What's new

Tr1ck's 400Watt DR80 Iced Grapefruit

tr1ck_

So this is my first grow with my new setup. I have a Secret Jardin DR80 tent, a 400 watt HPS with digital ballast. I also have (4) 4 gallon airpots. I have a S&P TD100X exhaust fan with a Phresh filter. I also have a walmart humidifier to beat the 20% RH I am fighting during winter right now.

As of right now I have popped 5 Female Seeds Iced Grapefruit and they are in red party cups. I am using an aerogarden ~50 watt cfl to veg them for the time being. I will be moving the 4 best looking ones into their air pots and firing up the HPS fairly soon.

I have a mix of FFoF, Perlite, and Dolomite Lime in the party cups, and then I have had some LC#2 with bone/blood/kelp cooking for a few weeks awaiting the airpots.

I have decided to set my goal at a minimum of 8 ounces, so lets hope I can pull that off :)

Here is a picture of the tent with the 5 party cups vegging 24/0 under the Aerogarden hood.

picture.php

tr1ck_

I have two questions, I was hoping someone might be able to answer.

1.) When do you guys think it would be a good time to make the move from 24/0 under the ~50 watt aerogarden hood, to 18/6 and the 400 watt hps.

2.) Take a peak at the plant in the back left of the first picture, and the closeup in the second picture. It has 2 lighter spots in the center of the first real leaves. I am not sure what this is.

picture.php

picture.php

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Very nice start. I move seedling under a HPS after 2 weeks. The spots on the leaves could be due to slight bleaching. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much at this stage.

Simon

farmdalefurr

I feel nothing and it feels great
Veteran
whats up bud.......looks like your off to a great start. your little ladies are looking pretty good. have you by chance dropped a bit of water on that leaf that your worried about? kinda what it looks like to me. im not sure about the aerogarden light or when to move to the hps. i always start my clones/seeds under a 400w mh. you could possibly let em grow a little closer to the light, and then lst them. not sure if your going that way or not though. just an idea. how long are you planning to veg for to try to reach your 8oz goal? with a little lst and topping im sure you can get close to that, if not more if conditions are optimal. hope everything is goin well for ya. be safe :tiphat:

tr1ck_

Very nice start. I move seedling under a HPS after 2 weeks. The spots on the leaves could be due to slight bleaching. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much at this stage.

Simon

Thanks for stopping by Simon!

have you by chance dropped a bit of water on that leaf that your worried about?

I may have dropped some water, hopefully its just that :)

how long are you planning to veg for to try to reach your 8oz goal? with a little lst and topping im sure you can get close to that, if not more if conditions are optimal. hope everything is goin well for ya. be safe :tiphat:

I am not really sure how long I am going to veg for yet. I was planning on topping at least once and seeing how it looks. I was originally going to go from the red cups straight to the air pots, but now I think I may go to a 1 gallon in between pot so I have some time to adjust them to the 400 and top them.

1quixotix

Looks good, I'm gonna watch this one too! What are your temps running with the 400 running? How much above ambient would that be?
Have fun and good luck!

tr1ck_

Looks good, I'm gonna watch this one too! What are your temps running with the 400 running? How much above ambient would that be?
Have fun and good luck!

Thanks for stopping by 1quixotix, I just switched to the 400watt tonight :) I am not running the Phresh filter for now though as there is no scent and I would rather not waste some of its life. This should cause my temps to be a bit lower than they will be later on. I have only had the lights on about 4 hours, but the temp is up to 77.5 right now. Ambient is ~70. I assume the temps will continue to rise a bit more once the light has been on longer.

I have also decided to transplant into 6inch pots in-between the party cups and the air pots. I will most likely be transplanting in a day or two.

tr1ck_

After its first 18 hour day without the Phresh filter the temperature got up to 78.2 I also estimate it raised the ambient temp of my bedroom about 4 degrees bringing it up to ~73:) So I am feeling pretty good about the temps, hopefully I can keep them in this area the rest of the time!

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Looking very good so far Trick. Make sure those small cups don't dry out too quickly. You may want to think about transplanting soon so those roots can really start expanding. As for when to start running the 400w HPS? The answer is now. More light = more photosynthesis = bigger + healthier plants.

So far the plants look happy and healthy. Be proud.

-Funk

tr1ck_

voted best use of an aerogarden by 100% of the Stonedar's voting

Haha thanks, I originally tried using them for a small hydro grow with CFL's and they caused lots of problems, they are only useful now for vegging babies :)

Looking very good so far Trick.

Thanks for stopping by FunkBomb!

I now have all of the plants in 6 inch pots and I have been slowly lowering the HPS over the last few days, do you guys think this is low enough? Or should I lower it a bit more. Otherwise everything seems to be going great. I noticed the tent in my closet raises my bedroom's temperature a few degrees so I decided to block off my bedroom heat vent, hopefully that puts it back to where it was.

picture.php

picture.php

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
You will want to purchase a small clip fan to help circulate air between the tops of the plants and the light. This will also increase air exchange and strengthen stems. It will also allow you to put your light much closer to the plants without burning them.

This would work well:

http://www.amazon.com/Lasko-Clip-Fan-White/dp/B001V99Z4Q/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1297209778&sr=8-16

I have a small clip fan between my 600w and the tops of my plants. My 600 is less than a foot away. No burning, no plant pain, and super intense light for them.

-Funk

tr1ck_

Looks great buddy I'm watching on this one.

Good Luck. Edberg

Thanks for stopping by Edberg, glad to be your 2nd post :)

You will want to purchase a small clip fan to help circulate air between the tops of the plants and the light. This will also increase air exchange and strengthen stems. It will also allow you to put your light much closer to the plants without burning them

Thanks funk, coincidentally I actually did purchase that exact fan, I am in the process of getting a return though as it arrived broken.

killerweed31

Smile Vs Cry
Veteran
hey your baby look really good and green, maybe you put little more down the hps !?!? is time the plants are big enough for take full light you no, just my2cent anyway great job and i'll be watching closely this strain that make me interess!!

tr1ck_

hey your baby look really good and green, maybe you put little more down the hps !?!? is time the plants are big enough for take full light you no, just my2cent anyway great job and i'll be watching closely this strain that make me interess!!

Thanks for stopping by killerweed, I actually did decide to lower the light a few inches, It is now about 14-15 inches above the tops, and the temps have been ~79 the last few days.

If you look at these pictures you can see the plants are continuing to do alright, however they seem to be showing signs of a bit of over-watering (they had been wet for a couple days before I transplanted and then I re-watered after putting them in the larger pots) and a light nutrient burn. I have heard FFoF can be fairly hot for young plants so maybe that is it?

Here are two of the plants affected the most, the one on the left has the largest marks on the leaves, and the one on the right is the droopiest and is yellowing a little bit.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

What do you guys think? Nutrient burn? Over-watering? Outside letting the dry out nicely, should I take any corrective action? or just let the plants push through it.

On a side note: I have only been watering Ro/Di water with only CalMag+ added @ 3-4ml/gallon, but it is about 2 years old and cloudy, but it still smells fine. I read a thread where some people had problems with cloudy calmag, and others did not.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey tr1ck, i wouldnt worry too much about the way the plants look. they should bounce back one they have settled in...

some thoughts about what it may be - you say the soil has been wet but it looks dry to me in all the pics. when you repot you should water gently (so as not to was the soil around) but well so all of the soil is wet and a little comes out of the bottom - this helps settle the soil and remove any air pockets.
also RO water isnt very good for soil - a little dissolved solids is good as it has some buffering capacity. i would find out what your tapwater is like and try to use that. i use tapwater that is pH 9 - but i adjust the pH with citric acid down to about 6 before watering. the plants seem to love the cal and mag in it. chlorine can be dissapated by letting the water sit in the can for a day or two. chloramine is bad and not so easy to get rid of - its easy to find out about your water supply by calling the water company.

hope that helps. fwiw my plants sometime look similar when they are young but it never bothers them later on...

VG

tr1ck_

hey tr1ck, i wouldnt worry too much about the way the plants look. they should bounce back one they have settled in...

some thoughts about what it may be - you say the soil has been wet but it looks dry to me in all the pics. when you repot you should water gently (so as not to was the soil around) but well so all of the soil is wet and a little comes out of the bottom - this helps settle the soil and remove any air pockets.
also RO water isnt very good for soil - a little dissolved solids is good as it has some buffering capacity. i would find out what your tapwater is like and try to use that. i use tapwater that is pH 9 - but i adjust the pH with citric acid down to about 6 before watering. the plants seem to love the cal and mag in it. chlorine can be dissapated by letting the water sit in the can for a day or two. chloramine is bad and not so easy to get rid of - its easy to find out about your water supply by calling the water company.

hope that helps. fwiw my plants sometime look similar when they are young but it never bothers them later on...

VG

VerdantGreen, thanks so much for stopping by, your grows have really inspired me! I plan to create some form of screen sometime this week because of your grows.

Anyways, my tap water is TERRIBLE here. It is about 350-360ppm right now, and it has chloramine in it. I have a 5stage Ro/Di from my saltwater aquariums that is designed to remove the chloramine luckily, the water comes out at 0 ppm. This is why I have been using the Cal-Mag plus.

they dont look bad man just feel it out and keep going i have a very similar setup

Acotaco, I just checked out your tent, I wish I had the genetics you do :) Tnx for stopping by.

Latest posts

Latest posts