What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

topping autoflower strains? Yay or Nay?

Hey all,
Been doing a bunch of reading. It looks like a couple years ago everyone was saying not to top or trim or FIM autoflowers because they have a set life cycle and some of the more recent articles ive read have suggested that it now might be a good idea as some of the strains are now more genetically stable. What is all of your takes on this?

TheScrogFrog

I would say no. They have a limited time to veg and develop and that just sets them back and most likely stalls them a little bit. I have done it years ago, and I have not seen great results with it. Let em go. :)

Doji!

I sometimes top mine, but it depends on the strain
the strain "Quick one " grows fast enough for it to work out.
I cut them when the 3rd or 4th set of fan leaves have started showing

bf80255

Nay

one of the main benefits of autos is that speedy veg period and one of the main drawbacks is the limited lifespan, topping will accentuate the negative aspects of both, by slowing down your (limited) veg and taking away valuable growing time that you cant get back (set lifespan)

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Does anyone lst their auto flowers? Read some great things about lst with auto

Yes, it's a great method to increase yield, by low stress training...lower branches, the cola bending oh so carefully not to break them. We use cotton string holding with duct tape...lots of ways to LST...find your method and go for it.

Last edited:

Dirk907

I've got two critical autos going right now and a couple days ago I topped and defoliated one of them as a side-by-side experiment. Based on the responses you're getting, maybe I should have tried lst instead... haha

amanda88

I've been growing autos for the last 5 years and I do top on the 2nd lateral each time, I do this to my photos and did a couple of autos by mistake, and earned and extra 2-3 J's doing so, with practice I prefer to FIM on the second set of leaves

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've got two critical autos going right now and a couple days ago I topped and defoliated one of them as a side-by-side experiment. Based on the responses you're getting, maybe I should have tried lst instead... haha

Time will tell.

amanda88

Much easier to read Marijuana Botany by RC Clarke, who has a great chapter on defoliation

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If I'm not mistaken, Marijuana Botany regarding defoliation is for photoperiods, not autoflower.

A friend of mine had a large autoflower plant outdoors. I got some seeds from the mix and have always wanted to grow it because the smoke was actually quite special. Problem is that I'm in a micro setting. Would topping to stall out it's early growth allow me to keep the plant small, or just screw things up and give me larf/hermis?

I have no experience with autos, so ......

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A HerBn-

Low Stress Train.....topping severely limits growth/maturation!!!

Been growing and breeding autoflower strains for 10 years now. Although FIM can produce add....it can damage plant's growth cycle if not done properly.

None of these specimens...ours or a repeat customers pics were topped, FIMed. Optimal grow conditions are the key to successful harvest.

Bend down branches gently to LST., esp. in confined space.

Attachments

• dc Blue Blazes.jpg
    dc Blue Blazes.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 20 Gauge dc indica.jpg
    20 Gauge dc indica.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2903.jpg
    IMG_2903.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 47
Aridbud.

The specific auto plants I speak of were outdoors and grew to about 4-5 feet tall. I am curious how I can keep them about a foot tall. I'm doing a small sog in a pc case. It is easy with photo plants. I can either flower cuttings to achieve my goal, or from seed i can deprive nitrogen, defoliate, root restriction, etc. Just curious what kind of training would achieve miniaturization on an autoflower plant. I think lst would not stress the plant enough to keep it from taking over the grow space. Don't want to dedicate an entire run to the single plant if I can prevent it.

Thanks

Last edited:

amanda88

If I'm not mistaken, Marijuana Botany regarding defoliation is for photoperiods, not autoflower.
...You are correct, Clarke was referring to photo plants(not many autos were around back then) and a hint to my ..disdain, and Clarke's, of growers who defoliate their plants, and more so with auto flower growers

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
'Twould be better to find a size specific auto strain, HerBn, vs. trying to plant a large or extra large auto/ruddy in PC case. You can squeeze 3 plants in PC case where they don't reach more than 16-18"

We have several strains (afterthought autos)for micro grows, as well as numerous others auto seedsters out there. Some go for the gusto...large one. We cater more to MMJ population, or covert growers. Quality strains (devoted to chronic health issues) and relatively quick turn around.

Save your larger plant seed for, say, a portion of a closet....you really need large liter (11-17 ltr) or 5 gallon for an auto that's 4-5ft tall. We grow autos in either 3-5 gallon nursery containers, depending on girth and height as well as days of maturity.

For PC grow you can do 1.25- 1.50 gallon buckets...3 easily for starters. Learn how autos respond, then branch out.

For strains that finish around 60 days...well, it's best to LST them....but to each their own....cropping/topping/FIM, etc. Different strokes for different strains. Longer growing autos say 75-90 days perhaps FIM, but it's a choice, or habit. Have read variable successes on different forums. Glad it works.

Shorter growing (days/stature strains)....just grow 'em!

After years of growing (indoors, al fresco), it takes time to heal a stressed auto... no sense beating a dead horse. Autos are on a strict time clock....treat them well, they'll treat you in the end! ;o)

Photos...for sure FIM, crop, lollipop, etc. for added bud/cola sites given months to recover from stress. When growing photos years or for decades, it was the norm. Defoliating too for cross breezes and heartier plant....much like tree trimming....creating a more robust stalk/plant.

Anasazi

Newer autos can be fimmed no problem. I know a really great auto grower who fim's every single time and he gets great results. All his journals are listed on an autoflower site for all to see.

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
Bondage/LST better for auto's, from what I've read. Photoperiod plants have time to adjust to top/fim, but auto's have limited life span to accomplish their reproductive cycle.

Bend her over & tie her down - she'll love you for it