What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Treating PM/mold in flower

Thanks heaps for the advice mate!

I was just going to mix it up in a spray bottle and mist the plants. Would you suggest that I soak them quite thoroughly or would you say a relatively light misting is better so long as I cover the affected areas fully?

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I just checked my local store, and does not have raw milk listed as a product. Where does one acquire it?? A farm or health food store?

Buddler

Veteran
I just checked my local store, and does not have raw milk listed as a product. Where does one acquire it?? A farm or health food store?
Well get your gumboots on and a bucket head er out for the farm lol jking..Bud

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Thanks heaps for the advice mate!

I was just going to mix it up in a spray bottle and mist the plants. Would you suggest that I soak them quite thoroughly or would you say a relatively light misting is better so long as I cover the affected areas fully?

Dripping wet--no mist. Think torrential rain minus the wind. Each time--light misting is for "wimps"....lol.

Loc--in So Cali, the only source that regularly carries raw milk is Mothers Market (a foodie/health/organic/crazy shit grocery store of sorts that sells bulk granola (half a dozen choices) and has every food sweetner known to man...know what I mean?, lol).

You never suffered any bud rot from doing that? Even late in flower?

As someone who has dealt with PM, does what I have in the pictures look like PM to you?

I had a bug problem and I used a lot of insecticidal soap. For me it is hard to tell whether the white stuff is residue from that or PM. Whenever I look at photos of PM online it seems as though there is a lot more white fuzz on the leaves and a lot less leaf damage.

The thing is when the leaf tips die it seems like there is a bit of white powder on the dead parts, but in a sense it doesn't add up that a fungus would be on dried out leaf since the fungus needs moisture to live... I am at a loss as to what else it could be, but I have no experience with PM and even though it doesn't look exactly like it I am struggling to figure out what else it could be. Would you be confident in saying that is PM, and if not do you have any idea what else it might be?

I haven't figured out how to edit my posts, sorry for the double post. I should say that it being residue from the soap might explain why it is only on the lower leaves and not the newer growth that has grown since I stopped spraying before flower.

On the other hand, the lack of airflow in the lower part of the tent could also explain why the apparent mold is localised to that area.

I have more than a handful of grows under my belt and I have never dealt with anything like this before. All I know is the leaves down low keep drying out and dying off, and the buds on my plants are nowhere near as large as they should be for this stage of flower.

DocTim420

Just make sure when you return the plants back to flower the leaves are dry--and you have good air flow (fresh if possible). I live about 5 miles from the ocean so we are more humid than most, and no bud rot issues (provided the buds are dry before lights go off). My logic is this--if I spray when lights first turn on, return plants when leaves are dry, by the time the lights go off the buds are dry--hence no concern for bud rot. If you spray right before lights off (plants wet), then imo, you are inviting problems.

I am slightly confused, are you saying wait until the leaves are dry before putting the plants back in the tent?

And do the pictures I posted look like PM to you? I am really not 100% sure what I have, I made a previous thread and people thought it didn't look like PM. It certainly doesn't look like the typical picture posted online, but I don't know what else it could be at this point.

It is worth pointing out that I have read both insecticidal soap and neem prevent/kill PM, and I was using these quite heavily until late in veg. I am keen to give this milk spray a try but do you have any idea what else it could be?

DocTim420

Yes...spray until leaves are dripping, set plants aside, have fan blow on plants, when leaves are dry return back to flower. If you do return wet plants to flower, decrease the light intensity or raise them up a bit...don't want to fry the leaves/buds. Just make sure when lights go off they are dry.

PM is weird, it can cover one plant (usually the sickest) and be spotty on another. But just because you don't see it with a naked eye--does not mean you're safe. It can creep up and cover a bud tomorrow--that yesterday, you thought was "clear".

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
One thing that is odd, is that some plants are immune to it. I had about 12 GG4 plants, with three OG's at one end. 2 fire OG's and White fire OG. They were devastated and had to be killed. One GG4 touching them got a little on a branch or 2, and the rest had none. I bought seeds recently, and leaned towards varieties that were resistant.

I grew a cross of GG4 with Agent Orange, and it was a PM magnet, i think due to massive dense buds.

I have been thinking about changing my avatar, to one from this scene - Do we have a problem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g3O-G7EGbk

I will see if I can work out something like that. There is carpet in the room I am using and I am a bit worried about the milk solution getting into the carpet and going rancid.

None of the plants have been covered in any fuzz, its just a light bit of whiteness on the lower leaves. I have no experience so I can't tell whether it is soap residue or spores...

Does PM normally cause the damage like in the pictures I posted? For some reason most of the pictures online don't seem to show that sort of damage, especially not without a decent covering of white fuzz. In my shoes, based on those pictures, would you be satisfied that this is in fact PM? I would greatly appreciate an answer to this question as I am rather confused and uncertain.

DocTim420

MD-01.jpg

Example of PM on leaf. You can wash residue off leaf...but better yet use a 45x magnifier to inspect the leaf. Once you see it, it will be ingrained in your brain forever...and probably, like me, will be able to spot instantly--even in a forest of plants.

Wendull C.

Veteran
After you get rid of it or harvest and clean, place enough fans in the room to always gave every leaf in the room fluttering with the fans oscillation and you will never see PM again.

I don't mean to fry your plants with wind. A gentle breeze is all.

Some rooms need a fan tied to the roof, some need a fan on the floor, some need both.

SurfdOut

Veteran
1oz Horsetail, boil in a couple cups of water. Steep for a bit and add to 2 gals for foliar application.

View Image
Example of PM on leaf. You can wash residue off leaf...but better yet use a 45x magnifier to inspect the leaf. Once you see it, it will be ingrained in your brain forever...and probably, like me, will be able to spot instantly--even in a forest of plants.

My plant leaves don't really look like that, the white stuff is very thin, I really can't tell if it is soap residue or the start of PM. One thing that strikes me is that if it really was PM my leaves wouldn't be dying before there was a more noticeable build up of spores, but I am struggling to figure out what else it could be.

I think my loupe is only 30x, but I am not sure. I will do some thorough inspecting later to see if it looks like mold.

SurfdOut

Veteran
It doesnt grow here in Hawaii so I have to buy from health food store. I have applied very late in flower with no burnt pistils or any other notable issues.

hyposomniac

I dont think pm is your problem.
You water at 1.4ec ph 5.7 and only get runoff every three days, if im reading your other thread correctly.
I bet medium ph is crazy low locking out P.

I only watered every three days, I was getting run off every time I watered at that time. Though the plants recently got tall enough that I had to take out the drainage tray and I have not been watering them to run off for the past couple of weeks. Would you suggest flushing as an attempt to solve the issue? How much water would I flush?