What's new

top of the heap to third world status in one generation

Anjey

Hey fellows, I hope you achieve all your dreams too!

I wanted to throw some words into this thread about beavers. I was reading a book from sometime in the 1800s the other day about beavers. This fellow reckons there were about one hundred million beavers here in the US pre settlers. Unbelievable water storage and land management. He witnessed that when they were trapped they would raise their hands above their heads to fend off the blow and usually die after two or three without a sound, without ferocity. Living a life of peace, perhaps in the beaver home their ancestors built. Some trees were harmed sure but it was in the name of something that was working.

The settlers killed almost all of these beavers, extincting them in many locales. They used their corpses as currency, the hide the object by which to set a standard of value to guns and tools.

I don’t think much has changed. The willingness to sell living or dead things for profit, as a way of accumulating more for oneself. This is so fundamentally wrong to being an intact spiritual being on earth. I have raised and butchered animals, killed many a plant and insect and have learned and continue to learn only that their lives are equal to mine in an elemental way.

The man who can kill and sell the beaver in droves for profit can sell them selves just as easily.

Can you all imagine how different the wind would be if all of the old growth in this country hadn’t been cut, and if the regrowth wasn’t managed as tree farms?

dramamine

Hey fellows, I hope you achieve all your dreams too!

I wanted to throw some words into this thread about beavers. I was reading a book from sometime in the 1800s the other day about beavers. This fellow reckons there were about one hundred million beavers here in the US pre settlers. Unbelievable water storage and land management. He witnessed that when they were trapped they would raise their hands above their heads to fend off the blow and usually die after two or three without a sound, without ferocity. Living a life of peace, perhaps in the beaver home their ancestors built. Some trees were harmed sure but it was in the name of something that was working.

The settlers killed almost all of these beavers, extincting them in many locales. They used their corpses as currency, the hide the object by which to set a standard of value to guns and tools.

I don’t think much has changed. The willingness to sell living or dead things for profit, as a way of accumulating more for oneself. This is so fundamentally wrong to being an intact spiritual being on earth. I have raised and butchered animals, killed many a plant and insect and have learned and continue to learn only that their lives are equal to mine in an elemental way.

The man who can kill and sell the beaver in droves for profit can sell them selves just as easily.

Can you all imagine how different the wind would be if all of the old growth in this country hadn’t been cut, and if the regrowth wasn’t managed as tree farms?

Excellent.

Last edited:

Gry

Veteran
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c9EfRZXglg
The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing
The Persuasions Song by Frank Zappa

Some take the bible
For what it's worth
When it says that the meek
Shall inherit the Earth
Well, I heard that some sheik
Has bought New Jersey last week
'N you suckers ain't gettin' nothin'
Is Hare Rama really wrong
If you wander around
With a napkin on
With a bell on a stick
An' your hair is all gone
(The geek shall inherit nothin')
You say yer life's a bum deal
'N yer up against the wall
Well, people, you ain't even got no kinda
Deal at all
'Cause what they do
In Washington
They just takes care of NUMBER ONE
An' number one ain't you
You ain't even number two
Those Jesus Freaks
Well, they're friendly but
The shit they believe
Has got their minds all shut
An' they don't even care
When the church takes a cut
Ain't it bleak when you got so much nothin'
(So whaddya do? Hey!)
Eat that pork
Eat that ham
Laugh till ya choke
On Billy Graham
Moses, Aaron 'n Abraham
They're all a waste of time
'N it's your ass that's on the line
(It's your ass that's on the line)
Do what you wanna
Do what you will
Just don't mess up
Your neighbor's thrill
'N when you pay the bill
Kindly leave a little tip
And help the next poor sucker
On his one way trip
Some take the bible
(Aw gimme a half a dozen for the hotel room!)

St. Phatty

h.h.

Veteran
My best study periods came while waiting to go to work. It would give me something to think about all day. Work would remind me of why I was studying. On the worst of days, I was reminded that what I was doing was only temporary. I had a future.

shaggyballs

Veteran
If Everyone Ate Beans Instead of Beef.

I wonder why we eat so much beef.....No I don't!
But that is a whole nother thread.

M

moose eater

You can have my ribeye when you pry it out of my cold, dead mouth.

Well, maybe a bit before that, but.... :)

Gry

Veteran
You can have my ribeye when you pry it out of my cold, dead mouth.

Well, maybe a bit before that, but.... :)

Have a rough relationship with food .

Sure do enjoy the memories, and dearly
love to hear of and think of good food.

Never ceases to amaze me, the variety

and quality of the fresh fruit and veggies
that are available any more.

M

moose eater

Have a rough relationship with food .

Sure do enjoy the memories, and dearly
love to hear of and think of good food.

Never ceases to amaze me, the variety

and quality of the fresh fruit and veggies
that are available any more.

Food has become a dangerous American pass-time, probably because we get the combination wrong, and don't include enough veggies with our carbs and proteins.

I splurged today and scored 15 chicken tamales in red sauce, despite them being seriously high in carbs and calories.

There's no time for celebrating like a pandemic.

I think Agent Pothead posted the R.E.M. tune a number of days ago, 'It's the End of the World as We Know It (and I feel fine)'.

Maybe, and yep.:)