What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tropical Growing

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great job Bone!!
Look yummy!!
I have some pure PTK fowering right now.
Here are a few rooted cuttings of Chaman´s Red x Gold :D

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The mother of the cuts above^^
I topped her before flowering....I know that Chaman didn´t like such thing at all....but I had my reasons :D

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here are two of my current favourites:
Left:DelMonte no.1 (Charlie loved this herb,me too of course!! :D)
Right:TRC Bluedancer,another breed in the hands of very few ppl.
Both from the same indoor grow :joint:

Chaman

jeje move'n fast my friends, and must say such breath take'n pics too !! thank you so much for take'n time out to post and share....realy does make a thread so much nicer when everyone participates like so.

Agg,
I hope too soon responed with a list of the seeds I'll be sending you, it's a great interest of mine too see how they will do around sea level at an oposite 8-9degrees south of the ecuator as too 8-9 above. I truely hope you and your friends will share you infor here and post some pics often. I'm sure if you love them right, they will be rewarding. Some seeds will be from older stocks please have these started soon, since they will be coming out of the frig, liek along hybernation sorta say jejeje alsmost an ice age ;) so they should pop i beleave but if you leave them out too long they could loose there % faster then the newer seeds.

Please take great care my friend.

Paz,
I too am very happy that Raco took the time to remind me, and tell the rest of us here about some of his work, must say he loves what he does and it shows. But Delmonte jeje yes it's a can veg food i see often around here too but was in great honor of a good Venezolano friend....jejej way out in China ! Hombre Delmonte was his name in OG. Our friend would travle the ins and outs of asian hills sides traveling north and south ! was so increidble to here of his travles and to see the phtos !!! wow, and to think os the risk he would take often to spread these seeds as he would tell us how things are so searched before sending out by custums. He grew indoors in a closet and used the most beautyfull like imitations of old mink vase type contianers jeje was realy nice to see a plant in a container like that instead o the shit black or white,red buckets you see all the time. Hombre Del monte...greatly miss you my friend...such tles would take me along with him almost.

Destryoer X Venezuela jejej e smile'n already !!!! jeje I got some babies
Delmonte X DC or WN also jejeje man it's gona be a great season i'm sure, along wiht many other creations of Raco and other special Spanish friends.

Pato,
Your part o the family...if you didn't show up now and then it wouldnt be the same. Im glad to read in your thread that you still conserve some of my genetics, and made many new crosses with them also ! thats awesome as each time they will be more adecaudo for your enviroment.

Se cuida !! y ojala todo bien con tu novia....si es la misma ya llevas bastante con ella !

Wamen,
Thanks kindly, and please stop by often as you can see these gents here still love to play in the dirt ! jejeje jsuch nice pics, show their hard work and time they take to keep them happy.

Raco !!
Hey very nice indeed ! love the pics and needed the info here for a more proper grow log. Those pics remind me alot of the old thread !!! jeje so glad to see them here !! To think I'll be try'n some Vene #2, Delmonte and others your post soon flips me out....such a long wiat its been, and seeds lost in attempst before had broken my heart, so it's realy a great feeling to have them here.

jeje the cut top....you rooted the top right ? jeje it's just so hard for me too cut a mian cola. It's like the biggest prize of all for me...i'll do all I can too save my main colas even if i got to brake stems tie down and around. When I smoke jeje I even work my way up to it...I'll smoke all the bottom buds first all the branches from bottom to top till i get that mian cola. I normaly won't even smoke that..I'll save it in a box in my reezer with other main tops for special moments as it's a true treasure for me, and to be able to share it with a friend means all the more. Still, she looked very nice Raco ! jeje main new main tops she put out there.

Do you still have many of those cuttings ? I remember one was very florecent, but it would make me most happy when you said they remineded you of the old Colombian you enjoyed even from tast's to highs.

Bone,
very nice, hey bro hope your are enjoy'n that bag indeed, jeje nothing like smoke'n your own. Bone, how far up o your plants is your light, and how many lumens or wats due you have for square foot ?

Looks like a good sat dom flower, the plant seems more hybird.

Wally,
So hey you got a team to help you trim ? jejejeej cuase damn....if it was alot of work to prepare a field like that....it's almost double th time to take to prperly trim and hang...jeje course thats the kinda work we all don't mind too do. Very nice fields, that Duck realy looks like a green mass, not easy to identify unless you realy know. Such a bush, jeje can just imagine all them buds as they form and she changs shape...well I bet in flower she still resembles a more normal cannabis shape.

Do you prefer bush styles ?

I beleave that the white flower postd before only opends un fullmoons and only during a special time of yr off a cactus taht has lika a triangle shape whne cut in half, but are normly segments of a few cm to up too about 30cm or so. along each ridge the got pricks about every incha apart, and grows like a vine. The one your posting is very beautyfull but with thinner pettals and smaller diameter, but i bet has a very lovey and strong sent also. Very nice Wally ! thanks for posting that, would like to get my hands on some of those flowers, I got the one Agg posted...jsut wait'n for it to mature and the right season to sport a few. My San Pedro Cactus also will have some wonderfull flowers some day i hope, so far Only seen Dubi to post a pic of his back in OG.

That last one you got wit hth purple bud, and green leafs, thats been happen'n here too jejeje I bet if i where too sell my stuff...any Northern American would pay more for that purple bud then lets say a clone grown in a warmer inviroment that didn't change color but was the same smoke...jeje some poeple realy go by what they see...Personaly purple red gren blue...it's all good jejej just adds a nice detail to it, but doesn't make it better...if anything i'd think they would have less photo sinthesis and produe less energy and be smaller buds....as they normaly end up be'n alsmost prove'n my thoughs correct....jeje but still love too see a nice purple plant any day ! jjeej here are a few of my cusins in these pics.

Red,
damn, jejej those are looking nicer and nicer by the day ! please keep us posted althought it seems you might be harvesting prety soon.

Plants look heathy, that dark green is lovely and can see some purples in her caliz, so growth slows down alot do to the colder periods and not able to sinthesize as much...heat means burn'n energy, you get hot you metablize more, the colder you get the slower you want to do anything...cold means less heat, less energy so can only imagine the same for plants. O2 can only be taken in by roots in hydros when temps are above 70*F below that it's very dif for roots to pic up O2. I'm think'n....kinda goes agisnt me but might want to try it...it's most important to protect roots in winter say the N. Americans in greenhouses...so hey bro In pet shops you got all sorts of water heaters...the best are submersible, and you can set a temp on it. You set that in the bottom of a res, set the temp to about 75*F and walk away. They got diff watts per diff amounts of gal of water your wish to heat up. the right heater would make sure your res never goes below 75*F means your plants would alot more energetic when the rest would be half her pace. This is a theroy. I bet your plants in your location lower down would do nicer in filling up more. Still very nice work.

Raco,
Ill see about finding Southern Cross's Original letter to me.
he sent me 3 packs.
Red + most oldest.
Yellow +/- old
Green + new.

When I did some homework i saw in the yrs the reds came from, things where almost 100% South East Asian, Thai, and the sort.

Time went by, more trades came and went and surfers too, as did some african gentics, and south american.

last the Holand yrs came....people start to cross everything to Skunks ! jejeje and shit like that I read. So he saved batches from 60-70's Reds. Yellows here 70-80's and greens where the 90's I understood...he is a great grower and does both indoor and out. So I do know he mingled with the indoor gentes much later as the greens wher more short and tight nodes with more hybrid looks and caracteristics. The Yellows still very landrace. The reds....man I must have tried 30...only one was born, but never got past the first pair of cotidons...just stayed there for about a month till i killed it. Only Raco has been able to germ one. Those most be the most pure land races from where Souther later made his crosses to make the yellows I tried...the yellos the fathers of the Greens.

Love how the out door one looks so diff from the indoor florecent colored one.

Much love, cool & calm
Chaman

medjool

Colombian Red X Gold
This is a little of both worlds mixed in one ! jejej as you'll see in these pics coming up.

gracias, now I see.... and raco, your photos are fantastico !!!

:D

mrs m

Chaman

Medjool !!!
Such a treat indeed to come in this morning to find you here ! jeje LOVE IT ! I hope your neighbors tree hasn't been shade'n your green house too bad.

I remember he night I split the seeds with everyone jejejeje man was that some great DC and Stuby from Asis too jejejeje what a great time, was jsut talk'n o Raco about how you introduced me to many people such as Jack Herrer, and his son jeje even bought a pipe there with a cool lizard on the side at thier shop, and then I got a great pic hug'n Ed Rosenthal too, jeje so many more great memories indeed.

I'm soo very honored to have some of your Alibis thanks to Raco, can only wish to give them a good home and what they need for a happy life jejejej to ensure a great harvest ! As its been only great things i've heard about the good Dr Jays work.

Strong hug for you and yours,
Chaman

AGG

Veteran
Hello Tropical Growing friends :wave:

chaman thanks for sharing Your beauties :cool: they will have a good care here in South America :woohoo:

medjool really nice to see You here mrs. love to Your family

peace

AGG

Last edited:

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hola tod@s!!
WoW Chaman!! the thread grows and grows jejejej!!
Here´s the original outdoor Aussie Red...remember when I first posted this pic and some "knowledgeable" ppl said that It was a male most probably jajajajaj!!!! LMAO!!

B

bonecarver_OG

chaman :D - im enjoying the last harvest to the max :D in the pic is a SSH x PTK - and as u have noted its very sat-dominant. 82 days to mature for that particular pheno. big yeilder and a good smoke.

i use at the moment only one 600W light - normally i have it about 1,5 to 2 feet away from the tips.

that red plant is very nice looking :D

medjool - :D

raco - hehe

peace all :D

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
Tropical Drying and Curing

Tropical Drying and Curing

Hello all :D

so i thought that since our tropical climate is different from those of more nothern latitudes, that most information out there about Drying and Curing the harvest, was conditioned by the way people at northern latitudes have to handle their harvests due to the attributes of their climate.

yesterday i got to harvest the two Cali Purples i had flowering, i think i cut them down a little early, but i had to since in one of the plants i noticed the appearence of a white fungus attached to the main stalk. so from that plant i managed to save a few buds. and the other plant gave me two nice big buds. :sasmokin: the buds from the first plant i have drying on top of kitchen paper towels placed upon a cermamic plate. the big buds i tied them up and are hanging upside down in a closet, but i leave the door half open.

today they seem much smaller and dryer, very nice smell and no signs of mold or fungus.

so my question is really how many days do you guys at tropical latitudes leave your buds drying and then how do you proceed to cure them? stash them in glass jars and open and close the lid for afew days?

Thank you all in advance,

much peace.

picture: you can't really see the plants well, but the smaller one to the right is one of the cali purples, with their typical unaclimatized indica tropical; growing style :D

i

Last edited:

PazVerdeRadical

Veteran
ok, managed to take a couple of crappy pics of the harvest, i know it is pitiful, but a start is a start :D thanks again to everyone who ever gave a hand :joint: hopefully more good things will come.

peace and light.

redrider

Hi Paz nice looking plants and a great start. I dry mine upside down for 7 to 10 days and then cut the buds off and put in airtight jars (opening daily for about an hour) for 30 to 60 days.

Nice smooth smoke this way much better then anything you can buy locally.

The coastal green plant was started (from seed) 1210 05 and cut 04 09 06 making her the fastest Colombian I have grown yet.

tropical Drying & curing

tropical Drying & curing

Hi Guys,

i just hang for 3-4 days untill alot of the moisture has gone from the flowers, about 80%.
Then i put in air tight containers or glass jars to extend the drying process under controled conditions and to start the cure.

i simply "turn" the flowers twice a day which exchanges the air in the jar/container, this can be for 10-14 days untill the flowers are fully dry and giving the floral smell.
At this stage once the flowers are dry they are tranfrered to final storage in the correct glass jars and checked every 2 or 3 days.

I must add that if you put the flowers in the "curing" containers or glass jars and they have to much moisture then after 2,3,4 days you will notice the faint smell of Ammonia which is a sign to leave the top off of the container for another day whilst turning 2 -3 times, this evaporates the excess moisture.
Then continue with the cure.
If you have no smell of Ammonia and the flowers feel damp...dont worry as they sweat the moisture to the outside of the flower and this evaporate from there everytime the lid is opened, this also allows the flower to re-hydrate the parts that were dried to quick from the rapid drying in the hot temps.
For me this is hard as i have 38 c in the shade here in Thailand,....as we speak

This might seem a little "much" but with most sativas it is the best way for me to activate the perfumes and oils to give the best flavours, smells and of course the right "buzz, stone, etc".

shit something that has taken 100+ days to flower,...i can wait another few weeks to smoke the properly dry and "Part" cured flowers.

Hope it helps, and please advise if anyone has a more sucessfull method.

And happy new year everyone as today in Thailand is New year eve, and we have the Water festival which last for 2,3,4,5 days....i wil be to stoned and....a little drunk to operate, have fun whilst i'm gone.

Happy toking.

Thai flowers

G

guest123

oh boy u guys hit the nail on the head with the drying curing thing .. depending on the time of year , each can be harsh if you dont knw how to go about it ..
drying in the jungle is very difficult ..
we dry onsite , any other way will ruin t he lovely herb , transporting wet weed in bags is just a no no ...
its not easy to get things to dry in an environment that is so moist with decaying matter and just general dankness ..
we find it best to use a canvas tent ,, large as u can get ,, mine is 18 x 12 ft ..
we light gas elements to assist drying .. it is the only way to do it we find , any other way leaves u with dark green and danky mouldy weed ,, outside of the buds look great , but when u open them up , oh boy , looks like a spider has been spinning webs in there , u will loose all the big buds if you are not carefull ,,
i have lost heaps in learning the method we use , and still loose the occasional bit that is not properly hung , or not warm enough and already started to mould before entering the tent ..
i guess its fair to say that while growing in the tropics is one of the b est things going ,, drying and curing is another thing again .. how do u guys go when its hot ?? boy dont that herb dry off fast ?? hehehe
whats your method to slow it down a little ???

redrider

Hey Wally I bet jungle drying isn't easy. Where I am at it never gets hot and it seems to take my plants over a week to dry hanging. Even then it's still moist but dosn't seem to mold till it finishes drying/curing in the jar.

PazVerdeRadical

Veteran
Hello Mr. Red, Thai and Wally!

tropical climates are pretty strange. where i am the weather changes drastically throughout the day. in the early morning from around 4am to 8am, it can be really chilly, 15 or 10 C degrees.then at midday it can go up to 25-30!!! then at night it goes down again to around 20... humidity changes a lot to. and this is throughout the whole year.
i think i am having some germination problems lately because of all these temp. changes...

the buds are still drying, have dried quite fast too. will keep a close watch on them for sure.

peace and light everyone. and thanks for your info!

redrider

Here is the, what are now purple Colombian and the green one on the left is some of the Santa Marta gold. Its been raining here everyday for the last month and a half but my skunks are growing fine and look like their going to yield a lot more then the Afghani I grew before.

They have a nice floral sent that fills they drying room.

White Skunk 1 female

White Skunk 2 female

Satori 1 sex unknown

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Excellent!!
I DO love this thread!!
redrider:I´ve been lurkin´in your thread,very good!!I think that I forwarded Chaman to it a while ago...then I totally forgot about it´s existence...weird jeje!!
Wally,Thai Flowers,great info,much apprecciated

Latest posts

Latest posts