What's new

Trimming my crop with the Twister Trimming Machine

GrnAlien

hl,

how much do you think this sealer will run? I believe the term for the Nitro injection is 'gas flushing' and typically these machines are quite spendy! :joint:

Old Stoner

Hi humboltlocal & everyone else too,

Just wanted to pop in real quick to say thank you humbolt
for one of the latest tips you shared. You were right again,
that olive oil spray makes a big difference. Thanks!

We've been real busy here but thankfully we were able to finally
put a small crew together (other than my wife & myself).
Everyone helping us is in awe of the Twister. Good working
vibes makes all the difference in the world though. God Bless
them all and of coarse "MY TWISTER"

Skoosh

humboldtlocal:
Very interesting thread, thank you.
So... in a perfect world with 100# how many folks would you employ, and for how long? (remember: keyword 'in a PERFECT world')
Please spell it out, eg: 2 people leafing w/ trim pro's, 6 people bucking, 1 (or2) person(s) feeding, & 1 collecting, and maybe a runner or two filling in where needed.
Also, what specifically would you attribute the difference in trim quality between this, and say a centurion?
suction?
blade tolerance (proximity of bud to blade)
To me it looks like this is definitely an acceptable trim, and @ $200 per finished # break even is 75# ...Probably closer to 200# taking into account the labor force needed to keep this thing humming along.
Do you pay your labor hourly with something like this?
Yes, as was already pointed out in this thread, the tobacco industry is where to look for slow drying hints/tips.
I've never stored in turkey bags, so I don't know about the browning that was pointed out, but vacuum sealing is definitely the way to go for longer term storage.
I'd be interested to see how much of a difference injecting nitrogen makes versus just vacuum sealing.
Also, make sure to give the heat seal bar on your sealer time to rest/cool off periodically for longer life.
Excellent thread, looks like you've got it goin' on brother.
Sk
;-)_~~
P.S.
Just call the olive oil 'food grade WD40!'

A

Amstel Light

humboldtlocal:

I'd be interested to see how much of a difference injecting nitrogen makes versus just vacuum sealing.

Just call the olive oil 'food grade WD40!'

every time you open a bag of potato chips you experience MAP..it's an inert gas..as long as light is kept out(hence the metalic bags) it will smell and taste like it was cured yesterrday ..

tonelab77

First of all, much props goes out to Humboldtlocal! Amazing stuff man! I am going to buy a Twister from a new retailer in SoCal. I called trimscene but the nice lady told me that they were just working on freight shipping and couldn't ship to me. On a side not, she told me the story about the dozen roses. Pretty awesome!

Anyhow, I had a few of questions and was hoping that you could answer them for me.

1) Where do you spray the olive oil?

2) Do you need to pressure wash every 3 hours because of the dust/dirt on the plants from being outdoors, or is it from resin, or a combo of both? I grow indoors. Do you think it would need to be cleaned that often, considering there's no dust or dirt?

3) This one is about the nitro flush bagger/sealer. Who makes it? How much does it cost? And, where can I get one?

Thanks in advance Humboldtlocal! Keep up the good fight! Your garden looks amazing!

Proteus

I was not able to get a twister this year as they were sold out, ended up purchasing a samurai/tumbleweed instead. I bought it from TrimScene Solutions in Redway.

This machine was a piece of shit from the start.
It came assembled incorrectly, and took some serious evaluating before we could figure out what the problem was. we had to remount a plate as it was factory mounted backwards.

the 9amp 220v vaccume was recalled, and we have yet to get a replacement. Huge clak clak sounds coming from the vaccume from time to time, wondering if it's going to hold out??? Was told they have been blowing up and billowing black smoke.

The machine was only doing 10 lbs a day with 13 people, and doing a "bang up" job at that. The machine was backed up all day long, and our hopper was totally full, feeding as fast as we could stomache. The only way to get the "claimed" speeds of 5-10lbs/hour is to really PUSH your bud through as fast as possible, feed it feed it feed it and push that bud out. When you do this, the bud doesn't get trimmed, it just gets shaved and comes out looking like something that will have to be gone over later to fix it. There is no way anyone on the end of this machine doing QC can keep up with 5/lbs an our clipping out crows feet or untrimmed buds. I was on the end of the machine all day long for 10 days, and consider myself to be a jedi master trimmer.
The faster you feed it, the more QC you will have to do. The more time the buds are in the barrel, the better chance your buds will actually get trimmed, and not need to be retouched. What the F is the point of trimming 10lbs an hour when you're going to have to go over every nug again and make sure it doesn't look like hell? The only advantage of this speed is to "get the plants out of the yard as fast as possible" as I like to call it.

We could have done it faster and better by hand, and i would have had a better product commanding a higher dollar. These uniformly round machined leafy nuggets just don't do it for me, or any of my buyers. Taking 500-700$ less a pound this year thanks to this machine.

All in all this whole experience for $14,000 was a total bust and has rocked my faith in any such machine. I cannot believe the Twister is going to be night/day difference as I was told. Humboldt Local's pics are true to the Samurai's, the buds come out shaved, but not trimmed to my standards, I work with med clubs as well.

If you are living in california and trying to get top dollar for your bud that you are proud of, these machines will not do that for you. Quality will suffer in these machines, and the smell of the bags will be a bit adulterated. All my bags have a slightly less fragrant smell and more of a chlorophyl/grass smell as opposed to the lbs that we handtrimmed.

If you have hundreds of lbs to trim (Humboldtlocal style) this machine will make it possible, where it would be impossible without one. The acclaimed "fire all your trimmers" is bullshit. You will still need a crew of 9-12 people to really keep this thing well fed, unless you have ALL jedi masters on your team... but that is never the case. there are always those trimmers that just suck, but they are your friends so you want to give them the work... just hoping they will get faster, smarter, better... but they don't :)

I realize this is a bit scathing, but this is a review of the TumbleWeed/Samurai which is distributed/(manufactured?) by Advanced Nutrients. I have come to expect nothing but bullshit from this company over the years, and had I known this was an AN machine, I would have just stepped back, held my breath, and waited for a twister. J at trimscene solutions is a standup guy and I would do business with him again(with a discount!!! ;). he told us from the start that this machine was a POS. But I would tell J in the future, (and he knows this too) not to sell anyone this machine, becuase all it's going to do is SOIL a customer on a bad machine, and rock thier faith in mechanized trimming.

all that said, I will probably buy a twister, becuase I just have to know if it gets better than this... pics someday, my camera is broken, and so is my back.

PS. I had a trimmer cut the tip of his finger off on a trimpro this year doing the bigleaf.
I/we fucked up pretty bad there, beware the trimpro.

H

humboldtlocal

I called trimscene but the nice lady told me that they were just working on freight shipping and couldn't ship to me. On a side not, she told me the story about the dozen roses. Pretty awesome!

Anyhow, I had a few of questions and was hoping that you could answer them for me.

1) Where do you spray the olive oil?

2) Do you need to pressure wash every 3 hours because of the dust/dirt on the plants from being outdoors, or is it from resin, or a combo of both? I grow indoors. Do you think it would need to be cleaned that often, considering there's no dust or dirt?

3) This one is about the nitro flush bagger/sealer. Who makes it? How much does it cost? And, where can I get one?

1) Spray the bed knife, rotary blades and brush.
2) You will be spraying resin build up off with the washer. We spray every two hours, sometimes 1.5 if a really resinous strain. With indoor you will probably be in the 1.5 hour range. Unless your stuff has no resin.;) When we trim wet buds from the rain we can go around four hours between cleanings.
3) The sealer is around 4k. Trim Scene is the dealer around here and can answer all your questions. They should have their shipping together by now. I will give them a call and ask. The manufacturer used to drop ship them to customers for Trim Scene but they just stopped offering that option. That's probably why they told you they didn't have it together yet.

zenoonez

Veteran
I don't know, humboldtlocal's buds look pretty tight to me but then again I am used to press packaged bud in my non med state. I will say though that I don't mind the little leafyness or the round shaved look that are in humboldtlocal's pics.

H

humboldtlocal

I was not able to get a twister this year as they were sold out, ended up purchasing a samurai/tumbleweed instead. I bought it from TrimScene Solutions in Redway.

This machine was a piece of shit from the start.
It came assembled incorrectly, and took some serious evaluating before we could figure out what the problem was. we had to remount a plate as it was factory mounted backwards.

the 9amp 220v vaccume was recalled, and we have yet to get a replacement. Huge clak clak sounds coming from the vaccume from time to time, wondering if it's going to hold out??? Was told they have been blowing up and billowing black smoke.

The machine was only doing 10 lbs a day with 13 people, and doing a "bang up" job at that. The machine was backed up all day long, and our hopper was totally full, feeding as fast as we could stomache. The only way to get the "claimed" speeds of 5-10lbs/hour is to really PUSH your bud through as fast as possible, feed it feed it feed it and push that bud out. When you do this, the bud doesn't get trimmed, it just gets shaved and comes out looking like something that will have to be gone over later to fix it. There is no way anyone on the end of this machine doing QC can keep up with 5/lbs an our clipping out crows feet or untrimmed buds. I was on the end of the machine all day long for 10 days, and consider myself to be a jedi master trimmer.
The faster you feed it, the more QC you will have to do. The more time the buds are in the barrel, the better chance your buds will actually get trimmed, and not need to be retouched. What the F is the point of trimming 10lbs an hour when you're going to have to go over every nug again and make sure it doesn't look like hell? The only advantage of this speed is to "get the plants out of the yard as fast as possible" as I like to call it.

We could have done it faster and better by hand, and i would have had a better product commanding a higher dollar. These uniformly round machined leafy nuggets just don't do it for me, or any of my buyers. Taking 500-700$ less a pound this year thanks to this machine.

All in all this whole experience for $14,000 was a total bust and has rocked my faith in any such machine. I cannot believe the Twister is going to be night/day difference as I was told. Humboldt Local's pics are true to the Samurai's, the buds come out shaved, but not trimmed to my standards, I work with med clubs as well.

If you are living in california and trying to get top dollar for your bud that you are proud of, these machines will not do that for you. Quality will suffer in these machines, and the smell of the bags will be a bit adulterated. All my bags have a slightly less fragrant smell and more of a chlorophyl/grass smell as opposed to the lbs that we handtrimmed.

If you have hundreds of lbs to trim (Humboldtlocal style) this machine will make it possible, where it would be impossible without one. The acclaimed "fire all your trimmers" is bullshit. You will still need a crew of 9-12 people to really keep this thing well fed, unless you have ALL jedi masters on your team... but that is never the case. there are always those trimmers that just suck, but they are your friends so you want to give them the work... just hoping they will get faster, smarter, better... but they don't :)

I realize this is a bit scathing, but this is a review of the TumbleWeed/Samurai which is distributed/(manufactured?) by Advanced Nutrients. I have come to expect nothing but bullshit from this company over the years, and had I known this was an AN machine, I would have just stepped back, held my breath, and waited for a twister. J at trimscene solutions is a standup guy and I would do business with him again(with a discount!!! ;). he told us from the start that this machine was a POS. But I would tell J in the future, (and he knows this too) not to sell anyone this machine, becuase all it's going to do is SOIL a customer on a bad machine, and rock thier faith in mechanized trimming.

all that said, I will probably buy a twister, becuase I just have to know if it gets better than this... pics someday, my camera is broken, and so is my back.

PS. I had a trimmer cut the tip of his finger off on a trimpro this year doing the bigleaf.
I/we fucked up pretty bad there, beware the trimpro.

I am very sorry to hear about your lousy experience with the Tumbelweed. I have many thoughts on your situation and I will address them one at a time.
First off I am not surprised your machine was put together improperly. They make those machines in fifty machine batches so the quality control is pretty poor. I had the original green vacuum that they are now sending out to replace the black ones that are blowing up. Advanced Nutrients has done a horrible job distributing the Tumbleweed and Trim Scene has just stopped selling their products. Including the Trim Reaper. I talked to J and he said they are still waiting for the replacement green vacuumm's they ordered three weeks ago. He said they should be in tommorow but AN has been telling them that for weeks. The clak clak noise is stems getting sucked into the vac and that is a normal sound. Did you have a vac blow up?
I did not get to use my Tumbleweed for a fall harvest. Just some smaller indoor and light dep harvests. But I think you should be doing way more than 10 per day with 13 people. With the Twister we have done 40lb days with 15 people and that is with one on the trimpro and one harvesting full time. That was during the rain so the machine can go longer between cleanings. You should be able to do at least two to three times what a hand crew would do. At least with the Twister. We don't even do QC when it comes out we just put some people on dry bud clean up every day. Some strains need it more than others. My Bubba needed a lot but my OG hardly needs any. You should make sure your buckers are pulling the buds off by hand and only using scissors to cut off the biggest buds that they can't rip off. It is much slower to use scissors. Most of my crew is completely inexperienced and they are flying through it. With 12-13 buckers we are keeping the perfect pace with the machine. The Twister tumbler gets closer to the blades than on the Tumblweed so I know I am getting a tighter trim. I think a dull or mis-adjusted blade could be contributing to your grass smell. If the leaf isn't getting chopped cleanly that might make the grass smell as well. Is your tumbler as close to the blades as you can get it? Are you sharpening your blade regularly? Are you keeping your machine clean and adjusted? We pressure wash ours every two hours or we notice a considerable difference in the quality. How are you drying the buds? Drying to fast and bagging up too dry can cause that smell as well. Are you using the racks that trim scene sells?
My buds do not come out looking shaved at all. My collective said it is some of the best looking trim work and buds they have ever seen. My buds look round and uniform because I grow in the full sun and grow strains that come out rock hard. I also break all of the big buds down to smaller size because that is what the collective wants. Most of my biggest buds are over 8 inches long before we break them down. I think your buyers took major advantage of you. We go over everything when it is dry to make sure it looks absolutely perfect. I don't want to defend the Tumbleweed because I know it sucks compared to the Twister but I don't think it is fair to judge all trimming machines based on your Tumbleweed experience. Put that trimmer on Craigslist and get a Twister. It is worth it. I lost a lot of money selling my Tumbleweed to get a Twister but I am going to save so much money and time with my machines. I would be trimming into the new year with the same size crew I have, if doing it without the machine. We will be done first week of November instead.
We also had a worker get nicked by the Trimpro. He was not wearing gloves. Now they are mandatory. I hope your guy is okay. If you have any questions about getting better performance from you machine or if you have questions about the Twister shoot me a PM. I am happy to help. There are other Twister users on here that rave about it and there are also some Tumbleweed users that hate their machines. I was lucky to not have to tackle my project with the Tumbleweed.

Proteus

really, that trimpro accident was the worst of all. I feel terrible about that.
He plays good guitar too.

we did everything properly man, micro blade adjustments till it is just barely touching the bottom of the barrel. cleaned it every 4 hours... once at lunchtime, and once at the end of a workday. The end day cleanup was a complete breakdown, dissassemble, wd40 soak, and pressure wash in the morning. I really hated having to cover the electrical pannle before pressure washing, it became a major PITA. lots of debris would collect down there and ain t shit you can do about it but brush it off by hand.

we did use the racks from TSS, rotated them often, and dried not too quickly.. 3-4 days on racks/screens, 7-10 days in open cardboard boxes, then baggggg em up.

buckers were working very well, outpacing the machine by a longshot. the main problem came as I was feeding the machine just fast enough so that nugs were getting trimmed properly. 1 nug per second, or a handful of popcorn per second. Its the main reason we went slow, I was trying to keep quality at the highest levels possible.

In talking with other friends with their tumbleweeds, they all admit to "pushing it through" as fast as possible, doing 20lbs/day on average. thats still not 5lbs an hour, however. I did notice the first few hours we ran the machine we were doing jumpingjacks, the quality of the trim was amazing, and we thought all our troubbles were over... somehow it lost it's factory machined sharpened blades and we can't seem to get it back to that state.

Definatly going to Clist it and get a twister, as I still feel these machines have their place in an outdoor garden, if only to secure the crop and get the plants out of the yard on time, before the storms. Your reviews were very essential in making this decision, I'm glad I did, lessons learned, and I'm sure next year will see some improvements...

now about these "rock hard" strains you grow.... hmmmmm ;)

H

humboldtlocal

Bummer about that finger. I have a couple more questions and observations. The blades should not be touching the bottom of the barrel. That will dull the blades and bend your barrel out of shape. The blades and bedknife on the Tumbleweed are not supposed to touch each other at all. They are supposed to be a hair apart. The blades and bed knife on the Twister are supposed to touch, that is what keeps them self sharpening. After several days of use, you are supposed to remove the bed knife on the Tumbleweed to scrape resin build up off and sharpen.
I also think that pressure washing every four hours is not often enough. Our machine is so gummed up after two hours that you can hardly spin the blades by hand and it must really put a huge stress on the motor. When the blades get covered in resin the trim quality goes way down. With our sour Diesel we have to pressure wash every 1.5 hours. There is no way we could go four hours between cleaning.
As far as feeding the machine. Have you looked at my videos? The way my machines are being fed in those videos is about a 3-4 lb per hour pace.
What was the purpose of the 7-10 days of the bud being in cardboard boxes? I have never heard of that technique. After our buds got dry on the racks (4-7 days) they went straight into oven bags that got watched closely and open and closed over the next few days till the bud was perfectly dry. I would think that them sitting in cardboard boxes could really decrease the smell and look of your buds.
I hope you do get a Twister. I think you would be very pleased. It is a night and day difference. I think after dealing with all of the BS of the Tumbleweed you will be able to appreciate it all the more. I think the Tumbleweed is okay when properly maintained and set up but it is a pain in the ass and when it is harvest time you don't have time to be messing with a machine that is not cutting the mustard. The Twisters have been so easy to run and maintain but we do have to clean them on time and keep the blades adjusted properly or the quality goes down. It is so much easier to clean and adjust than the Tumbleweed. Not to sound sexist but I have had several ladies running, adjusting and cleaning my machines and they have the process down no problem. That did sound sexist didn't it. sorry.:joint:

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
IM GOING TO BE PICKING UP A TRIM REAPER, GOOGLE IT.. SHIT IS SICKK DOES LIKE QP PER LOAD TAKES ABOUT 5 MINUTES PER LOAD SO LIKE 3LBS PER HOUR DOES A GREAT JOB AT LEAST FROM WHAT I SAW ON THE VIDEO.

H

humboldtlocal

The Reaper does about a pound per hour. It still needs some clean up after it comes out but it is pretty handy. Trim scene has sold a ton of them but they are not selling them anymore because it is such a pain in the ass to deal with Advanced Nutrients. The Reaper is made by the Same company that makes the Tumbleweed/Samurai so the build quality is not so hot. You should look into the Spinpro Powermatic. Same style but better built. The Reapers also have a terrible smell to them so wash it really good before cleaning it. There are some threads on here about the Reaper so look around.

VanXant

Well heres my review, having used the Tumbleweed(w/ green vaccuum): I hope humboldtlocal doesnt mind this in his Twister thread.

Before I start, I need to thank humboldtlocal for all his personal insights on this new way to harvest. Thank You man. ;)

At first, like everybody, we saw the pics from humboldt local and thought holy SHITT! this was going to be the greatest thing in the entire world! But once we used it, some other things came to light..

First, we bucked it like on all the videos. With scissors, sometimes without scissors,etc...Petioles were CUT ALL THE WAY BACK. (No Trim-pro
here.) It worked with no hand cleanup. Then, we decided to try and run it un-bucked,.... buds, leaves, petioles and all, which caused a severe hay/grass smell to the buds, and also required a second process of hand-cleanup. DONT do that.
But wow, for a day or so, that was the DREAM COME TRUE, going right from the live plant to bucking it right into the hopper, leaves and all...until it dried and revealed its true self.

This is very important!
NOBODY -including humboldtlocal- seems to be addressing the petioles(which become 'crowsfeet' on dry buds), which must be cut back eventually. Humboldt's buds have the petioles cut COMPLETELY OUT, BY HAND. You cannot see ANY petiole on humboldt's buds, so somebody has cut them out by hand. NO machine is going to do that. The machines have no way to get up behind the flower to cut the petiole back FLUSH and make it look 'clean' like that.
If you do not cut these out BEFORE you run them through the machines, the dry buds look 'stemmy', and in most 'commercial' settings will need some hand-cleanup. I also think that simply trimming them off to the edge of the buds, -leaving some of the fan still attached-, would cause too much plant sap to be released into the tumbling operation, causing hay/grass smells at finish.

We ran the machine with the factory adjustments and were satisfied with the overall trim job. When wet, our Oregon buds look almost like humboldts buds(very rounded off,uniform), and dry they actually look hand-done, with a bit more leaf than humboldt's pictures. Patients in Oregon do not bitch about a little sugar leaf.

We powerwashed the machine 3 times in 3 weeks. 70lbs dry. We didnt notice great differences in the trimjob so much as the trimmer got loud when it needed the resin blown off. Powerwashing was a bit of a hassle, but once you knew what you were doing to get the bolts out, it wasnt bad. The whole process took me about 20-30 minutes.

A crew of 3, sometimes 4 could only run about 3-4 dry lbs/day through. This is consistent with Proteus' findings.We could not keep the cylinder full with 3-4 people bucking, though. The machine was often spinning away with nothing being loaded into the front end. And it was fairly LOUD.(even with the vac in another room). So we would buck up a pile on the
processing table(Tumbleweed only, a very nice feature), and start the machine and run it in spurts, then shut it off until we had another good load for it.

I would like to hear if there are better ways, outside of just using more people.

As far as quality, I think the bud will pass muster, it wasnt damaged too bad from the machine, but Im sure it did more harm than hand-trimming does. I really cant accept the idea that no trichomes are affected by the machine, since there was a deep rim of kif on the vaccuum bag lip, and 'veins of gold' kif in the bag to counter that, but I also think a little trichome loss is part of the inherent losses that come with a machine like this.

Overall, it didnt ruin any bud, but it does remove some trichomes. The trim in the vaccuum bag, according to our patients, is VERY STRONG and is perfectly processed for making medibles.

I concur with many of Proteus' findings. But I am not sure we could be done with it as fast....

The machine didnt help us get it "out of the yard" any faster. In fact, it took a little longer than our old way of big-leafing it at harvest and hanging it. However, once you run the flowers through a machine, it's DONE. This was never the case with hang-dryed buds. We always had to re-touch ALL the buds a second time when hang-drying.

The machine -FOR US- basically took a 10-12 week job and made it a 3 week job.

We made 2 racks out of screen doors(10 doors total) from home depot to dry. Worked very well. Drying time on screens was only slightly faster than doing it the old way.

I also am not ready to believe that buying a Twister is going to change harvest that much. They are basically the same machines. They operate on the same principles, they look like they have many of the same exact parts..and the Tumbleweed does the job of trimming it. Humboldt? are you getting a free machine or 2 from your buddies, for pushing
the Twister? lol ;);) I think they all do the same thing, but Im going to wait for Proteus or someone else to buy 'the OTHER over-priced trimmer' to see.

Im kind of on the fence on whether it was worth it or not. I mean, sure Im not trimming today.....but it was alot of money. I really dont like long days of trimming, so...maybe it was worth doing..haha

hope this helped.

D

DHF

HL.......I got in a semi-altercation at another site about you praising and calling the tumbleweed the best thing since sliced bread and would keep all the homeless trimmers outta your community on Youtube and he quoted the post from youtube.............

I remember you saying last week Humboldt Local on YouTube isn`t you ...........Could you please tell me if I`m insane or did you say you were HumboldtCountyLocal there ?..........

I made a post how well the twister did on your Bubba nugs and was laughed at .........Just tryin ta figure out how you`re supposedta be spammin with all those different locations you made posts on with all those monster plants I was in awe of.........

Their post was I wonder what HumboldtLocal will be sellin/spammin for 2010 on trimmin machines........Pissed me off but I held my tongue to a certain degree.........

I`m `ol fart and know better but hope early Alzheimer`s onset`s not involved cuz I was way impressed and still am......

Peace......DHF.....:joint:.......

Proteus

VanXant,

seems we both agree on most everything. was trying not to be too scathing, but the truth hurts sometimes.

I too am on the fence about weather the investment was worth it. Sure I am done earlier, but the loss of quality will cost me... so any "savings" will probably even out. Again though, if you plan on cropping over 100lbs, or 300, or 500lbs you cannot possibly trim that much weed with any sized crew (40 people? maybe?) before you lose your crop to the fall weather and budrot. in these scenarios this machine is an Archangle from heaven.

I did remove the bedknife and degunked it twice, I was told not to sharpen the blades unless 70 operating hours have passed... those were my repeated instructions. We did sharpen the blade but could not tell if it did fuckall, results were the same. even after a 2 hour cleanup where I literally got out Qtips to clean every fucking piece of this machine, sharpened the blade, etc... could not get it back to operating like it did when it came to us. The first few hours we ran the machine on some indoor nugs was like a dream come true... flawless trim job, leaving smell, resin, look, size, feel all intact. How do we get that back? Answer that and we are on to something.

on "getting the plants out of the yard" I also agree, come to think of it.
We cut down 40lbs in about 5 hours the old way, branching the plants down, big leafing by hand, and hanging them wet on lines. There is no faster way to secure your crop than to cut, hang, and trim them dry at your leisure, paying 200$/lb is fair market value. This way also ensures a proper slow dry, cure on the vine, and a hand trimmed quality look to the buds. There is no better way to trim marijuana.

We also found it necessary to train all buckers to remove crows feet with scissors before they went through the machine, or esle I would have to do that job on the other side. This is another thing that slowed down the buckers. But again, my problem was not with my buckers, they were always way ahead of the machine if I wanted them to be. IF I have to retouch bud that goes through this machine, then the time that takes must be included in the calculations of lbs/day or lbs/week. whatever metric you want to use, all work preformed on finishing the trim job must be included. Most often I did not do any retouching, because we ran it slow enough that the bud did get trimmed to satisfactory levels... in scenarios where we ran it fast and touchups needed to be done.... I simply didn't do it as there are millions of other tasks to do at harvest time.

Its very easy to mess up with nugs on screens or on racks, drying too quickly, losing smell/cure, etc. There is virtually zero time for buds to cure when bucking them into a machine, there is a lot of chemistry still ongoing when plants are severed from their life systems. Breakdown of volitile compounds, chlorophyl, etc. Tobacco is green when cut, and cured to brown over several weeks (months?) hanging in climate controlled barns.

Curing is definatly an art, we would all do well to learn from the tobacco farmers. (thx madrus)

And Like I did say, I can't see that the twister is going to be night/day different. I do know some friends who ended up with one, perhaps we will do a swap and compare notes before I buy yet another $14,000 machine. All these machines are built on the same model, the Centurian, which was released in 2000, 2001 there abouts. Agree that they look identical if only the visual differences are more easy to access parts, and easier cleaning. If cleaning is so so essential, then this is a big deal. But like you VanXant, I know a friend who didnt clean the machine in 3 days of operating it and said the same things... all you gotta do is listen for a noise and then it's time to clean. He too did about 12-15lbs in a day.

I'm damn positive that last year my 8 man crew hand trimming wet bud from the yard was doing 10-12 lbs a day. So why am I banging up my bud, hiring more people, droping 14grand, and having to deal with one noisy beast for the same production?? shit, that's a good question.

Anyone claiming these things can do 10+lbs an hour is simply lying. Top reported speeds on this forum, and from friends of mine is 5lbs an hour, or 40lbs a day as humboldtlocal says. I could see doing more, with a larger crew and adjusting the barrel to a negative level to really get the bud flowing through it fast ("canadian style").

Would love to see what butte has to say about his twister/samurai as well.

good chatting with you all and good to iron out all of our experiences.

D

DHF

Dewd.......You needta adjust your dosage cuz the ONLY thing I made a post about in sunshine`s thread was how impressive the Bubba nugs looked comin outta the twister , then you came back with a quote from youtube sayin HL was spammin the tumbleweed when all I read here was that he didn`t care for it and lost a buncha money gettin rid of it in favor of the twister after seeing results.................

I mean after all.........You`re the pot snob that called my post out like I was outta line by talking about HL`s excellent job......

I even apologized to your nuthin ass after him saying the Bubba`s needed a finish up but all this horseshit you`re bringing into the mix about misinformation is just that.........Horseshit...........I never bashed the Tumbleweed and as far as East Coast growers not knowing shit well that`s another thread.......You wouldn`t wanna come over here and say that in person.........

You`ve got way too much time on your hands if all you`re looking ta do is bash HL`s expertise and personal experience on the twister and on top of it all ta say what`s he gonna be spammin next year ?.........

No one EVER said ANYTHING bout what size buds go through the machine in MY posts so again I`d liketa kindly ask you ta keep me outta your bullshit EGO based posts about the twister not living up to YOUR expectations........Shit looked killer to me and that`s what I BASED my post on at CareBear OK ?........nothing else other than HL saying he was NOT Humboldt Local on youtube and the FUCKING quote you posted was FROM youtube so eat me..........

Get a grip GA.......You threw this shit at me............This ain`t CareBear and I ASSURE you you`re not talkin to a Kid......You`ve gotta be too young or else your ego wouldn`t be so big........

My post was verbatim from what I read and saw.........nothing else.........

Grow up and get over it............I think the twister`s the shit from what I`ve seen but it looks like there`s several complaints on said machine here in the last couple days........

Sounds like a personal problem ta me.............Operator error possibly but I`m only sayin that it looks like it worked for HL and I`ve never even said Hello to the guy much less worry bout you wondering what he`s gonna spam in 2010.......

BTW.........One HELLUVA job HL and MAJOR RESPECT from all I`ve seen.....Sounds and looks like Jealousy`s rearing it`s ugly head.......Blue Berry.......You be strong.....LMFAO......

DHF...........:joint:

Latest posts

Latest posts