What's new

Trying Hydro

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
That's not going to cut it.

Definitely look into the spider mite threads. Personally, I'd hit them with azamax or azatrol right now... while they're still small and young and not in flower. I won't use that stuff even 3 weeks before flower now... too sensitive. Bleah!

There are other options... safer's 3 in 1 soap works well, if you use it correctly. Every 3 days for 2 weeks and temps MUST NOT go near 83F or above. They breed too fast at higher temps. Overkill? Yes, but it works. *shrug*

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

medicalmj

Veteran
I found spider mites on all of the plants. I used a bleach solution to DESTROY the bastards!!! The plants took a hit but are still alive

Dude, bleach is for cleaning stuff not killing mites. As a grower you should have ON HAND an arsenal for just such events. At a minimum (because these are all cheap) you should have on your shelf right now:

For Bugs:
Neem (you also need a non-ionic surfactant like Coco-Wet)
Captian Jack's (or any thing with spinosad)
Azamax (processed neem, more $ so I save for drenches)
*Pyrethrum (make sure it's only pyrethrum, like Evergreen)

*I don't have any pyrethrum cause I have lots of other stuff listed below, but might pick up some evergreen soon.

And add these when you need (like now) or can afford it:
Mighty Wash
Essential Oils (SNS 217, Ed's Zero tolerance, Liquid Lady Bug, etc.)

For Mildew:
Greenscure
Serenade or Actinovate (Seranade is b. subtilis strain QST 713 and Actinovate is s. lydicus strain WYEC 108)
And neem works too.
Also Oxidate is awesome if you can find.
And there's a couple oil products by SNS and Ed R. that are lil costly but work great, esp. at end of flower.

And sulfur burners, if ya can handle and afford the 100 bucks or so, are amazing for fightin PM.

If you're serious and if you got a big room Pylon is an absolute must for mites, unless you like f*cking around.

Probably missed some things but it'll get ya in the right direction.
BTW - Avid is NOT for veggies.

Last edited:

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...regular dishwashing liquid will do in a pinch, ...just a drop or two in a spray bottle and apply exactly as Hydro-Soil recommended you apply the safers soap, it turns out soap acts like an acid on the mite shells so just a bit and thier innards leak out.

...stay vigilant and spider-mites are a minor pain in the ass.

bozo

Bobbles

Dish soap (Dawn preferably, but Ive used the cheap $1 dollar store stuff, works fine)
Neem Oil
Habanero Spray

justanotherbozo

Veteran
Yeah, but why would you invest all this money, time and risk and then get yourself in a pinch???

...for example, you just spotted mites on your plants and the stores are closed and you don't want to wait? ...what kind of a question was that anyway? ...what kind of response where you hoping to elicit?

bozo

atomos

a couple days after the bleach war vs spider mites.

over all i am pleased. 1 plant died a day later. 1 plant is dying, 3 plants have recovered beautifully. and the other 3 are getting better day by day. I also decided to plant some more seeds.

I hope there are no further issues to deal with

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 7

justanotherbozo

Veteran
a couple days after the bleach war vs spider mites.

over all i am pleased. 1 plant died a day later. 1 plant is dying, 3 plants have recovered beautifully. and the other 3 are getting better day by day. I also decided to plant some more seeds.

I hope there are no further issues to deal with

expect issues and losses and you won't be disappointed.

...these issues are how we grow as growers, for example, you now know, with absolute certainty, that spraying bleach on your plants is a bad idea, for ANY reason.

...each of these 'issues' is it's own learning experience.

bozo

atomos

...these issues are how we grow as growers, for example, you now know, with absolute certainty, that spraying bleach on your plants is a bad idea, for ANY reason.
bozo[/quote]

it got rid of all the mites with some damage. for being light on cash and using what i have, i am pleased with the results.

N

noyd666

:biggrin:the main thing is your happy with your result lol , now i know if in a pinch i can use lol bleach,lightly done of course, good on ya its only a weed.:blowbubbles:

medicalmj

Veteran
...for example, you just spotted mites on your plants and the stores are closed and you don't want to wait? ...what kind of a question was that anyway? ...what kind of response where you hoping to elicit?

bozo

Simple. Don't get in a pinch. You planned your room, bought lights, seeds or clones, etc., you should have at least got some neem, surfactant and perhaps some spinosad, pyrethrum etc., for this occasion. You can buy all three plus a surfactant for under $50. So not having that stuff on hand is poor planning.

So to anyone getting a room together and to those who have a room. Don't get caught wit yer pants down:)

highonmt

Veteran
bozo

it got rid of all the mites with some damage. for being light on cash and using what i have, i am pleased with the results.[/QUOTE]

For now you mean. These things are known as The borg for a reason. I wager they will be back. If you are really cheap you can just mix up a solution of peroxide and isopropyl alchohol. Both can be had at the chemist for under 5bucks over the counter. mix ipa and peroxide togeter 1:1 and dilute 5:1 with water. spray on plants every couple of days. Kills bugs dead. If the bugs don't die dilute with less water. This will not injure your plants. Save your bleach for your whites.
HM

atomos

For now you mean. These things are known as The borg for a reason. I wager they will be back. If you are really cheap you can just mix up a solution of peroxide and isopropyl alchohol. Both can be had at the chemist for under 5bucks over the counter. mix ipa and peroxide togeter 1:1 and dilute 5:1 with water. spray on plants every couple of days. Kills bugs dead. If the bugs don't die dilute with less water. This will not injure your plants. Save your bleach for your whites.
HM[/quote]

I never tried that combination, i will have to try it in the event of further attacks. Thank you for the info!!

highonmt

Veteran
highmont -

brown bottle H2o2 or 35% food grade? Never heard, but will test it.

just brown bottle h2o2 and 70% ipaworks fine. If you have access to 35% you have to dilute it more. I have heard that some folks use straight ipa. The recipe I gave you will not hurt your plants and will kill bugs and dissolve the waxy case on the eggs. Cheap as you get. The recipe for 35% peroxide is 20ml 95% ipa and 30ml peroxide in 1L water. Hope this helps. You should look in the inf
HM

atomos

the spider mites are all dead! the plants have recovered and are doing AWESOME!!! i plan on cloning them to check sex.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 7
N

noyd666

nice and clean looking grow now atomos:tumbleweed: did you use anything other than the bleach:biggrin: highonmt rec sounds ok if its less dollars. lol they look preety bloody good for something thats been nukkked with bleach. success with rest of grow bro.:tiphat:

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They're looking good now Atomos,
You took action - that's what saved them.
Stay safe

atomos

nice and clean looking grow now atomos:tumbleweed: did you use anything other than the bleach:biggrin: highonmt rec sounds ok if its less dollars. lol they look preety bloody good for something thats been nukkked with bleach. success with rest of grow bro.:tiphat:

yes i used a 1-10 ratio of bleach to water

the first day i dunked the whole plant and used my fingers to wash them. On the third day i sprayed them with the same ratio of bleach to water, then waited for about 30 mins then sprayed regular water on the plant

medicalmj

Veteran
yes i used a 1-10 ratio of bleach to water

the first day i dunked the whole plant and used my fingers to wash them. On the third day i sprayed them with the same ratio of bleach to water, then waited for about 30 mins then sprayed regular water on the plant

They're looking great.

While someone here doesn't think planning is prudent, hopefully you think otherwise. So scrape up $30-50 and get some preventive medicine for when you need it. Here again are some cheap but effective pest control products:
Neem (be sure to mix w non-ionic surfactant like coco-wet)
Spinosad (Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew)
Pyrethrum

This is well under $50. So you might be able to find an essential oil like Ed's, Liquid Lady bug, SNS 217, etc. to add and still be at $50. And if you got more $ get mighty wash too (spider mite only and great when if=n flower) Save the essential oils and mighty wash for when you're in flowering.