What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Trimming season in California and how to join

KGB47

"It's just a flesh wound"
Veteran
I just spent 7 hours yesterday trimming with a friend of mine, I might just invest in an auto-trimmer next year....lol

F

Fermented

I would hope they've been vastly improved...

The amount of resin that is destroyed by those machines is sad...but I guess, who cares as they are tossed in plastic bags which removes whatever other external trichomes remain after the auto trimmer does it's job.

The difference in the high between bud that was gently handled with care from the time it was harvested until smoking with a machine trimmed bud that has been bagged and transported is very noticeable. The former will be more potent with a nicer high, the latter will have a duller, less fun high. The resin heads that end up on the mesh and blades of trimming machines and stuck to the insides of plastic bags are the best ones and that is why I would never buy machine mangled bud.

Surely most buyers in California would insist on hand trimmed bud? Does most of that machine trimmed bud go interstate?

X

xavier7995

There lies the problem. Sure people say they want hand trimmed all organic cannabis grown with love and in the best conditions. They also want it for under 100 bucks an ounce and on demand.

F

Fermented

It would be interesting to see a month by month graph of California wholesale cannabis prices for the past 10 years.

CrushnYuba

Trimming just ain't what it used to be. I used to be able to pay people 200$ a lb tohand trim my weed.
The standard quickly became 150$ per lb hand trimmed. I am currently paying only 15$ an hour to buck weed off the stem and 50$ per lb to touch up after its been through the machine.

TruffleButler

The difference in the high between bud that was gently handled with care from the time it was harvested until smoking with a machine trimmed bud that has been bagged and transported is very noticeable. The former will be more potent with a nicer high, the latter will have a duller, less fun high. The resin heads that end up on the mesh and blades of trimming machines and stuck to the insides of plastic bags are the best ones and that is why I would never buy machine mangled bud.

As someone whos done these comparisons side by side, microgram for microgram, as someone who has meticulously seperated leaf calyx and hairs of every cut solely for gaining knowledge, I fully disagree..

The only negatives about machine trimmers are they either cut the tops off calyxes, or leave too much leaf. But most hired hands will do the same anyway. Every other perceived negative is a limitation/flaw in the crop production, likely the use of bottled fertilizers (which seems to parallel with emaciated crumble dust weed which requires a moisture pack to imitate a resinous composition and slow burn. )

As someone who has never considered the use of sterile mediums or bottled fertilizer, trichomes don't simply fall off in my world. Only when i walk into a dispensary is that observed. And the outer ones destroyed are completely negligible with natural, sticky dank. Completely. Microgram for microgram, thermally extracted, the yield data doesn't lie.

Sorry, someone needs to say it. Dispensary grade herb is an epidemic that needs eradicated.. We got people wasting half their bud on bad airflow because the grinder knocks all the trichs out of the pile. Dont blame the fucking grinder. Everyone wants weed that sticks to the bag, not bud that sheds keef. . Claiming anyone wants anything different is just delusion. Grow better. Ditch the bottles.

F

Fermented

Truffle....Are you saying that carefully handled hand trimmed bud gets you as high as machine trimmed bud?

Try checking out both buds under magnification...and while you're at it, use magnification on the plastic bags too. Trimming machines and plastic bags have ripped more resin than thieves, mold and cops combined.

theJointedOne

Veteran
Trimming just ain't what it used to be. I used to be able to pay people 200$ a lb tohand trim my weed.
The standard quickly became 150$ per lb hand trimmed. I am currently paying only 15$ an hour to buck weed off the stem and 50$ per lb to touch up after its been through the machine.

it was actually 200 or more for yeaaaaaaarrrs and just recently did the 150 dip..

dam minimum wage in the cannabis industry black market?

i bet u have some choice workers lol

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
TruffleButler is correct about dispensary grade weed. Spongy crumbly kief shedding bud with perfume smell and a silica or salt pack to keep bud crumbly, or sometimes moist to mimic being sticky. Fancy glass jar, fancy salt pack, fancy label, substandard resin in the bud. Without any other assessment, the packaging costs way more than the product hands down. This is economically concerning. The cannabis, the product being sold, is (arguably) the least expensive item (cheapest) in the transaction.

Trimming is labor intensive just like many other aspects of growing. I don't think people will reasonably manicure each leaf stem out of every bud when a machine can do it faster. Even if you lose 10% trichomes or potency you may process 5-10 times as much per hour.

It is almost like bubble hash in my opinion, how much do you actually see compared to other concentrates? Growers often have a nice supply of bubble hash, outside of that it is usually a rare treat.

CrushnYuba

it was actually 200 or more for yeaaaaaaarrrs and just recently did the 150 dip..

dam minimum wage in the cannabis industry black market?

i bet u have some choice workers lol

Yea. You are right. 200 was the standard for a lonng time. Some people even payed more. I never even heard about anyone doing 150 until a few years ago and even then, allot of other properties did 200.
Yea, i have had Some "choice workers" even when i was paying 200. Haha.
It's really not bad pay for them. This it's how we came up with It. 15 an hour sucks. It's purposeful. Otherwise those "choice workers" will milk that shit. Paying them terribly insures that they do It fast and want to move on. 50$ to touch up a lb of tops after It goes through the machine is good. A slow trimmer can do It in an hour. They should be able to buck a lb in 20-30 min at most. They should be making about 40$ an hour. If they begin to work on smaller buds or strains that don't go through the machine well, the pay scale needs to be adjusted.

Sunshineinabag

Ive hung tobacco for 12 years without bitching about how tedious and nasty that chit can be, and I hate the tobacco plant! Just imagine what I could do with a plant I adore.....I refuse to work in California but the pay seems great for the right candidate .....I loved bads explanation in the thread previously lmao!

madalasatori

Veteran
I don’t think I can think of a worse job than trimming weed for a living. It confuses me a bit that I can love the plant so much yet hate trimming it so much

DavideRF

I don’t think I can think of a worse job than trimming weed for a living. It confuses me a bit that I can love the plant so much yet hate trimming it so much

i never done it for all day, but if i can make 6000$ per month i could live the rest of the year with 12000$. 2 month of bad work for a free life for 10 month in a year? Where to sign?

White Beard

I know someone with a seasonal trim job, he says in 2 months he makes ~20k...totally not interested in taking me along. Would love to have a job on a weed farm, never been afraid of hard work (although the closer to 70 I get, the less hireable I seem to be)

Would totally cover my ‘farming’ the rest of the year....

Sunshineinabag

Practice makes perfect .......just don't use the same hand too too much ....can't be getting carpal tunnel kiddos! Let me find out I can sit trim flowers and not have to worry about rent money!

Icefire

Not true

Not true

I know someone with a seasonal trim job, he says in 2 months he makes ~20k...totally not interested in taking me along. Would love to have a job on a weed farm, never been afraid of hard work (although the closer to 70 I get, the less hireable I seem to be)

Would totally cover my ‘farming’ the rest of the year....

Your friend is lying. I've lived here in Humboldt county since 1979. Trimmers used to make $200 per lb. But the market has collapsed. Growers only get $200-$700 a lb.now here. They aren't gonna pay someone half the price of the weed to trim it. No one should " just show up" here if you dont have a trimming job lined up in advance. The streets of Garberville and Willow Creek fill up with starving wanna be trimmers from all over the world here. Most have to go back to the cities of Eureka or Arcata to get food at homeless shelters. And there is the dark side here. Over 35 missing women and girls here in the last 10 years. Most were trimmers or working on grows. And random body oarts found in Humboldt bay or out on Hwy. 36. It's not all 'peace and love's here anymore. It's grows run by Bulgarian mafia and Mexican cartels...if you absolutely have to cone here look at legal trimming jobs thru craigslist Humboldt or a hiring company like Dark staffing to fing a legal trimming job. Since weed got legal everything changed here. And not for the best..

Latest posts

Latest posts