What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Trump administration hints at ‘greater enforcement’ of marijuana laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrappy-doo

:peek:

There is a couple threads going now on this topic. More than once I’ve seen claims put forth that enforcement won’t happen due to a lack of resources. These claims represent a fundamental misunderstanding of the responsibility - as well as ability - to enforce federal statutes. This ability occurs also at a state level.

So, the question is: how many of you in med and or rec legal states have an AG not in favor of said state legalization? I know my AG would love to be told he has a green light to enforce... and how many district US Attorneys would love a green light from whom they take direction: The U.S. Attorney General.

The ability to seize assets renders the claim of a lack of resources to enforce, ineffectual. Specifically at a state level.

The Supremacy Clause rules...

What's the misunderstanding? Lack of resources means more than just finances. It's also lack of manpower, time, and space. Even on a state level it would be extremely cumbersome to go after everyone growing, and the legal, political, and social blowback would be catastrophic. No one would stand for it. The entire administration would lose a ton of support and Trump would lose any chance for re-election. Just the same way mass deportation that people are shitting their pants over is unrealistic, so is this. They will go after the big fish using legal states as sanctuary to run numbers into the black market. The little people and legit compliant orgs and businesses will remain.

That's my prediction, and I think the people who need to worry are the ones breaking the law, same as it always has been. I know I'm moving to a legal state and not try to be a big dog and will not worry one single bit.

brown_thumb

^^^ Deputization takes only days to advertise and perform en masse. Rudimentary training can be done in a matter of days. I think this administration is 'stoopid' enough to do precisely that.

Jhhnn

Veteran
^^^ Deputization takes only days to advertise and perform en masse. Rudimentary training can be done in a matter of days. I think this administration is 'stoopid' enough to do precisely that.

Don't spend too much time quivering under the bed, OK?

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Why you gotta be a dick to make a point?
Just say
In my opinion no one has to worry about sessions going after herb?

I think you should lighten up a little. There's no shortage of smart asses on ICMAG.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lighten up? Are you kidding me? This is the "ultra light" subrob typing!!!
I haven't told anyone to fuck their mother in over THREE MONTHS!!!! I'm on a sensitivity program man...
EDIT
And jelly...Just wondering...What makes my post worse than the one I was posting about? Just curious...Matter of fact...I would say his was much more smartass ...Mine was just kind of rude..

Bumbatar

Well its official, how many times do people have to be lied to before we stop electing republicans. This is simple republicans = less freedom. They only support the right of states and large corporations to take your individual freedoms away. There are going to be raids at the Nevada cannabis cup.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...ng-to-shut-down-las-vegass-cannabis-cup-vgtrn

Since Nevada voted to legalize recreational marijuana last November, High Times magazine decided to bring the Cannabis Cup—its roving celebration of everything tokable—to the Las Vegas area for the first time. But now the feds are reportedly trying to shut it down, according to the Reno Gazette-Journal.

This year's festival—which usually attracts between 7,000 and 35,000 stoners—is set to take place on land that belongs to the Moapa Paiute Tribe, a 30-minute drive from the Strip. Even though weed is now legal in the state, tribal lands fall into murky territory regarding the drug's legality. Under two Department of Justice memoranda, US district attorneys are supposed to consider local laws regarding marijuana enforcement and work with tribal governments on a case-by-case basis.

Despite those directives, Daniel Bogden, a US district attorney based in Las Vegas, recently sent a letter to the tribe, reminding it that the sale, transport, and use of marijuana is still illegal under federal law.

"Nothing in the Guidance Memorandum or the Cole Memorandum alters the authority or jurisdiction of the United States to enforce federal law in Indian Country or elsewhere," Bogden wrote in the letter, obtained by the Gazette-Journal.

Darren Daboda, the tribe's chairman, has reportedly been working with the US Attorney's Office to smooth things out before the weekend. The festival is set to feature an edibles cooking contest, high-tech vape pen demonstrations, and performances by Ludacris, Chief Keef, and B-Real.

"The tribe is promoting it as a vendors' crafts, food, and concert event. We're not promoting the distributor or selling [marijuana]," Daboda said. "To us, we're looking at it as utilizing our sovereignty. As long as [marijuana] is not visible, we're told it will be OK."

This could be something of a test case for how the Trump administration is going to handle federal enforcement of drug laws in states where marijuana has been legalized. If federal agents were to show up and shut down the Cannabis Cup, it would certainly indicate how the new White House sees local marijuana laws.

Last week, White House press secretary Sean Spicer hinted that the feds would be cracking down on recreational weed but didn't offer a specific plan. Attorney General Jeff Sessions has no love for legalized marijuana either, telling reporters last week, "States, they can pass the laws they choose... I would just say it does remain a violation of federal law to distribute marijuana throughout any place in the United States, whether a state legalizes it or not."

Well its official, how many times do people have to be lied to before we stop electing republicans. This is simple republicans = less freedom. They only support the right of states and large corporations to take your individual freedoms away. There are going to be raids at the Nevada cannabis cup.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...ng-to-shut-down-las-vegass-cannabis-cup-vgtrn

Since Nevada voted to legalize recreational marijuana last November, High Times magazine decided to bring the Cannabis Cup—its roving celebration of everything tokable—to the Las Vegas area for the first time. But now the feds are reportedly trying to shut it down, according to the Reno Gazette-Journal.

This year's festival—which usually attracts between 7,000 and 35,000 stoners—is set to take place on land that belongs to the Moapa Paiute Tribe, a 30-minute drive from the Strip. Even though weed is now legal in the state, tribal lands fall into murky territory regarding the drug's legality. Under two Department of Justice memoranda, US district attorneys are supposed to consider local laws regarding marijuana enforcement and work with tribal governments on a case-by-case basis.

Despite those directives, Daniel Bogden, a US district attorney based in Las Vegas, recently sent a letter to the tribe, reminding it that the sale, transport, and use of marijuana is still illegal under federal law.

"Nothing in the Guidance Memorandum or the Cole Memorandum alters the authority or jurisdiction of the United States to enforce federal law in Indian Country or elsewhere," Bogden wrote in the letter, obtained by the Gazette-Journal.

Darren Daboda, the tribe's chairman, has reportedly been working with the US Attorney's Office to smooth things out before the weekend. The festival is set to feature an edibles cooking contest, high-tech vape pen demonstrations, and performances by Ludacris, Chief Keef, and B-Real.

"The tribe is promoting it as a vendors' crafts, food, and concert event. We're not promoting the distributor or selling [marijuana]," Daboda said. "To us, we're looking at it as utilizing our sovereignty. As long as [marijuana] is not visible, we're told it will be OK."

This could be something of a test case for how the Trump administration is going to handle federal enforcement of drug laws in states where marijuana has been legalized. If federal agents were to show up and shut down the Cannabis Cup, it would certainly indicate how the new White House sees local marijuana laws.

Last week, White House press secretary Sean Spicer hinted that the feds would be cracking down on recreational weed but didn't offer a specific plan. Attorney General Jeff Sessions has no love for legalized marijuana either, telling reporters last week, "States, they can pass the laws they choose... I would just say it does remain a violation of federal law to distribute marijuana throughout any place in the United States, whether a state legalizes it or not."

#icMAGA.com

Jhhnn

Veteran
Why you gotta be a dick to make a point?
Just say
In my opinion no one has to worry about sessions going after herb?

Just joking around. I salute those who grow in forbidden places & recognize that there's a healthy amount of paranoia in that. Fears of mass deputization are a bit over the top, imho, so my comment was too.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
And jelly...Just wondering...What makes my post worse than the one I was posting about? Just curious...Matter of fact...I would say his was much more smartass ...Mine was just kind of rude..

I don't know what makes it worse. Maybe because yours was so direct, and his was more just snarky.

I guess I get all that out of my system on Facebook, and I come over to ICMAG to chill out. Which might lead you to ask, what am I doing on this thread and its sister thread about J Sessions.

I don't know. I really don't.

Us humans need to find a way to get along, even pro-Trump and anti-Trump, pro-Hillary/Obama and anti-Hillary/Obama. It's just politics, folks. Don't let them turn us into animals.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just joking around. I salute those who grow in forbidden places & recognize that there's a healthy amount of paranoia in that. Fears of mass deputization are a bit over the top, imho, so my comment was too.
BAM! I usually pick up on the sarcasm and over the top part! Apologies! Unless your a dick...like me!

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't know what makes it worse. Maybe because yours was so direct, and his was more just snarky.

I guess I get all that out of my system on Facebook, and I come over to ICMAG to chill out. Which might lead you to ask, what am I doing on this thread and its sister thread about J Sessions.

I don't know. I really don't.

Us humans need to find a way to get along, even pro-Trump and anti-Trump, pro-Hillary/Obama and anti-Hillary/Obama. It's just politics, folks. Don't let them turn us into animals.
Hey man- I'm feeling the love!!!

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
I guess we will see next month in San Berdoo Cali, if HT doesn't cancel it...

Much as I like the idea of a cannabis cup, I would never again go to an event put up by High Times. I went to the 2014 CC in Amsterdam, and it was a giant cluster fuck. Don't get me wrong, I still had a great time in Amsterdam, but in no way did HT help.

I went to a couple coffee shops, and when I showed them my CC laminated badge, they almost kicked me out! They hate High Times.

vta

Veteran
I guess we will see next month in San Berdoo Cali, if HT doesn't cancel it...

It will go on, no problem. Main reason, this one isn't being held on Federal property. Whoever picked that location near Vegas was not thinking clearly...

Status
Not open for further replies.