What's new

TOTALLY RANDOM POST II

CharlesU Farley

Absence of common sense often equals a signed invitation for entry into the Darwin Awards..
I'm reminded of a comedy skit by DL Hughley. He was joking about some of the basic differences between black people and white people. In essence, he basically said black people are generally scared to death of wild animals whereas white people would see a bear and say "Come here Mr. Bear, I won't hurt you!" 😂

moose eater

I'm reminded of a comedy skit by DL Hughley. He was joking about some of the basic differences between black people and white people. In essence, he basically said black people are generally scared to death of wild animals whereas white people would see a bear and say "Come here Mr. Bear, I won't hurt you!" 😂
I've often thought that the more comfortable we become, the stupider we get. Survival as a paramount, front-and-center issue, creates its own edge in perception of the world.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I've often thought that the more comfortable we become, the stupider we get. Survival as a paramount, front-and-center issue, creates its own edge in perception of the world.
i would have said "softer" instead of "stupid"...but your definition works for me. :good: "perception of the world" :bow:

CharlesU Farley

1000012961.jpg

moose eater

I just saw an image of a well-known WWII paratrooper, 'Wild Bill', with a 'during the war' and a 'today or yesterday' side-by-side comparison in photos, with weathered face, both images in uniform.

It reminded me of when over 1,000 of us marched on Richard Butler's Aryan Nations Church of Jesus Christ outside of Hayden Lake, Idaho, on Hitler's birthday in 1989.

We had people from 5 states and 2 or 3 native reservations among us.

We had LOTS of local, state and federal surveillance on us, both plain clothes and uniform, with them grabbing people out of our march to shake them down for weapons, etc., and photographing us, as well as some limited mouthing off from the banjo-picking rednecks in support of the racists by virtue of saying things like "They all look like they're on drugs" or "How do you tell the men from the women?", etc. Basic non-creative non-intellectual redneck stuff.

There was a little old frail man in a wheelchair in full parade dress uniform who sat in his chair at the edge of our procession, possibly WWI, possibly WWII. I'd wager WWI, due to the year of the march and his age.

He looked tiny even in that chair.

He sat at -rigid- attention for the duration of our march procession passing him.

I still can see him in my mind's eye. The connection and the continuity of what he and we both stood for... and against... and he knew it. He knew it well enough to sit there like that, as though he owed -US- some sort of respect, when, in fact, I think it was quite the opposite.

I had a couple instances of words with the 'Archie Bunker brigade' that day, asking them pointed questions like, "I'm in grad school doing clinical work. So, help me out; what do people on drugs look like?" And I took some pics of the UCs taking our pics. A tit-for-tat thing.

But as we passed him, shortly after my first exchange with the redneck idiots in the peanut gallery, I could see the connection and the years, and I cried a bit. Quietly, of course. But I indeed shed a tear or three. I didn't let him see it, though.

Last edited:

CharlesU Farley

I just saw an image of a well-known WWII paratrooper, 'Wild Bill', with a 'during the war' and a 'today or yesterday' side-by-side comparison in photos, with weathered face, both images in uniform.

It reminded me of when over 1,000 of us marched on Richard Butler's Aryan Nations Church of Jesus Christ outside of Hayden Lake, Idaho, on Hitler's birthday in 1989.

We had people from 5 states and 2 or 3 native reservations among us.

We had LOTS of local, state and federal surveillance on us, both plain clothes and uniform, with them grabbing people out of our march to shake them down for weapons, etc., and photographing us, as well as some limited mouthing off from the banjo-picking rednecks in support of the racists by virtue of saying things like "They all look like they're on drugs" or "How do you tell the men from the women?", etc. Basic non-creative non-intellectual redneck stuff.

There was a little old frail man in a wheelchair in full parade dress uniform who sat in his chair at the edge of our procession, possibly WWI, possibly WWII. I'd wager WWI, due to the year of the march and his age.

He looked tiny even in that chair.

He sat at -rigid- attention for the duration of our march procession passing him.

I still can see him in my mind's eye. The connection and the continuity of what he and we both stood for... and against... and he knew it. He knew it well enough to sit there like that, as though he owed -US- some sort of respect, when, in fact, I think it was quite the opposite.

I had a couple instances of words with the 'Archie Bunker brigade' that day, asking them pointed questions like, "I'm in grad school doing clinical work. So, help me out; what do people on drugs look like?" And I took some pics of the UCs taking our pics. A tit-for-tat thing.

But as we passed him, shortly after my first exchange with the redneck idiots in the peanut gallery, I could see the connection and the years, and I cried a bit. Quietly, of course. But I indeed shed a tear or three. I didn't let him see it, though.
(y) :love:

Ca++

They are trying to bring salmon back up my way, after navigation measures and pollution sent them away. I think they have to release them here as young, or they just won't bother coming all this way. They need to know they have somewhere to go.
To this end, they have built a fish route, around some obsticles in parallel. One, is sluice gates. Which wouldn't stop them. Next to this, a huge lock. An actual fish elevator for them. If they don't fancy the sluice, or getting the lift, there is a canoe slalom course. Just incase they want to keep it salmon like. Or now, the 4th choice. A series of pools costing millions, for the one's who insist on extreme jumping, to places they can't see.

Not a fish in sight, of course. I don't think they got the memo.

moose eater

They are trying to bring salmon back up my way, after navigation measures and pollution sent them away. I think they have to release them here as young, or they just won't bother coming all this way. They need to know they have somewhere to go.
To this end, they have built a fish route, around some obsticles in parallel. One, is sluice gates. Which wouldn't stop them. Next to this, a huge lock. An actual fish elevator for them. If they don't fancy the sluice, or getting the lift, there is a canoe slalom course. Just incase they want to keep it salmon like. Or now, the 4th choice. A series of pools costing millions, for the one's who insist on extreme jumping, to places they can't see.

Not a fish in sight, of course. I don't think they got the memo.
Fish ladders and the like can work if built and placed properly.

Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada has a functional fish ladder on the Yukon River near the City, but as of last summer or the summer before (I forget which; graying mind effect...), due to past greed on the US side of the Border on that river that ignored the treaty(ies), and high-seas trawlers, as well as other sources of negative impact during the time in reference, Whitehorse by mid-summer that year had only seen FOUR king salmon cruise up and through their ladder. The nature of resources and sometimes imbalanced 'equity.'

And no one in Congress is willing to shut down the trawler fleet for their inherent wanton waste that any of the rest of us would go to jail or prison for. The power of a stout corporate lobby, I believe.

But fish ladders can, indeed, work, if done correctly. It's the other impacts we need to address, including acidification of the ocean and dumping toxins.

I just posted the other day in another thread, after Fukushima's nuclear disaster, there were -measurable- increases in Cesium 37 witnessed along the remote western coastline of Alaska. That's a HUGE body of water and incredible length in miles of coastline to see increases like that, however small but measurable..

Last edited:

moose eater

We (Alaska) could literally feed small nations with the good fish and crabs that are thrown overboard as trawler bycatch waste, by law, by the trawler fleet.

And again, if you and I wasted ONE king salmon up here, we'd be eligible for fines, jail, and loss of fishing rights. These motherfuckers do this as a matter of business practice and course... with federal protections.

And the insult added to injury? It's a federal fishery in open salt water and most of the trawler fleet isn't even from Alaska; they're mostly from the NW Pacific Coast, like Seattle and Portland, destroying the sea life populations and ocean floor here in a place they don't even reside for the most part, while wasting phenomenal amounts of fresh seafood so that Mickey D's and Mrs. Paul's (and others) can have profits derived from shitty fish sticks and fish sandwiches made from their target fish, pollock, in a world of depleted resources.. Predatory corporatist capitalism in progress.

I've asked other long-time Alaskans if they can recall even having 'pollock' in the fresh fish cases in the stores 40+ years ago here. Most of us back then, when we heard the word 'pollock' initially thought it was a mispronunciation and a reference by a medical report from a Doc regarding some worrisome growth found in a colonoscopy video. Now it's a primary fish protein source.

>>""
The almost 12 months long 2024 trawl season is about to begin. Here's a look at some of the pre-approved Bering Sea bycatch numbers which have been created and rubber stamped by Dunleavy's voting majority on the NPFMC.
Notes:

1. Crab and salmon numbers are given "by the individual". All others are in metric tons(multiply metric tons by 2,204.623 to convert to pounds).

2. These numbers are JUST for the Bering Sea, and are only for a FEW of the bycatch species(the ones which have hard caps which would theoretically trigger a shutdown if reached). All other bycatch species, which are not listed here, have NO HARD CAP.

3. All species listed in this report are considered Prohibited Species Catch(PSC). When a PSC limit is hit, it is SUPPOSED TO trigger a shutdown of the fishery for the rest of the season. But.. most of these PSC limits are so astronomically high that they will never be hit(and are thus not limiting), and.. the last time trawl got close to hitting a PSC limit (herring in 2020), instead of shutting trawl down, the NPFMC instead DOUBLED the PSC limit(mid-season in a single meeting) to keep trawl fishing.

4. Opilio(snowcrab) is shut down to ALL other fishermen, but not to bycatch, which can catch 4.35 million individual crab this year.

5. The Amendment 80 trawl fleet is currently SUING NMFS/NOAA to try to get a HIGHER halibut bycatch limit for the Bering Sea.

6. These numbers are only the OBSERVED bycatch numbers, and for the most part are extrapolated by taking just a few laundry basket- size samples out of a net which may have a quarter million pounds of fish in it. Many former(and current) crew and observers make the accusation that trawl crew INTENTIONAL skews those extrapolated numbers by influencing exactly what catch/bycatch does or does not make it into the observers sample basket.

7. No attempt is made by NOAA or the NPFMC to calculate UNOBSERVED bycatch. UNobserved bycatch is everything which gets mowed down by the net, but which does not make it to the surface to be tallied. In the case a large pollock factory trawler, they're covering about 5 square miles of bottom per day, per boat. If one made an assumption that their nets were disturbing just one ounce of sea life for every square foot of bottom drug, then...... their UNOBSERVED bycatch would be 13 million pounds PER DAY. But....NOAA and the NPFMC refuse to even acknowledge that it exists.

8. Only WHOLE crab are required to be tallied as bycatch. If a trawl net brings up 1,000 half crabs, or 10,000 crab legs(but no WHOLE crab, then the observer would say that there were "no crab harmed".

9. Though many crew say that "everything which comes up in a traw is dead", NOAA and the NPFMC apply an EXTREMELY generous 50% "survival rate" to halibut when the boats participate in their deck sorting program. So.. that means if you see in THESE reports that they have caught 1000 metric tons of halibut, it ACTUALLY means they actually caught 2,000 metric tons, but.... only half of it makes it into these "assumed mortality" reports.""<<

No photo description available.

Last edited: