What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TS1000 daisy chained ;)

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
They're far more numerous with the run on timer, and there's one 50% stronger for a tenner less. I figured that would make a plug timer harder to use though. I'd rather keep things simple. I'm going to order that £60 one at some point soon. Esp now I know the tent's not going to catch on fire without it. It's purely to keep air pootling through the plants now and then. Also to test in the larger tent.

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
I need to get a dehumidifier too. I'm tired of my window looking like it just went through a car wash in the winter. Something else mars should consider selling really. Most growers have them.

Thanks for the suggestion. with time goes, i believe we will sell that in future. We have began to sell the kits now but not dehumidifer yet.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I took most of the bigger girls out to remove lower branches and fit them back in a little better. Then I moved the small tent's light lower as there were no heat issues so far and they've had a few days to get used to the UV light now. Let ya know how that goes. For now, a couple of pics

IMG-20210820-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20210820-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20210820-WA0002.jpg

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Hey Mars, I thought the UK wasn't getting your fans until Xmas? I just followed a link to this interesting thing http://marshydroled.co.uk/products/...TpuNlcNyZ9o5kZsCgv8DbN-i19woYNZhoCPEkQAvD_BwE

It does say though power supply 120v which isn't what the UK runs on. Is that a typo or would one of those need some sort of converter?
Seems a bit noisy for domestic use, but does that temp screen mean it auto comes on and off? I'm not sure, maybe something mainly for summer use or in hotter areas than the UK. It does seem very powerful, perhaps good for larger tents where more watts of lighting are used?

Looks very cool.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Hey Mars, I thought the UK wasn't getting your fans until Xmas? I just followed a link to this interesting thing http://marshydroled.co.uk/products/...TpuNlcNyZ9o5kZsCgv8DbN-i19woYNZhoCPEkQAvD_BwE

It does say though power supply 120v which isn't what the UK runs on. Is that a typo or would one of those need some sort of converter?
Seems a bit noisy for domestic use, but does that temp screen mean it auto comes on and off? I'm not sure, maybe something mainly for summer use or in hotter areas than the UK. It does seem very powerful, perhaps good for larger tents where more watts of lighting are used?

Looks very cool.

Does look good that. Just 37db which can further be reduced with silencers such as simple hard pipe. 10 power levels, that the controller switches between in order to meet the users requirements for temp and humidity. With an alarm if it fails. That RH control is interesting as RH is why you will need extraction.

Mars Hydro Led

Vendor

Looks very cool.

It is a typo for the 120V power supply. It was supposed to 220V outlet. the temp screen means it will come on and offer automatically. ;). Not only for hot areas and larger tents. This combo is good for air flow and odor control. The two combos are just available in UK site. It is not available on our official website yet.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Interesting, very interesting, I don't suppose there's a discount code for public testers :flowers2:, lol. It's ok, I'm only joking for the thread. I may put one in the 4x2 but I think it would be overkill in the 2x2.

Mars Hydro Led

Vendor
Interesting, very interesting, I don't suppose there's a discount code for public testers :flowers2:, lol. It's ok, I'm only joking for the thread. I may put one in the 4x2 but I think it would be overkill in the 2x2.

lol, don't forget the coupon code"ICMAG" when you purchase any item on our official website www.mars-hydro.com ;)

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
The marshydroled UK site is an official site though isn't it? Just since that's the only place that shows them so.....also what shows on the transaction for the bank, it's kind of an incriminating name to appear on financial records that, be better if it was aunt Betty's cake store or something less illegal sounding.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I must withdraw my support for the fan... the published specifications are wrong.
I see in the photo, the 4" is a 40w 205 cubit-whatsits. The spec below is a 59w 200 cubits fan. I feel sure the 6" is the higher powered fan, and can't shift less air. I also see the 4" is 28db and must query if that's running on power 1 or 10. I don't feel confident anymore.

I was looking, as the 6" might do both. With just one fan, it could get a little more attention. You could put a 6" hard pvc 90 elbow on each side of it. With 2' of hard pvc pipe running from each. Or cough £150 on a pair of actual silencers/acoustic dampeners.
In my early days, I would put a fan in a long box. Cut holes in the end for my typical flexi duct, then where the flexi reached through the box to the fan, I would wrap it in old towels, before closing the box. That all a silencer is really. Though flexi does little for smoothing the turbulance. Is does let the noise out into the towels. Then the box. Which gives scope for further filling.

If you like that style fan, but find the controller a bit much, Screwfix have a 22db one https://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-...nted&cm_sp=managedredirect-_-hvac-_-inlinefan

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Oh, darn. Thanks f-e. Seems odd that they would get the airflow rate just wrong though. They're normally pretty accurate with numbers. It does say something about the blade design getting extra air flow compared to other fans. Could that be a factor?

There were three things I liked about the mars fan. 1, I assumed it came pre wired so I just had to plug it in,
2, the controller is attractive. I figured I could put the sensor in the flower chamber and have the plumbing pipes come from the flower tent into the bottom of the veg tent, with the fan extracting from the top of the veg tent. That would activate automatically drawing warm humid air flowing over the veg plants and out of the top of the veg tent.
3, with the variable power settings, I figured I could turn it down to make it run a bit longer but quieter. I know over a hundred quid is more than most fans in that class, but the controller meant I could set it and forget it.

How much air do I really need to shift anyway? I can get 50m an hour silently for £60 but I need to turn it on and off myself, or mars will do it automatically much faster but noisier. The silent one I think I'd need to leave running permanently but has a five year warranty, which I'd probably be using, as it won't be meant to be running all the time. I know people have issues with the warranties mars offer, but the sensor and electronics part may be able to be moved to another fan after I wear that one out. Making replacing it cheaper.

There's one obvious question to ask mars, is the dB level quoted, taken at it's noisiest or its quietest.

If that's the noisiest, and it's shifting enough air for both tents, and if it can be turned down to reduce its volume, then it still seems attractive to me, unless that results in too little airflow.

I guess a second question is what's the airflow rate at it's lowest setting?

Are you there Mars?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Pulling through tents connected to tents is difficult. The extractor pulling on the veg area is exerting it's force across a good few meters of tent wall, pulling it inwards. Only a small part of that wall is the tube to the next tent. So the tube gets a comparably small amount of the fans effort. It takes a centrifugal fan to do that sort of work. The only way to share one of these fans would be splitting the ducting. So the fan is piped to extract from both.

A proper centrifugal EC fan such as the Vents EK 100 EC can be found for about £140 in Germany. I forget who though. They stopped sending us them after brexit, but might be sending them again now. My memory is rattling around something about radon gas...

https://www.radonshop.com/Vents-VK-E...entrifugal-fan
The same motor is found in the systemair fan, which is about £200 off the shelf. The Vents range are often in hydro shops for £300 not £140. Running around 20% they make no noise. I have to feel the breeze to know it's on.

Personally, I would be looking at the £70 24db 250 cubits fan in my last posts link. Importantly, coupled with a variac https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114909930...0AAOSw0KFhAMHE
Any other form of speed control, wouldn't interest me. VVVF drive hasn't reached us yet. So this is as quiet as it gets. Often with other Electronic controls, the wind noise decreases but buzzing increases. Giving no real noise attenuation. The buzzing is quite physical, so mechanical noise isolation is needed. It just moves the problem around.

The variac reduces the voltage, but can also increase it. You can run a fan at 250v with that one, and 270v is common. They are bench testing kit for under and over voltage testing. Some manufacturers make them just for us, with just a 6 position switch, not a fully variable control. They cost about £50iirc
The fan+variac combination isn't as good as an EC fan. However, that controller could run a few fans. Or a different one in the future. It's flexible, but no real financial saving as a single install.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
This is getting ridiculous. The more I find out about fans, the more sense my dual wardrobes make. It's basically just a propeller connected to an electric motor. Why is this such a mine field.
When I looked at the numbers, and bare in mind I'm not used to calculating converted volumes, my 70x70 cm tent is 22 cubic feet. So the 4x2 should be 44 CF. Now if I need one air exchange per 3 minutes, I need around 15 CFM. That's for my bigger tent. That's around 0.4 cubic metres. That's 30 cmh. I can get that from those bathroom extractors much quieter and cheaper, but have to do some wiring. It also means it is constantly running. Now if I get the mars, that's just over a hundred quid but it's not always blowing.
Now bare in mind, I sleep 2 feet from where this fan will be. I spend a lot of the day within a couple of metres. I can't have constant nor intermittent noise being generated. But I don't want to be spending over £150 per fan set set up if I can get away with less. Two bathroom extractors are cheaper than a fan and controller.
The wardrobes send the hot air out of the top and cooler air seeps in from everywhere. It does that silently at a rate the plants are happy with. But I have no idea about the actual temp or humidity. I need the specs on the mars fan beyond the blurb really before I can make a decision. I like the mars set up, it's plug and play and it's mars. Two pluses. I like the bathroom extractor at £60, it's cheap and it's silent. I certainly don't want to be spending money on power converters nor do I want to waste money on something that'll wake me up 40 times a night and piss me off all day. This isn't a new problem, why is this so hard to figure out.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
When this is all behind you, your tent air will be blown into the room, where the tent draws it's air in from. The tent's and room together form the climate. Large items like heaters and dehumidifiers live in the room, for the purpose of keeping it nice in the tents. There is good reason to never stop the extraction. As it isolates the tents from items in the room, such as humidifiers or aircon. The room air is conditioned to be fed into the tent constantly. The mars unit should have a minimum fan speed setting to ensure it never goes right off. It should settle down, just flicking between a small range of power levels. The noise that bothers you might not be the volume, but rather, the change in volume. If I'm away from the night, I'm always aware of just how silent things can be. I feel desolate. I could sell audio recordings of my tent to aid peoples sleep. It's like the sea ebbing from shingle. I hear every pop of a heater though. The ticking of the lighting timer. The control relays calling for irrigation. The white noise really is used as a sleep aid though.

Do you listen to a fan, hearing both components of the noise? The ruffled air and the 100 torque peaks per second that AC 50hz produces.
The power at the wall, isn't always on. It actually turns off 100 times a second. The power alternates, first flowing one way, then the other. With this pause in the middle. The result is the fan gets a push, then another, then another. Little torque peaks. A buzzing humming noise of this repetitiveness https://soundcloud.com/calvin-jude-luiz/bass-test-50hz-5min-test-tone
That's a common tone and carries well through building structures. If we use electronic speed control, it's nearly always achieved by similarly switching the power on and off. It's the same power though. The same torque peak. Each of the 100 AC power pulses, being switched on/off rapidly. Often the noise gets worse as you introduce more on/off events to slow the fan. That is the beauty of the cooker hood and some of these extractors being 2 or 3 speed. It's a smaller motor winding being selected, if you want to go slower. Like you bought a smaller fan.
Variacs don't adjust the number of cycles to slow the motor. They reduce the size of each torque peak. No switching full torque on/off rapidly. Instead a lowering of the torque to the minimum that can be applied, still 100 times a second. It's much smoother. But still vibrates at that familiar frequency enough to need careful mounting.
The EC fan does away with 50hz entirely. It won't make that hum. The best example is a PC fan. If such a fan shakes a cab enough to hear it, the noise is likely to be high pitched. In line with the fans rotational frequency. As the power is applied dependent on the rotors position and the amount of force required at the right moment. They won't buzz.

We notice changes in noise level like things turning on/off. Things that we may not of known were running, until they turn off.

You keep finding your way back to that bathroom fan. I don't think it would cost much to just try it. You can take it back. I'm not sure it will do much once you are zipped up, but perhaps the time for speculation has passed. It might be quicker now, to just go and get one. You could buy two, with the intention of returning the wrong one. You should also look on Toolstation, who are screwfix's competitor. They might even be nearer.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
The reason I went solid state is I can't have laptop fans or desktop fans going. It's horrific. I spent 10 hours a day surrounded by that shit in my early working life. I'm not going to get used to noise, it's not soothing to me. I live in silence, it's essential to my peace of mind. I couldn't live near a road, or a beach or anything that made noise. I'm surprised mars hasnt come back with any answers yet. I'm starting to wonder if tents are for me at this point.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Sorry about that folks, my brain got a little too noisy for me, so I took a quick break to quieten it down a little.
the small tent is rapidly running out of room, and the seed plants are growing so quickly that they really need repotting already. I'm trying to even out the canopy ready to switch to the new tent and get things looking nice, so I started topping them young and carried on. I leave the bottom layer to grow clones for me, but the ecsdxsssdh now has 32 tops forming plus the next clones at the first node. Pics

IMG-20210905-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20210905-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20210905-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20210905-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20210905-WA0001.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20210905-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20210905-WA0004.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 45

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Tody is the 5 week mark from repotting and flipping to 12/12.
hamlet buds look like this

Black G# buds look like this
IMG-20210906-WA0000.jpg

:wave: