What's new

Toxic chemicals from standard garden hoses & safe hose alternatives

Toxic chemicals from standard garden hoses & safe hose alternatives

OL - I think CC was recommending something like that (is it sorta like a giant smart pot bed?), in which case I wouldn't worry

Oregonism

Always worry, it is plastic. Its a man-made material full of synthetic chemicals to assume a rigid shape. It is a hazard. On what level, you will have to decide for yourself, plenty of info out there.

W89

Veteran
So take that as a warning! Take your plants outta their pots instantly, plastic is bad!

Oregonism

So take that as a warning! Take your plants outta their pots instantly, plastic is bad!

Great here we go. Plastic is bad. Your going to argue that? Not with any candor or rationale. Plastic is just good, but I don't know why?

The other thing I have learned with plastic is that it is a hazard. Some people grow for medical purposes because they have compromised immune systems. My 1st patient couldn't TOUCH plastic.

So jokes aside W89, there are some factors,that are very important for not using plastic, but Im guessing you knew all this and just wanted to get in a lil good ribbing. :]

Grow safe!

Not all plastics are created equal. The variety of different chemical structures in plastics accounts for the different recycling numbers you see on the bottom of plastic containers. Some plastics are inert enough to be placed inside the body as surgical implants. Other plastics are made from plant oils and readily biodegrade under normal conditions. Plastics differ in their reactivity, porosity, hardness/density, etc.

Think of polycarbonate (unbreakable plastic). Originally, Nalgene made water bottles out of a type of polycarbonate that leached BPAs into water stored in the bottle. There was an uproar, and they switched to another type of poly. The differences are usually the configuration or arrangement of long hydrocarbon chains that determine whether or not the stuff breaks down and/or offgasses.

Chemists - feel free to school me.

O

OrganicOzarks

The FDA says "BPA" is safe so a drinking water "safe" hose must be as well. :)

W89

Veteran
Great here we go. Plastic is bad. Your going to argue that? Not with any candor or rationale. Plastic is just good, but I don't know why?

The other thing I have learned with plastic is that it is a hazard. Some people grow for medical purposes because they have compromised immune systems. My 1st patient couldn't TOUCH plastic.

So jokes aside W89, there are some factors,that are very important for not using plastic, but Im guessing you knew all this and just wanted to get in a lil good ribbing. :]

Grow safe!

Yeah sure just use the same plastic as as your dildo is made of your will be fine mate.

Latest posts

Latest posts