What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Trichome Color Checking?

hamstring

Veteran
Ok this may cause myself some grief but how are you guys checking trichome color? I have been using a USB microscope but I have to trim a small piece of bud each time.

So after asking around and looking around I bought one of the small hand held magnify glasses so i could check my buds without cutting a piece off. Well I thinks its a POS. There is no way in hell I can use this thing. You have to hold it right next to the bud and the plant moves around. Every once in awhile you get a glimpse of a trichome but then its gone.

Are people actually able to look at a bud trichome with one of these. I call BS or at least not like I want to do. I want to see a area large enough to see the percentage of amber trics. In my opinion this can only be done by cutting a piece of bud off.

How to you guys accomplish this with out cutting a piece of bud?

USB Microscope

thumb_IMG_1309_1024.jpg

Pics with the USB microscope
thumb_S20230216_003_1024.jpg
thumb_S20230216_004_1024.jpg

JUNK!!!
thumb_IMG_1310_1024.jpg

led05

Chasing The Present
Junk - Yup ^^

Belomo Loupe 10X is the best one of their groupings for above type of thing, insect & disease identification etc…. ask any geologist or serious plant guy ;) - you get what you pay for and they’re pretty cheap anyhow….

Watch out for knockoffs

E769663E-16AD-4677-98F2-E527C265D7C4.jpeg

PS: Don’t worry, real 10X is plenty enough I assure you, the FOV on the 10X is 2x the 15x which is why I prefer it, I rarely use the 15x in fact due this reason

mack 10

Veteran
always had same problem,
so dam frustrating ,trying to get the trics in focus.
i too hate having to chop any buds off, just to check
but with the tools at hand, it is what it is.

there are a couple of cheap hand helds that work quiet well,
but are few and far between,

i was looking at a digi one like you have above
but it seems to have the same shortcomings.

ive got some old skool hash tipsif you still interested Hammehead,
in fact, they have been using the new tech for hounreds of years
without even realising.

goingrey

You can use a regular camera if the USB microscope can't reach your plants. Macro mode preferably.

Used to think people were silly for using loupes but as I get older I'm starting to understand.

Sasult

That chunk you cut off is 100x more than you need. This is the size of my samples.
IMG_2023-02-17_00-39-38-1[1].jpg

That small scope you have works good, as long as you don't try to hold it to the plant. I tried it that way at first also, so I get your frustration. Small sample on a solid surface and it works as good as any other microscope and the price is nice, but definitely not a jeweler's loupe.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I have used both digital and handheld pocket microscopes on living plants before. Problem is if the magnification is too big or focus field too narrow, it's hard to catch any bits in focus or mantain them there enaugh to see the trichs. After trying many ways and devices, I now only use a 20x pocked microscope with ilumination. I think 10 to 30X works, more than that and it's hard to focus. Just keep the bud secure with your palm, and rest the microscope partly on your thumb, so it doesnt move around too much. You should be able to see enaugh to judge it.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
That chunk you cut off is 100x more than you need. This is the size of my samples.
View attachment 18811257
That small scope you have works good, as long as you don't try to hold it to the plant. I tried it that way at first also, so I get your frustration. Small sample on a solid surface and it works as good as any other microscope and the price is nice, but definitely not a jeweler's loupe.
This is what I was talking about. What's so bad about tearing off a piece of leaf that tiny?

hamstring

Veteran
Junk - Yup ^^

Belomo Loupe 10X is the best one of their groupings for above type of thing, insect & disease identification etc…. ask any geologist or serious plant guy ;) - you get what you pay for and they’re pretty cheap anyhow….

Watch out for knockoffs

View attachment 18811253

PS: Don’t worry, real 10X is plenty enough I assure you, the FOV on the 10X is 2x the 15x which is why I prefer it, I rarely use the 15x in fact due this reason
Ledo
Thanks for the reply and I am going to look in to those for sure. much appreciated.

hamstring

Veteran
I have used both digital and handheld pocket microscopes on living plants before. Problem is if the magnification is too big or focus field too narrow, it's hard to catch any bits in focus or mantain them there enaugh to see the trichs. After trying many ways and devices, I now only use a 20x pocked microscope with ilumination. I think 10 to 30X works, more than that and it's hard to focus. Just keep the bud secure with your palm, and rest the microscope partly on your thumb, so it doesnt move around too much. You should be able to see enaugh to judge it.
Appreciate the feedback and it looks like the consensus is bigger magnification is not better.

hamstring

Veteran
always had same problem,
so dam frustrating ,trying to get the trics in focus.
i too hate having to chop any buds off, just to check
but with the tools at hand, it is what it is.

there are a couple of cheap hand helds that work quiet well,
but are few and far between,

i was looking at a digi one like you have above
but it seems to have the same shortcomings.

ive got some old skool hash tipsif you still interested Hammehead,
in fact, they have been using the new tech for hounreds of years
without even realising.
Always interested in learning new techniques.

led05

Chasing The Present
Piney
Thanks and I appreciate the feedback. I am learning you are correct. Stronger isn't better in this case.
Ledo
Thanks for the reply and I am going to look in to those for sure. much appreciated.

IME Often The problem is claimed 30 or 40X often is actually less than true 10X, after one buys a quality loupe with a large Field of View (FOV) they’ll realize 10X is plenty, I.e you can spot russet & broad mites even with ‘em….

I’ve got all types of magnification here all levels of cost, all combined get less use than my Belomo Triplet 10X….

Anyone whom has ever followed this recommendation has greatly thanked me…

I push things hard cuz I know the difference a good tool makes, the triplet is a great tool…

Happy hunting & your most welcome

hamstring

Veteran
IME Often The problem is claimed 30 or 40X often is actually less than true 10X, after one buys a quality loupe with a large Field of View (FOV) they’ll realize 10X is plenty, I.e you can spot russet & broad mites even with ‘em….

I’ve got all types of magnification here all levels of cost, all combined get less use than my Belomo Triplet 10X….

Anyone whom has ever followed this recommendation has greatly thanked me…

I push things hard cuz I know the difference a good tool makes, the triplet is a great tool…

Happy hunting & your most welcome
Ledo5
I already looked at the cost and it was only $35 frog skins. Worth it in my opinion if it works. This would be great for me as I am a old salty guerrilla grower and would love to use it on my outdoor crops.

led05

Chasing The Present
Ledo5
I already looked at the cost and it was only $35 frog skins. Worth it in my opinion if it works. This would be great for me as I am a old salty guerrilla grower and would love to use it on my outdoor crops.
I carry one in my pocket most the growing seasons ;) - iirc they are made in Belarus

Latest posts

Latest posts