What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Transitioning away from the illegal grower mindset?

KONY

Veteran
It's that old school illegal grower mindset that is ingrained into many of our personalities. Having a hard time letting go of it.

It's a way of life and the locals that live around have never been a part of. Even the ones that also grow. I believe the difference is they have legit jobs and only grow one outdoor crop a year. However they have no problem telling you the first time they meet you about their grow.

There is very little pressure from LEO here. Sure if they can make an easy busy they will, but they don't go out of their way to find them. I know the big risk is getting ripped off while away from home, or even worse having someone break in while home with bad intentions. I know legalization won't change this, probably make it even more prevalent.

But how does one start being more honest with people, and not risk personal safety and security? Especially people you have already made up stories for. Maybe these relationships are a lost cause and there is nothing we can do? Putting yourself in their shoes, I wouldntt wana befriend someone that lied to me for years.....

Floridian

Veteran
..Unless they were doing something totally productive and cool like growing.A real friend would understand that in a heartbeat and if intelligent,would respect you for it.Unfortunately too many folks just do not have the capacity to be real friends.I hope and pray one day to be in your position.I would have a 4 legged best friend that's for sure!

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i think i would hang on to that way of thinking until Trump/Sessions make their objectives clear...which may or may not ever occur.:comfort:

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
I've never had any of the people I was lying to about where my weed came from get mad when I told them it was actually me growing it.

Maybe that would be different if I had been vending to them.

Everyone I've come out to after I decided to move to Mass seemed to understand that I couldn't go around showing off my cup or bragging on my grow when I was doing it in NY.

Everyone I shared weed with there I told a story that I worked on a couple big commercial ops run by people who shared with me based on my severe medical conditions and I was just passing on the excess earned by trimming or watering someone else's op.

Only one person in my real life saw my grow there and knew what was up before I moved.

There was really no pressure in the part of upstate ny I was in either for middle age white men and I really didn't think I was likely to see jail time unless I was selling but it sure is great to not sweat it anymore or worry about a neighbor seeing me carrying a bag of dirt from my trunk or catching a wiff of my herb.

III%

I'm in the same club, newly legal. I still prefer to hide behind many levels of secrecy.

I say what really is the difference by then and now, there is still thieves to worry about, there is still jealousy, there is still rats, and the threat of LEO will never go away entirely.

I did it long before any of this medical or legal bs, I didn't feel the need to stand out then and I don't really feel the need to stand out now.

I would however still like to get ahold of an ecsd cut, that's been a goal of mine for the last 10 years now, I suppose I van be a little more open and not be so scared to meet people in real life.

I see people selling quantities out in the open with a med card, or trying to do it under rec. But neither of those is legal.

It is still illegal to sell rec. and it is technically illegal to sell med weed to anyone aside from your listed patients. You can however gift an oz, but that's not what's going on.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
not likely
i live in colorado, since 09
it pays to have and keep that mentality, CYA or regret it.
just because it's illegal doesn't mean you shouldn't be super discreet and COVER YOUR ASS

not trying to piss on the legalization parade here, i love safe legal access, but the sad truth is that homegrows are targeted by both LEO and rippers, so best keep that discreet mindset, drop the paranoia and stress but keep the discreet :D

I wood

Being legal doesn't prevent cops or other thieves from ripping you off, being discreet is still of importance to me.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
In general I have found weed growers online seldom live up to their own best advice when it comes to security.

If they did we wouldn't see them online either.

I don't buy it that there are lots of criminals out searching for homegrows in states where there are so many commercial ops they could target.

Weed is cheap and easy to get in med and rec states, I don't think there are so many people gunning for your couple of tents in the basement.

we don't have retail yet here and prices are ten a gram and seven a gram in ounce quantities.

Retail in WA and CO reported at six and eight buck a gram, show me the crime wave of rippers there?
Craigslist grey market has been going way strong in those states too and continues to grow.

in Cali a quick google earth search will probably find you dozens of huge open gardens within a few miles and still most get through the season without ripper action and those are millions of dollars ripening outside, not a couple of K at best in the average basement homegrow.

My experience in Cali showed me what freedom could taste like and Im really happy to see it replicated here in RI and to some extant in MA and Maine.

Boston CL today has 90 ads for marijuana in for sale today, 30 in services, 12 in housing, etc. saw ads hiring trimmers on CL last week, lol.

I'm poor and I buy everything I can on CL and while I know there have been examples of people getting robbed, raped, and murdered during a CL transaction I still go.

I know how it feels to worry that your unemployed neighbor may have smelled your grow and to not want to leave the house at night because you are afraid he'll rip you.

I'm so happy to have left that one behind. :dance013:

EastCoast710

It's that old school illegal grower mindset that is ingrained into many of our personalities. Having a hard time letting go of it.

It's a way of life and the locals that live around have never been a part of. Even the ones that also grow. I believe the difference is they have legit jobs and only grow one outdoor crop a year. However they have no problem telling you the first time they meet you about their grow.

There is very little pressure from LEO here. Sure if they can make an easy busy they will, but they don't go out of their way to find them. I know the big risk is getting ripped off while away from home, or even worse having someone break in while home with bad intentions. I know legalization won't change this, probably make it even more prevalent.

But how does one start being more honest with people, and not risk personal safety and security? Especially people you have already made up stories for. Maybe these relationships are a lost cause and there is nothing we can do? Putting yourself in their shoes, I wouldntt wana befriend someone that lied to me for years.....

if your friends cant understand not wanting to deal with robberies.. and loose lips.. then they aren't your friends.. and I still don't tell people it went legal here.. and I still don't say ya I got a grow in my basement or show people. I do my thing.. if they grow cool. we can trade and so on. but I'm not about to show anyone what I do . :dance013:

EastCoast710

In general I have found weed growers online seldom live up to their own best advice when it comes to security.

If they did we wouldn't see them online either.

I don't buy it that there are lots of criminals out searching for homegrows in states where there are so many commercial ops they could target.

Weed is cheap and easy to get in med and rec states, I don't think there are so many people gunning for your couple of tents in the basement.

we don't have retail yet here and prices are ten a gram and seven a gram in ounce quantities.

Retail in WA and CO reported at six and eight buck a gram, show me the crime wave of rippers there?
Craigslist grey market has been going way strong in those states too and continues to grow.

in Cali a quick google earth search will probably find you dozens of huge open gardens within a few miles and still most get through the season without ripper action and those are millions of dollars ripening outside, not a couple of K at best in the average basement homegrow.

My experience in Cali showed me what freedom could taste like and Im really happy to see it replicated here in RI and to some extant in MA and Maine.

Boston CL today has 90 ads for marijuana in for sale today, 30 in services, 12 in housing, etc. saw ads hiring trimmers on CL last week, lol.

I'm poor and I buy everything I can on CL and while I know there have been examples of people getting robbed, raped, and murdered during a CL transaction I still go.

I know how it feels to worry that your unemployed neighbor may have smelled your grow and to not want to leave the house at night because you are afraid he'll rip you.

I'm so happy to have left that one behind. :dance013:

lol your almost delusional. lol. commercial ops have security.. houses with people inside usually don't.

and Massachusetts if u didn't know. since I been living here my entire life.. and your just moving back to this shit hole.. u will know that almost EVERYONE is hooked on pills. heroin. meth . or cocaine or crack. even the weed smokers.. strung out . so telling people u don't know well will get your door kicked in eventually. I have yet to hear a grower in mass that tells people he grows.. have a great story to tell a few years later.. wen one of his friends eventually gets strung out and comes when he knows hes not home and kicks in a window or door and goes and takes all his shit.

it happens DAILY. with medical grows.. and rec grows in mass.. people not only are targeting the houses.. but do it easier here in mass. they wait at grow stores.. and follow you home. just had a friend get fucked huge that way.. and he thought no1 followed him or anything.. ends up losing everything.. now hes gotta sell his house and move because he doesn't want to risk them coming back .. not only that.. 3 dudes. 2 dudes hopped out and pulled guns on him. pushed him into the house or said they would just kill him and take the keys and go in.. knowing his wife and kids were home he let them in and just asked not to be hurt. he has video of the outdoors guys pushing him into the house with guns on him.. and this is in a nice house. nice area.. and a nice grow store lol. BE VERY CAREFUL.. even people who look like they are good people. are using heroin and pills right now.. and robbing people isn't above them AT ALL

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
If you where buying and selling gold ingots would you leave them about the house for casual friends to see?

would you hope because they are legal and they are friends there should be no discretion or boundaries

I think it is a bit binary in a person's thinking to keep someone outside their life or let them completely in

None of my friends ask me which way I wipe when I shit or how much money I have in the bank,so I guess if you keep your grow your own personal business you can have friends and not worry about them knowing about your grow.

III%

I think in cali it might be different because everyone has been growing and or doing it outdoors for many years. No one needs to steal your grow because they all have their own, I can imagine that weed is just such the norm there that no one even cares about it anymore.

In the new legal states up until now the only growers are the ones that have most likely been doing it for a long time. There is no place to buy retail, and not everyone has got their own grow, or even knows how to grow.

In the new legal states I imagine there will be a huge wave of noob and a lot of people might take up outdoor growing this summer but currently they don't have a way to get the weed they want, so it is still a hot commodity and thieves could still be enticed.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why would a theif target a secured commercial op? That'd be stupid as fuck. They'd be on camera more than likely & they for damn sure aint running of with a warehoue full of buds.

Home growers are the perfect target!
Most won't call the cops if they get ripped anyway because A. the cops won't do anything to help anyway & B. security is still numero uno & telling the cops you grow just seems stupid.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why would a theif target a secured commercial op? That'd be stupid as fuck. They'd be on camera more than likely & they for damn sure aint running of with a warehoue full of buds.

Home growers are the perfect target!
Most won't call the cops if they get ripped anyway because A. the cops won't do anything to help anyway & B. security is still numero uno & telling the cops you grow just seems stupid.

difference is between small take and big take.... it happens to dispensaries all the time.
iirc last year armed guard was killed in colorado during robbery

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
lol your almost delusional. lol. commercial ops have security.. houses with people inside usually don't.

and Massachusetts if u didn't know. since I been living here my entire life.. and your just moving back to this shit hole.. u will know that almost EVERYONE is hooked on pills. heroin. meth . or cocaine or crack. even the weed smokers.. strung out . so telling people u don't know well will get your door kicked in eventually. I have yet to hear a grower in mass that tells people he grows.. have a great story to tell a few years later.. wen one of his friends eventually gets strung out and comes when he knows hes not home and kicks in a window or door and goes and takes all his shit.

it happens DAILY. with medical grows.. and rec grows in mass.. people not only are targeting the houses.. but do it easier here in mass. they wait at grow stores.. and follow you home. just had a friend get fucked huge that way.. and he thought no1 followed him or anything.. ends up losing everything.. now hes gotta sell his house and move because he doesn't want to risk them coming back .. not only that.. 3 dudes. 2 dudes hopped out and pulled guns on him. pushed him into the house or said they would just kill him and take the keys and go in.. knowing his wife and kids were home he let them in and just asked not to be hurt. he has video of the outdoors guys pushing him into the house with guns on him.. and this is in a nice house. nice area.. and a nice grow store lol. BE VERY CAREFUL.. even people who look like they are good people. are using heroin and pills right now.. and robbing people isn't above them AT ALL

This is exactly my point :laughing: excessive Internet hyperbole about that which cannot be proven.

EVERYONE hooked on heroin or pills!

DAILY people followed home from hydro shop to be pistol whipped and have wife and babies raped.

TYPE IN ALL CAPS DANGER! It sounds to me like your pal was running a commercial Op and maybe should have had his wife strapped and watching him come and go, no?

Anybody running 6-8 lights or more in my mind is a commercial op and I'd say that's what a real thief might target as opposed to a home grower like me growing for themself and maybe a few friends.

The OP and I were having this conversation a few weeks ago at the TetraHydro Club and that's the perfect example of a relaxed farmers market setting with lots of weed for sale in the open with no guns, crime, or hassles from the cops.

No booze, hard drugs, or bad vibes from what I've seen and no parking lot filled with jonesing addicts armed to the teeth waiting to follow me forty miles home and test my old lady's skill with a pump action Remington, lol.:biggrin:

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Just because something is "legal" does not mean shit--if someone else wants IT more than you. IMO, if you value your work/effort--then I would do everything to protect it (which means my lips are sealed).

Stupid is as stupid does--this happened last week or so.

Police: Carjacked big rig full of marijuana leads to Pomona indoor pot grow

A group of men carjacked a big-rig in Pomona containing more than half a ton of marijuana late Friday before leading police to an illicit marijuana grow at a Pomona home, police said.

Three men were arrested in connection with the carjacking, as well as on suspicion on suspicion of cultivating marijuana and possessing pot for sales, according to Pomona police Sgt. Dennis Cooper. The victims of the carjacking were also ultimately arrested on suspicion of possession of marijuana for sales.

“Although the investigation is still ongoing, it appears this was possibly a prearranged meeting between both parties and a drug deal gone wrong,” Cooper said in a written statement.

The armed carjacking unfolded about 11:45 p.m., the sergeant said. Officers found the just-stolen truck and trailer a short time later near a house.

“The suspects were observed by the police helicopter unloading the trailer and throwing large bags into the backyard of the residence,” Cooper said. “When officers arrived and detained the suspects, they found that the trailer and bags contained approximately 1,200 pounds of marijuana.”

Police got a search warrant for the home and soon discovered 240 marijuana plants growing inside, he said.

Arrested on suspicion of carjacking and possession of marijuana for sales were Tyler Brian Holthouser, 25, of Pomona and Xavier Leroy Blackmon, 26, of Victorville, according to police and Los Angeles County booking records. James Holthouser, 34, of Pomona is accused of conspiracy to commit carjacking and possession of marijuana for sales.

The two carjacking victims – Timothy Alan Frerich, 39, and Dennis Young, 40, both of Redding – were booked on suspicion of possession of marijuana for sales.

Tyler Holthouser, James Holthouser, Frerich and Young were being held in lieu of $100,000 bail each pending their initial court appearances, records show. Blackmon was being held in lieu of $50,000 bail.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/marijuana-743178-police-pomona.html