What's new

Trellis Vs Tomato Cage for stretchy strains

forty

8+ tops will yeild (training). no need to support the lower stem nugs when you have enough tops that'll shade that lower stuff.

I

Iron_Lion

I like these things for growing horizontal, Im pretty sure these come in larger sizes as well.

This pic is them being used on my OG

I picked up a few of these for my vertical grows

I dont like tomato cages because they are too small a diameter and just seem to bunch all the buds up at the top.

RUDEBOI

^^^^^^@IRONLION^^^^^^ Where'dya get those from and how much? That's exactly what I need for my O.G.'s I have in 5 Gal's. Instead of tomato cages that looks like its better because you get the same support minus the "bunching effect" so it can develop laterally naturally.

I

Iron_Lion

^^^^^^@IRONLION^^^^^^ Where'dya get those from and how much? That's exactly what I need for my O.G.'s I have in 5 Gal's. Instead of tomato cages that looks like its better because you get the same support minus the "bunching effect" so it can develop laterally naturally.

www.htgsupply.com has the round ones in 12" for $7 and 24" for $10.

I dont know where you can find the tall ones online, I bought them locally at a junk store for $5 each.

I also use bamboo stakes and gardeners wire which I think works the best because I can shape it specifically to fit it's spot in the garden. I have done horizontal LST for years and really enjoy tying the plants so I applied this to vertical growing so I dont miss out on my old hobby.

RUDEBOI

@ironlion---Thanx for the info. I think I may have to try a few of those and see how it twerks!

@stoney917---Just lookin' at your avatar and had to laugh!! What u know about Eli/bullyson family of gamebred bulldogs?Haha

sallys

here's a different idea for stretchy, vine-y strains: attach a line of string or twine clothesline-style, and as your plant grows, train it horizontally along the line. Attach lines with eye-hooks or cup-hooks. You will be amazed.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
lovin my 9x TC setup so far....2zones per plant 9 cages per 1kw will get 18 oz which aint too shabby for OG...thats just my estimate for now i will update with actual yield..as soon as a cola creeps over the top i train her down to the upper ring and let the others catch up...also gives the middle of the plant good light penetration..

indoorjune23005.jpg

C

chefro420

Tomato cages unless the plants are jumbo or space issues

picture.php

picture.php

No stretch on this lady :)

GreenBizzle

"with the TC i can tie each top down to a section on the upper circle.....it would form a ring of top colas"

^^ that is exacty whatcha gotta do...bend over and tie down, opens up the middle/inner/midlevel budsites...the cages can create some gaps in the canopy, so ill stick a two top girl in between just staked, to fill in any gaps...

TCs are great if:
have many tops
train and bend and tied down

def still remove the lower larf...

lanky-stretchy bitches require time in the garden...even with TCs u gotta go in with the stakes & ties and prop things up nicely
when they start to swell up!

Shoots

I like running trellis if they are in a tray. On the ground its easier with cages I think. If you have the head room I prefer to put them on a tray raised up a bit so when it comes to working on the plants they are a little bit easier for taller people to work in the canopy. trellis will make a really nice even canopy but so will cages if the time is taken with each plant.

With new de lighting in 8ft ceilings, I switched to big plants in big pots. Og or cookies or glue.....all stretchy strains. But basically I run 4 per light(5x5) in 10 gallon pots with 42 inch tomato cages. I got a roll of green wire fencing and cut them into 2x2 pieces. I zip tied 1 of them to the top of the cages. This allows for total support, the ability to move them around or spin them or whatever.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
^would love to see a pic, i also switched to 4 per 1kw now and i like it better than the SOG beds, less pruning issues.

funny reading old threads. i went from trellis to tomato cages and back to trellis. and i think for my outdoor this year will use a combo of both! except instead of tomato cages will be using 10 ft fencing.

i never really updated but if i remember right, my yields with tomato cages were less than the trellis..in my old room i was able to hit 1.8 per 4x4 with SFV OG with the trellis weave technique, and with the TC i remember it being just around 1 per light.

saturnino

hortomallas trellis netting has a great knowledge-base site

hortomallas trellis netting has a great knowledge-base site

I ran into this cool site that specializes on hortomallas trellis netting and i think more than a few here could use the free resources that are available using the search button. Especially when installed horizontally like in flower beds, the behaviousr is similar to cannabis. If you can search in Spanish, they have a lot more articles! Cheers:tiphat:

https://www.pinterest.com/hortomallas/hortomallas-trellis-netting/

Im just about fed up with my trellis.....standard white netting, main problem is how the plants always just grow above the netting then fall over, plus any nugs below the netting always droop over because there is nothing to catch on too...also not a fan of harvest either because it likes to slice off nugs that get caught in the netting.... i use a combo of stakes too and its just a mess in there...

I am talking about real stretchy viney strains here....personally for me the OG kush. after running her a few years i really want to try tomato cages out with her and see whats good. with the tomato cage she has support from top to bottom, and it keeps all the colas inside the cage footprint where as trellis nugs like the bend over into their neighbors space....plus i can move the plants around much easier...

looking for anybody with previous experiance with cages....pros/cons? my next run is gonna be 9 per 1k with 5 gal pots and a long long veg, they are ready to explode...the cage fits perfectly around the 5 gal pot..

my other option is to build some kind of adjustable trellis system that slides up and down.....but that seems like a bitch...im not in the mood to play with PVC piping right now.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
theres several kinds of cages support for tomatos /plants...I have used them all at one time or another...I hate string trelleses and such ....fencing works way better.....yeehaw...I am going modular setup using milk crates the big ones so I can indeed move each plant..got 6 crates so far......using fencing should be sooooo easy ......I had some waiting but my snow peas needed it more ...mmmmm snowpeas

Samadhi Farms

When to trellis

When to trellis

Hey guys, I usually stake and tie, but I'm trying to trellis this time around. I'm only going to do one layer and I have some frames built for them. My question is when is the best time to throw the trellis up? Do you wait until after the stretch or maybe last week of the stretch? Thanks!

Latest posts

Latest posts