What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Trees" ?

R32T

So I have 20 indica girls in rdwc under a 600mh on a track 24/7, I plan on using a screen since I did top them when they were about 8''. There about 4 weeks and only a foot tall. Can I trimm all the bottom growth away to make it stretch more?? Or do I let them grow wild and once I flip them I trim?? Thanks. Pic from transplant to come

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
You didn't have to top them to use a screen. Let them grow wild now, and begin trimming away gradually beginning flowering.

E

EvilTwin

R32T,
I think theres a bit of confusion going on here. Perhaps it's only in my mind though... lol Why is your thread entitled Trees when youj're talking about scrog?

So you're talking about doing a scrog? I personally think you should re-think that. You have too many plants and you've already gotten off to a bad start.

You want a fairly tall branchy strain for scrogs. You want to veg until the screen is about half full and then fill it the rest of the way during the stretch.

You have a 20 plant grow underway...just grow them. Don't trim anymore since that'll just set them back. You only need about 4 plants for a 600w scrog.

Wait till you have more experience and a better understanding before attempting advanced training techniques (which scrog is)
ET

R32T

Ok guess I should have gave more info, since I'm having trouble getting the pic up. Ok so the reason for the screen was for support since the there in 4" lids. And I'm going to flower with 2 1k's 2 600 HPS and I'm thinking about adding in a vert 600 MH to go down the center of the 2 rows of 10 buckets since the tracks already up

R32T

Ok so the fastest way to get them big is is to let them grow nautral, wasn't sure if it was worth let's the fan leaves grow so big.

E

EvilTwin

OK...that makes more sense.

I'd avoid doing any pruning or trimming if you don't have to. The fan leaves aren't just there for decoration...they're the photovoltaic panels for the grow.

People do all sorts of trimming and pruning and training. read some of the tutorials about them. Supercropping is the only one that I might recommend. LST and other techniques are more for taller sativa leaning hybrids.

Just remember that any pruning you do will set back the plant a bit. You have topped indicas which should grow nice and bushy. I doubt that you'll have 6 foot trees though. What strain are they?
ET

R32T

Hindu Kush Skunk But yeah I topped then thinking it would help then grow tall more even, guess I didn't really didn't read up much about trees till after I set it up, verts better for trees right? Or will the hoods be ok? Walls got poly... Rooms sealed. Oh and I'm in 24/7 would 20/4 or 18/6 help them out. Read some where on here today that if I put them on 20/4 they will "blow up"

E

EvilTwin

R32T,
All is not lost. You'll have two main colas instead of one!

It's really hard to say how tall those will get. But since you've got 1000watt lights...you could go with overhead lights and still get good penetration. Now when you say you have a track...does that mean a light mover? If that's the case, I'd put the two 1K lights on the mover and then suspend the 2 600s vertically inside for side lighting.

You've got CO2 and a sealed room?

I don't know what you mean by them "blowing up" but I'd switch them to 20/4 or 18/6. A 24 hour schedule is usually only used with real young plants. Larger plants need the night cycle. Quite a project you've got going there.

What's the problem with the pictures? Are they taken and sitting on your hard drive? Do you have a any removeable or portable drives on your computer? Zip or an external hard drive?
ET

R32T

1c234701.jpg

R32T

In the center are extra clones I was saving to weedout the runts, the center light is on a mover runs front to back. Once I get a recent pic I'll post.... There about 18" now and bushy

B

Brazilianfire

Very nice and clean setup you have there... I'm taking a seat on this one. I think you will achieve nice heavy respectable yields with the strain and setup you have. :)

B

Brazilianfire

oh, yeah.. what are you cooling the grow room with? a/c? if so how large?

E

EvilTwin

R32T,
Do you have the lights lowered close to the plants now while they're vegging? Don't want them to stretch too much on you. I know you want tall plants but if they stretch looking for light...then you get wide node spacing which isn't good for yield/productivity.

And something to think about. If you can put a vegging room together somewhere...then your nice bloom room can be in full productivity more. Each time you harvest...then if you can have fully vegged plants ready to go into bloom...it makes for a fast turnover.
Cheers,
ET

B

Brazilianfire

R32T,
Do you have the lights lowered close to the plants now while they're vegging? Don't want them to stretch too much on you. I know you want tall plants but if they stretch looking for light...then you get wide node spacing which isn't good for yield/productivity.

And something to think about. If you can put a vegging room together somewhere...then your nice bloom room can be in full productivity more. Each time you harvest...then if you can have fully vegged plants ready to go into bloom...it makes for a fast turnover.
Cheers,
ET

Very valid point ET!
I learn something daily. :)

R32T

oh, yeah.. what are you cooling the grow room with? a/c? if so how large?

Yeah I hoping this one comes out better then my pasts, first at this spot. but I don't got a real idea what's a good number I'll end up with, atleast 5? The a/c is just a 15k works good since 3200 watts will be air cooled with 1 6" inline fans for 2 hoods so there nice and cold. Have been using c02 to veg also, set my meter to 800 but since I have 5 burners when it turns off rooms at 2000, they seem to eat it up quick.

*mistress*

Veteran
they are just starting to take off...;)

they could still fill in more, & fill in the space between the buckets more.
another 2 weeks should get them there...

pinching off lower growing tips, not leaves surrounding growing tips, will concentrate growth to remaining tops. just keep top 2 nodes of growth of ea branch...

inner growth on lower nodes are useless... leave the fan & smaller leaves :)... but maybe get rid of all except terminal flowers & 2 nodes directly below terminal flowers...

they could also be staked, or yoyo'ed, or supported in some manner. really does make branches/side shoots get thicker & carry weight of large fruit.

a 'tree' is not really defined in these boards.
they would seemto be a plant @ least 4x4x4' tall*wide... smaller than that are big bushes (3x3x3').

nice! :yes:
a little more veg, maybe some training & thinning & they should provide large fruit!

enjoy your garden!

R32T

Yeah plan on letting them veg for another week and a half to let the right side catch up. Think I'll just thin them out the same night l flip them. They range from 19-25" which leaves about 3 1/2 feet to my lights. There drinking heavy already.