What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

training plants for low grow profile

pinche_puta

Has anyone ever tried to grow plants trained to spread very low along the ground and when it flowers you have what looks like a sea of green? or scrog outdoors?
The idea is to keep it low and spread out so it doesnt rememble the typical bushy grow profile and mix in some other plants like tomatoes, cucumber, and pepper plants in the spreading carpet to help camoflauge the grow at ground level and from the sky it should'nt resemble a grow because of the spread across the ground instead of the upward bushy profile.
Scrog could help I think because you can sorta hide it under the screen mixed with a vine plant and get it to spread out under the screen and when it flowers you would have buds all across the screen again not the typical look from ground level or from the sky.
Its just a thought and would like to know if this is a good idea for a very low profile grow.

peace pinche_puta

It shouldn't be too hard. Some times indoor I tie my plants, LST or low stress training. Yesterday I tied dowm a Mother's Finest clone using those plastic coated paper clips and string. A 12" dia bush is now about 30" in dia. and went from 15" tall to 1/2 that. The main tips of the branches will want to continue to grow, so you'll have to watch them. It is amazing how fast all those little branches that were shaded now start to take off.

I don't know how vulnerable you'll be with your grow. You will end up with a buch of colas that could be 18" long which is better than 5-6 feet. I'd want something growing in front of them that is going to be at least that high.

Personally, I'd only do this at my house if I knew my neighbors well and the yard was fenced. Even then there are kids, meter readers etc.

G

its my prefered outdoor method:D

its my prefered outdoor method:D

hey PP, :D

new to indoor have a bit of outdoor growin exp. nice old lady up the way has a killer garden, prolly a full acre of all kinds of plants.

her weed is a local purple indica, shes always bitchin cause they wanna stand up.....she just goes over, bends the plant back to the ground and tosses on rock on um to hold um down.

so durin the summer outdoor grow, when i sneak out to check um, I just pull um over and stick a rock on um.......even breaks up the stalk line from the air

pleasure
CBF

BaKeMan

I like to use aluminum tent stakes to hold my outdoor down.
as soon as a branch gets to high *bam* a stake is put there to bring it back down. I have had some great outdoor yeilds and knowbody even knows they're there. ( except when the aromas start ).
-Bake

-Great grows to you.

pinche_puta

Its good to see that its not a dumb idea and there are quite a few growers that use this method.
I appreciate everyones grow methods especially that rock tie down lol whatever it takes to get it done. Does anyone think that screen idea might work (outdoor scrog) with vines growing in with it?
The tip on growing something with your plants that are the same color is a great tip, that gives me a idea I wanted to grow something purple but was afraid to do it because of the color and I think I can still do it with some purple and green Wandering Jew that stuff should be about the same color and height 12"-18"

G

give that screen ago........

give that screen ago........

......I think that is a sweet idea, mixin in some vines for cover. prolly use that type a grow on the patio:D

pleasure
CBF

G

guest123

definately my chosen grow method , it increases your yeild aswell as making it harder to see ... all i do is keep them as small as i can , or low to the ground by bending , pegging , snapping etc , a plant 3 metres across may only be a metre high ... you can also cover the branches that are bent to the ground in dirt and they will root and give the plant another place to reach nutrients ... the plant in this pic yeilded over 2 lbs ...

7duck_from_2002-med.jpg

G

splayed out.......

splayed out.......

........hey wally your lookin pretty comfy there;) were ya able to get up:D

nice to see ya still around, hope this catches in good spirits. keep on bro.

pleasure
CBF

G

guest123

lol @cbf , yea the beer bottles were for snails , but yea i could have happily slept there , the aroma was lovely ...

pinche_puta

Hey wallyduck thats pretty low and such a high yield nice.

I did'nt know that was possible about burying a branch and it rooting from the branch thats great getting more nutes up to the plant.

thanks for everyones reply keep it coming

any other pics of low growing plants

peace

Soundscape

wallyduck said:
... you can also cover the branches that are bent to the ground in dirt and they will root and give the plant another place to reach nutrients

yeah, i have head of something like that before from and old grower, but it was kinda hard to believe. when would you want to do something like that?

G

guest123

i start to bend them as soon as there is enough to do so , ie , arouind a foot tall , and bend them every few days to a week , depending on the growth rate , you can practically splay them onto the ground .. i top mine and let 4-6 branches take main stems , but youll notice with bending and training you will get many more main buds than without doing so ... each branch becomes a main stem of its own .. very fun stuff ...

pinche_puta

wallyduck you answered a question I was gonna ask about topping the plant to minimize height and maximize the plants speading growth what a sweet way to keep a low profile, Gonna give that screen and vine idea a try also.

S

smotpoker

hey this guy told me about how he planted a plant under an old rotten mattress frame. so all the fabric was gone and the wire frame was left. he trained the plant thru the frame like a big scrog and let it grow out that way. i dunno if he was talking out his ass, but it makes sense and would look cool.