, I'll update on whether the oldest three survivors were killed, and any more born.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
To be honest they grow just like any other, but just far rarer. I killed the three traitors to the quad cause, so I have to adjust my numbers to two in 95 and that may drop further. I had another 50 in soil, I just put another 20 in. So waiting on the next 70 to sprout now. I just thought that for the first run in the new Mars tent, we should have something alien looking.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Another one who's head is at risk, this looks like it was a fake quad, don't ya just hate a fake?

IMG-20210401-WA0002.jpg
​​​​​​​

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Meanwhile in the big grow space, ( yes I know, I need to get the tent up, it will be up soon)

IMG-20210404-WA0000.jpg

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Thanks Chevy, next round of seeds are starting to pop their little heads out of the soil now. So fingers crossed I find someone to keep my now lonely quad happy. She's (fingers crossed) the only one left out of the first 95 seeds. The bigger space should be flowering from now on. So that should get busier.

Latest posts

Latest posts