What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

True Terpenes VISCOSITY extract liquifier LAB TESTS: Mineral oil but no terps!!

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
This website and the wealth of knowledge contained herein have been a real education for me. One topic is the inhalation of oils. I knew it was a bad idea from the first time I left cooking oil heating on the stove, went away and forgot for a hour or two, and came back to a house filled with cooking oil vapor.

Was the "mineral oil" determined to be a health hazard like Vitamin E acetate has been? It seems this has dropped after TT changed the formula. Oh and BTW, good work EN!

So what about the heavier oils in our plant? The thicker things like tric stalks, plant waxes, etc? They seem to evaporate at a higher temp than the sweet aromatics. They remain when doing bubble hash if you don't sift them out. I know this as I do dabs in my low temp pen and there is oily residue that won't boil off. I was using a coil before and it could cook those thicker oils, and I coughed like crazy. Are these thicker also coating our lungs when they condense at 98.6??

M

Mr D

This website and the wealth of knowledge contained herein have been a real education for me. One topic is the inhalation of oils. I knew it was a bad idea from the first time I left cooking oil heating on the stove, went away and forgot for a hour or two, and came back to a house filled with cooking oil vapor.

Was the "mineral oil" determined to be a health hazard like Vitamin E acetate has been? It eems this has dropped after TT changed the formula. Oh and BTW, good work EN!

So what about the heavier oils in our plant? The thicker things like tric stalks, plant waxes, etc? They seem to evaporate at a higher temp than the sweet aromatics. They behind remains when doing bubble hash if you don't sift them out. I know this as I do dabs in my low temp pen and there is oily residue that won't boil off at the temp it makes. I was using a coil before and it could cook off those thicker oils, and I coughed like crazy as the thicker components evaporated. Plus they taste bad. Are these thicker components also coating our lungs when they condense at 98.6??

Regardless of the cutting agent, vaporizing oil in to your lungs is an extremely stupid idea, even if it's pure cannabis oil....it's still an oil.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Regardless of the cutting agent, vaporizing oil in to your lungs is an extremely stupid idea, even if it's pure cannabis oil....it's still an oil.
nathan.gif

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I get that and am trying to reduce the damage while getting the goods.

I have a hunch that the lower temps I like to vape at to feel good are not making vapor from the thicker compounds. When the temp is higher I cough - my lungs are rejecting the vapor. Lower the temp to 300 and it is like a soothing med. Fill a bag at a higher temp and let it sit, flavors re-emerge and no coughing.

Sooooo, it is becoming my unscientific theory that it takes higher temps to vaporize the thicker nastier oils. There is a trade-off between getting higher temp compounds and the effect they have. I think those higher boiling point compounds are condensing on the Volcano bag wall.

I wonder how volitile the vitamin C acetate or mineral oil are. Plus, just how hot do liquid vape pens get?

CannaRed

Cannabinerd

Was the "mineral oil" determined to be a health hazard like Vitamin E acetate has been? It seems this has dropped after TT changed the formula. Oh and BTW, good work EN!

So what about the heavier oils in our plant? The thicker things like tric stalks, plant waxes, etc? They seem to evaporate at a higher temp than the sweet aromatics. They remain when doing bubble hash if you don't sift them out. I know this as I do dabs in my low temp pen and there is oily residue that won't boil off. I was using a coil before and it could cook those thicker oils, and I coughed like crazy. Are these thicker also coating our lungs when they condense at 98.6??

Adam Dunn has two episodes with Jim Freir about this. Those plant waxes are damaging, more so in high concentrate form.

Winterizing helps but like said earlier, you are still smoking an oil!

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I was winterizing and then while distilling off the Etoh also stirring out the bubbles (I believe decarbing, but probably just cooking off all the desirable low boiling point desirables). The little dab pen I was using had the coil and got hot enough to boil off the thicker oils. First hit was OK, the next tasted bad and caused coughing.

I have a little white disk one now (same pen, diff heater) that doesn't get near as hot so the thicker oils don't boil off into vapor. I scrape those with a stirring stick to remove them. By not heating too hot they are avoided - mostly. That is where the vapor pressure comes in I think.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
No winterizing rosin though is there. All the cool kids dab rosin on their titanium nail rigs. All the cool kids say they do low temperature for their refined palates. If 300 refers to F you're only vaporizing monoterpenes. I like higher temperatures because I like THC. I want to cough. No lung cancer yet. Maybe the asbestos and silica prevents harm from the wax. If you're using pens the problem from high temperature may not be from the extract.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
No winterizing rosin though is there. All the cool kids dab rosin on their titanium nail rigs. All the cool kids say they do low temperature for their refined palates. If 300 refers to F you're only vaporizing monoterpenes. I like higher temperatures because I like THC. I want to cough. No lung cancer yet. Maybe the asbestos and silica prevents harm from the wax. If you're using pens the problem from high temperature may not be from the extract.

They talked about that. Saying that rosin has all those waxes. And the only way to remove them is using a solvent. Making it lose its solvent free selling point.

Someone posted a question asking Jim if afghans get lipoid pneumonia and similar problems from smoking (non winterizing) hash. He said it's never been studied as far as he knew.

Guessing the THC counteracts and restores any issues caused to the lungs by smoking flower. Cannabis smokers seem to have less rates of lung cancer than non smokers.
Who knows about the effect of all these new concentrates.

M

Mr D

They talked about that. Saying that rosin has all those waxes. And the only way to remove them is using a solvent. Making it lose its solvent free selling point.

Someone posted a question asking Jim if afghans get lipoid pneumonia and similar problems from smoking (non winterizing) hash. He said it's never been studied as far as he knew.

Guessing the THC counteracts and restores any issues caused to the lungs by smoking flower. Cannabis smokers seem to have less rates of lung cancer than non smokers.
Who knows about the effect of all these new concentrates.

I think it's easy to find proof that concentrated terpenes can be harmful even if concentrated THC and CBD are not.

Limonene for example has a warning about pulmonary oedema.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
<Adam Dunn has two episodes with Jim Freir about this.> Mr. Cannared

here is one: https://youtu.be/2xy-wKEUG8s 3:25 hrs long!!

Found it here, amongst some comments that apply directly to what I have been looking at. You may recognize one of the posters.

http://www.*****.com/boards/index.p...compositional-differences-and-health-impacts/

People have been chasing this forever. Bong, Magma, etc... to kill off the thicker components. Another thing that occurs with time and temp is the material changing from green to brown. What plant components are being shed, like chlorophyll?

I watched a PBS show this morning about food safety and a pioneer in that field.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/poison-squad/

It made me think about the creator of this thread, Extract Ninja. That masked man/woman is an unsung hero. It's bad enough fighting thick compounds...

Last edited:

clearheaded

the TRUE argument here is keep your T down. less you smoke the better :) wether you smoke a joint or squish that joint into rosin and smoke that you still are smoking or vaping similar amount of waxes. while I could see perhaps instant volume of waxes be higher in concentrate, although are getting less smoke in concentrates. So to me again the argument is more for smaller more frequent amounts. of course there is a point to concentration/dosage making the poison. hmmm ;)

inhalation is bad, various reasons why. but if need 1/5th of a gram dab to get high maybe its time to slow down so dont get dabber voice.

they say PG kills viruss hmmm lol....

booze based oral spray for full flavor!

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
After getting a hybrid volcano, I have decided the evil gasses coming off was chlorophyll. Plant waxes are no good either, but that wasn't the source of the cough. You will get waxes with rosin, and the rosin doesn't make the cough. Heavy feeling in the lungs maybe, from all the thick sticky compounds.

MindEater

Plant waxes are no good either, but that wasn't the source of the cough. You will get waxes with rosin, and the rosin doesn't make the cough. Heavy feeling in the lungs maybe, from all the thick sticky compounds.

Flavor is no good? Clean lungs and the fact I haven't even had a cold in 20 years (let alone the sinus infections that plagued my youth) is no good?

I would have zero interest in Cannabis if it wasn't for the following 2ndary metabolites which are collectively known as plant waxes: ketones, esters aldehydes, lactones, alcohols, thiols,acids and sugars. They are literally the most medicinal aspect of Cannabis, not terpenes or cannabiboids. Not terpenes, not cannabiboids. The most lemony weed has very little limonene, it's all those evil plant waxes that make the "lemon weed sewer candy" hanging in the closet worth growing. Labs simply won't test for them because they have an agenda to support the prophecied ecig-pharma collabo that's staining people's lungs with terpenes and destroying their blood vessels with unnatural cannabiboid profiles.

Recently completed a grow with liquid organic nutes and it clogged up the grinder with thick white gunk while my dry amended soil has a solvent property that completely cleans the same grinder out. It does the same to the lungs, completely washes them. If youre having problems with heavy lungs maybe you should change your growing method to raise the 'solvent' nature of the resin. Nothing feels better than coughing and snotting up the slime and being able to breath like a vacuum cleaner after that morning hit.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Flavor is no good? Clean lungs and the fact I haven't even had a cold in 20 years (let alone the sinus infections that plagued my youth) is no good?

I would have zero interest in Cannabis if it wasn't for the following 2ndary metabolites which are collectively known as plant waxes: ketones, esters aldehydes, lactones, alcohols, thiols,acids and sugars. They are literally the most medicinal aspect of Cannabis, not terpenes or cannabiboids. Not terpenes, not cannabiboids. The most lemony weed has very little limonene, it's all those evil plant waxes that make the "lemon weed sewer candy" hanging in the closet worth growing. Labs simply won't test for them because they have an agenda to support the prophecied ecig-pharma collabo that's staining people's lungs with terpenes and destroying their blood vessels with unnatural cannabiboid profiles.

Recently completed a grow with liquid organic nutes and it clogged up the grinder with thick white gunk while my dry amended soil has a solvent property that completely cleans the same grinder out. It does the same to the lungs, completely washes them. If youre having problems with heavy lungs maybe you should change your growing method to raise the 'solvent' nature of the resin. Nothing feels better than coughing and snotting up the slime and being able to breath like a vacuum cleaner after that morning hit.

Mindeater, since March I have been using a volcano with a whip, and controlling the temps and time I heat the material. The technique has the terps shedding predominantly, and the cleaning action has my lungs feeling great. the difference between the bag, which the inside of always got sticky, and the whip is amazing. The inside of the whip tube stays clean BTW. I use the "fan" (actually a pump) to help fill my lungs and get that solvent into the places where oils have stuck together.

My grinder also gets sticky, but I clean it with EToh.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
.... then he looked at the 24, 8x10 glossy photographs with the pictures and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one, to be used as evidence against us. And, then he looked at the seein' eye dog. And, it was at that moment that Officer Opie realized that this was a clear case of American blind justice and there wasn't nothin' he could do about it.

True Terps had to pay fifty dollars and pick up the garbage.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Setting aside previous discussions and concerns for a moment, the current underlying issue now as I see it, is that True Terpenes replaced their Viscosity formula that was under FDA/OLCC fire with a new improved salubrious formula, which like the recalled formula, they profess to be on a quality level with mothers milk.

What empirical testing was done on the first formula or this new improved version to demonstrate it is salubrious without long term health effects?

A subset of that question is what liability insurance does TT carry to cover a class action award in the event we have another national episode of lipid pneumonia deaths from vaping?

If insufficient, will the TT corporation simply evaporate and leave the injured to their own or taxpayer resources, while their holding company purchases the assets and miraculously opens the same business under a different name?