What's new

Trouble Ahead for Medical Marijuana in California

vta

Veteran
Trouble Ahead for Medical Marijuana in California

By Alison Stateman, Los Angeles
Source: Time Magazine

medical CA -- California and Los Angeles have been pioneer sites for the expansion of the legal right to use marijuana. But, now, local officials may be at the forefront of curtailing some of that exuberance. If the Los Angeles City Council has its way, the plethora of largely unregulated medical marijuana facilities that have become a neighborhood blight in parts of the city may finally be brought under control. L.A. officials and medical marijuana advocates estimate may there be as many as 1,000. But in a preliminary vote on Tuesday, the council indicated its intention to cap the number of such dispensaries at just 70.

At the same time, the language of the Medical Marijuana Ordinance now being debated is putting dispensaries under increased scrutiny. At the moment, the proposed ordinance would allow the facilities to accept monetary contributions for their services, a way of finessing the stipulation under state law that dispensaries remain essentially non-profits. Currently, all dispensaries stay in business by selling marijuana, a status that City Attorney, Carmen Trutanich and Los Angeles County District Attorney, Steve Cooley believe already violates the non-profit requirement. According to their interpretation, recent court decisions have shown that marijuana collectives cannot sell the drug over the counter for a profit, although members can be reimbursed for the cost of growing it. "Whatever [the L.A. City Council does] come up with, we will study very carefully and if they're proposing anything that is inconsistent with California state law, we will ignore their act and enforce the law as we're sworn to do," Cooley tells TIME.

See pictures of America's cannabis culture. -- http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1899641,00.html

The proliferation of dispensaries has become a nuisance in many parts of the city. Says Jose Huizar, a councilman for District 14, who spearheaded the proposed regulation: "People have been taking advantage of us for too long and we want to strike a balance between providing access to those who truly need medical marijuana and neighborhood concerns." Huizar's constituents complained about decreased quality of life and increased crime in the areas around the dispensaries. "Within a two-and-a-half mile radius and for a population of 40,000 people, we have 13 dispensaries operating, which is just ridiculous," says Michael Larsen, public safety director of the Eagle Rock Neighborhood Council, which is part of Huizar's district. "It's literally the wild, wild West."

See pictures of the great American pot smoke-out. -- http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1892924,00.html

Huizar says he came up the idea of capping the number at 70 by allocating two dispensaries for each of the city's 35 community planning areas — and because he felt that what the cash-strapped city could adequately regulate. The dispensaries that remain, he says, will be charged fees to help cover the expenses. "I thought we need to start as restrictive as possible, get control of this out-of-control situation and then we can start loosening up if we realize there's a greater demand or adjustments we have to make to provide people with access," Huizar says.

Some medical marijuana advocates say placing an arbitrary cap on the number of dispensaries is a faulty way of bringing a problematic situation under control. "It's the prerogative of local government if they want to establish regulations that limit the number of facilities in a city or county. We would prefer that the market, the patient demand, dictate the number of facilities that would exist or that the quality of the operation did," says Kris Hermes, spokesperson for Americans for Safe Access, an advocacy group for prescription pot.

Patient registration in the state is voluntary so it is impossible to get an exact number of how many patients utilize dispensaries. However, Hermes estimates that out of more than 300,000 patients statewide, tens of thousands reside in Los Angeles. "Now is the time to better evaluate what those caps mean. It may mean that demand is concentrated in a few spots in the city and that can create its own set of problems and unintended consequences, perhaps lines out the door or lack of competition creating more of a monoculture. It's important to keep that competition going so that we can supply affordable medicine to patients and give incentives to operators to do their very best in terms of providing services to patients."

Unfortunately, the lack of resolution on the issue continues. The final city council vote on the measure was delayed until next week to consider the impact of a last-minute addition to a provision barring dispensaries from operating within a certain distance of sensitive-use areas. Previously, sensitive-use areas included schools, public parks and places of worship, but the council went on to include private residences in the list and increase the operating distance from 500 to 1,000 feet. Some opponents say that the provision is not viable, and will force law-abiding dispensaries to either relocate to largely remote, industrial areas of the city or shut down altogether. "Council members have to come to their senses and recognize how dramatic this is," says Paul Koretz, city councilman for District 5. If most dispensaries are zoned out of existence, there may be nothing left to adjust if and when L.A. revisits the issue.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Officials with no idea about the reality of life and cannabis make big noises at Los Angeles official gatherings. Film at 11.

When are people going to realize that putting legislation into place on a subject they are ignorant on is detrimental to the progress of society?

70 dispensaries?? ROTFLMAO! So retarded it's unbelievable. Each one of these 'officials' needs to grow a cannabis plant (That a patient would actually consider medicine in quality) before they say one more word on the subject.

Thanks for putting this up.

H

headfortrinity

Only 70 dispensaries in LA? There will be lines going down the block.

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so if any given shop deals with 50 patients a day x 1000 shops = 50,000 patients in 70 shops would equal 714 patients making a daily visit to local dispensary.

i dont pretend to know how many patients LA has or how many frequent dispensaries. Just thinking out loud if they did have 50 people a day. Just doesnt sound like its going to work.

vta

Veteran
so if any given shop deals with 50 patients a day.

Some see that the 1st couple hours. Of the 2 I like the best, there are always a few if not more people in line every time I go. I know that these clubs see a few hundred people a day as it is. 70 is a total joke...how can 70 do the job that a 1,000 are doing? If so...my price better drop, big time.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Some see that the 1st couple hours. Of the 2 I like the best, there are always a few if not more people in line every time I go. I know that these clubs see a few hundred people a day as it is. 70 is a total joke...how can 70 do the job that a 1,000 are doing? If so...my price better drop, big time.

Fewer clubs doing business, I doubt prices will go down. What are you gonna do, drive an hour to the next club and sign up there? Increased demand, increased supply, I think prices will probably remain static or maybe even go up a bit, due to less competition.

johnnyla

Veteran
Only 70 dispensaries in LA? There will be lines going down the block.

Lines just like in 2006 and 2007. Only the lines and wait times will be two or three times as long. Oh well, you wait at least an hour at Rite Aid or CVS for your percocets. Why not cannabis meds?

They are going to love having long lines in front of 70 D's. That's not going to attract attention to every D in LA :p.

H

headfortrinity

Sometimes I think there are a few dispensaries owners that have ties to politics and are helping come up with these rules, they seem to want the club to grow their own on site and offer nothing but buds, I don't think the price is going to change.
Maybe they'll let you call ahead and place your order for pickup, I would prefer mail order though then I could order from rowdy every week.
I'll bet if they did have mail order some stoner would finally invent smell-o-vision, necessity is the mother of invention.

j6p

"No Comment"

"No Comment"

LBPD, DA saying little about search warrants at pot dispensaries

By Tracy Manzer, Staff Writer
Posted: 12/18/2009 06:32:44 PM PST

LONG BEACH - Police and prosecutors remained tight-lipped Friday about a series of search warrants served at local marijuana dispensaries Thursday.

The office of Los Angeles County District Attorney Steve Cooley confirmed Friday it is working with the Long Beach Police Department on an investigation into illegal sales of marijuana at various medical marijuana dispensaries, said spokeswoman Jane Robison.
"Because of the ongoing status of the investigation we can't say anything else at this time," Robison said Friday.
Long Beach police Cmdr. Laura Farinella confirmed for the Press-Telegram on Thursday that the police department's Narcotics Division was working with other officers on the force and the district attorney's office to serve warrants at several locations that had generated numerous complaints from neighbors about illegal, over-the-counter sales of pot.

Police and the prosecutor's office declined Thursday and Friday to identify the locations that were served in what authorities called an "enforcement" operation.
Officials said more information may be made public in the coming week.

Chris Glew, an attorney representing a cooperative located on Fourth Street at Elm Avenue, said he has yet to see any documentation from authorities who served warrants at his clients' business and home, but he insisted the dispensary has always operated within the state's Compassionate Use laws.

Glew, a criminal defense
attorney who specializes in medical marijuana cases, said authorities couldn't have gotten it more wrong when they focused on the Downtown cooperative. "These guys are the Mother Theresa of collectives," Glew said Friday, noting that the cooperative has pooled its resources to not only provide medical marijuana for its indigent members at reduced costs or free, the group has also helped install handicap-accessible ramps and related items in the homes of a number of its more infirm and elderly members.
He and other owners of local clubs - all of whom spoke on condition of anonymity - said officers served warrants not only at the dispensaries but at the homes of the cooperatives' owners and employees.
"They must have used at least 100 cops and for what? To hassle people who are compliant with a law that police or the DA don't like," said the owner of one local medical marijuana dispensary.
Glew made similar points, noting that the district attorney and the police department "appear to be operating under the theory that everything is illegal, they seem to interpret any collective or dispensary is operating against the voter's initiative."
The initiative outlined by Prop. 215 - the compassionate use act that legalized marijuana for California patients suffering from debilitating conditions and disorders - was passed by voters in 1996.
Patients seek permission to use marijuana from doctors under both Prop. 215 and a follow-up 2003 law, which clarified the original proposition and ordered counties to issue identification cards to patients.

Arguments over how to distribute the drug, however, have simmered on national, state and local levels ever since the 1996 vote.
"All this boils down to a pissing match between the city and Cooley," Glew added, referring to the district attorney's warning last month to Los Angeles city officials as they were discussing a marijuana ordinance for dispensaries in their city.

Cooley said in November that over-the-counter sales of cannabis are not allowed by either of the laws pertaining to medical marijuana.
In previous court cases, Glew said, the district attorney's prosecutors have made it clear to him that the district attorney's position is most of the people using medical marijuana are young and don't appear sick or injured in any way.

Glew, however, strongly cautioned against people relying on how someone looks to determine if they are a patient.
"There are plenty of people suffering with MS or HIV and you wouldn't know it to look at them," he said.
As for the charge about complaints regarding local dispensaries, Glew and other dispensary supporters said Thursday was the first time anyone had heard about complaints.

"I'd like to see some kind of record of the calls or letters or whatever they received," said a manager of one of the cooperatives.
Glew countered that if authorities are really concerned about people abusing the prescription identification system they should focus on physicians wrongly issuing the ID cards rather than the cooperatives, who serve all patients.
Glew, who recently won a case for one of the co-owners of the Downtown Long Beach cooperative who was charged in Riverside, added he is confident his clients in Long Beach will be vindicated as well.

"I work with a lot of cooperatives and this place is probably one of the most heavily checked, they verify all the patient's statements and they are in compliance 100 percent," he said. "To even insinuate (illegal over-the-counter sales were being made) is preposterous."

SSLcloner

Best part is there are areas of LA county that barely have decent dispensaries. Seeing how my disability prevents me from being able to drive long distances, the local black market dealer is more reliable/economical than the $70/eighth of "top shelf" (the same kush i get for 60 or less from neighborhood cats).

Only 1 dispensary in the surrounding 10 mile area has clones and they had root aphids. Another forces you to sign a primary caregiver statement which is definitely BS

Jsmoke

Not an expert on La but im from nor cal and we maintain far fewer clubs with populations that are massive, the city of Berkely only has one club and about 100k people. I think, IMO, based on the "patients" i have met from LA, like all the actors are not necessarily ill, not saying its a bad thing but it does create issues for legit patients. Last person from La i met in a club had a recomendation printed on a Golden Ticket like willy fucking wonka. a little outrageous.

PharmaCan

Veteran
Not an expert on La but im from nor cal and we maintain far fewer clubs with populations that are massive, the city of Berkely only has one club and about 100k people. I think, IMO, based on the "patients" i have met from LA, like all the actors are not necessarily ill, not saying its a bad thing but it does create issues for legit patients. Last person from La i met in a club had a recomendation printed on a Golden Ticket like willy fucking wonka. a little outrageous.

It seems you're being elitist about who is "entitled" to mmj and who isn't. It's a fucking plant man - put on this earth by whatever force(s) are responsible for all of us being here. It was put here for the enjoyment of all people, not to be used as a yoke on the freedom of humanity.

The fact that our masters force us to play games to obtain something that shouldn't be regulated in the first place, doesn't mean that we should turn around and use their tactics against ourselves; to include some privileged few and exclude all others.

(..and the fact that we even have masters is our own damn fault for allowing apathy to rule the day for too many generations. But that's another story for another day.)

In any event, you can't compare L.A. to the Bay Area. They are worlds apart in terms of demographics, geography and transportation. Comparing L.A. to Berkeley is comparing apples to oranges.

We're going to see a lot more of this kind of crap as mj edges toward legalization. There's a lot of money involved here and you can bet your bottom dollar that a lot of political contributions and promises of pay-offs are being made right now. There are some people out there trying to get a corner on the market.

PC

tinman

OH,GO FUCK YERSELF UNCLE SAM!!!! i have been smokin pot for forty plus years now and have been growin my own for a while and i aint stoppin cuz THE GOVERNMENT says to! the time has come to take back our country from these greedy bastards and live our own lives! this ol boy WILL NOT CONFORM TO THE GOVERNMENT! ANARCHY IS THE ANSWER!

C

corkushy

can be reimbursed for the cost of growing it.

theres a few outrageous seed companys. why cant they just say they bought a bunch of there seeds and grew them and need to be reimbursed. I found a 10 pack for $1500.00 !!!!

well i guess if they can only be reimbursed then it wouldnt really help to spend more money. or would it?

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
Blaming those who go out and get phony recs for the problems of P215 is precisely analogous to the thinking of prohibitionists that drug users are responsible for the violence in Mexico.

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Ive been to Berkely a bunch of times and they have more then one collective there..Ive been in a few at least in that city.

Latest posts

Latest posts