What's new

Trying to decide between an aero system and RDWC (undercurrent) ???

highonmt

Veteran
lots of great info already

as hempy said most aero systems tend to have constantly waterlogged roots.. but I will say, with my old system which is vertical there was no waterlogged roots because gravity would drain it back to a self contained rez.. when I was growing Sensi Star in it (which is hairier than my current strain, so more noticeable) the bottom 2-3 rows roots would eventually grow into the rez and become a DWC/aero hybrid... but the top 2 rows never have a chance to make it that far so they were "pure aero"

I have noticed that those two top rows would be farther aheadit

Your are describing an nft system. Thats why they work so well. I would bet that using a fast flow into the net pot would work just as well as the misters. Most aero system I have seen are just nft systems with sprayers instead of drip lines. If you look at most root pictures in aero they are running down a gully and are lying flat on the bottom in the stream of aerated water. In my opinion you only have an aero system if your roots are hanging in the air. But heck call em what you like if they work for you use um.
HM

medicalmj

Veteran
Your are describing an nft system. Thats why they work so well. I would bet that using a fast flow into the net pot would work just as well as the misters. Most aero system I have seen are just nft systems with sprayers instead of drip lines. If you look at most root pictures in aero they are running down a gully and are lying flat on the bottom in the stream of aerated water. In my opinion you only have an aero system if your roots are hanging in the air. But heck call em what you like if they work for you use um.
HM

Yeah, most of the "areo" systems I've seen at the shops are just 4" plastic post with with sprayers that don't really mist...more like a piss stream. And the roots inside are matted up on the bottom were the nutrients flow...

I once built a true areo in a 5 gal bucket. They sat above a res, which they would drain back into. It takes a really powerful pump to create a true mist tho. Incredible root mass and growth. Only problem I had was that once the bottom of a root mass was so thick that it developed a bit of rot. I had to take it off the recirc res and connect to my RDWC, which meant that about 2/3 of the buckect was now filled with solution and had to add an air stone to correct.