What's new

top of the heap to third world status in one generation

Gry

Veteran
The schoolgirls who defied the Stasi: 'Someone said, "What if we take him across the border?"'

They were West German teenagers on a school trip. He was a young man desperate to escape from East Germany. Thirty five years later, they tell their story
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/11/schoolgirls-defied-the-stasi-across-the-border

Loved the following description of the tale; "Sounds like a cross between a John le Carré thriller and the Famous Five".

Gry

Veteran
Michael Moore Presents: Planet of the Humans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk11vI-7czE

Michael Moore presents Planet of the Humans, a documentary that dares to say what no one else will this Earth Day — that we are losing the battle to stop climate change on planet earth because we are following leaders who have taken us down the wrong road — selling out the green movement to wealthy interests and corporate America. This film is the wake-up call to the reality we are afraid to face: that in the midst of a human-caused extinction event, the environmental movement’s answer is to push for techno-fixes and band-aids. It's too little, too late. Removed from the debate is the only thing that MIGHT save us: getting a grip on our out-of-control human presence and consumption. Why is this not THE issue? Because that would be bad for profits, bad for business. Have we environmentalists fallen for illusions, “green” illusions, that are anything but green, because we’re scared that this is the end—and we’ve pinned all our hopes on biomass, wind turbines, and electric cars? No amount of batteries are going to save us, warns director Jeff Gibbs (lifelong environmentalist and co-producer of “Fahrenheit 9/11” and “Bowling for Columbine"). This urgent, must-see movie, a full-frontal assault on our sacred cows, is guaranteed to generate anger, debate, and, hopefully, a willingness to see our survival in a new way—before it’s too late.

Recall having read the distributor who had been scheduled to handle the release of the film
withdrew their backing.
Couple days go by, and it would seem a decision was made to release it at no cost.

M

moose eater

Maybe I missed it in the article, but a recurring lynch pin in the JA case, according to some, is that JA allegedly agreed to help Manning with a code needed for access. The claim is that at that point, JA became an active accomplice to what amounted to espionage, by way of assisting in digital breaking & entering, and theft, casting him as no longer being a mere publisher, blogger, or journalist.

My sentiment re. that is "So fucking what?!!" The Government, a public institution, operating on the public's dime, lied about the availability of video evidence when Reuters inquired about the killing of their camera person and reporter. They attempted to suppress information in what some suspected of being a crime resulting in death. By definition, a serious felony.

The loose manner in which documents are determined to be classified or not, is, in itself, a joke. And for decades upon decades, many documents have been declared to be classified, sometimes even after having been otherwise public documents and viewed by many, solely because of fears of what the information would do to the belief and trust in the Government of the Nation.

Maybe they haven't been paying very close attention, but I'm pretty sure the trust they're so unsuccessfully attempting to secure, was already seriously injured..... a LONG time ago.

So, by declaring many, more or less benign documents 'classified,' simply because many of them illuminate the shallowness, disingenuousness, forked-tongue natures, and absence of any serious spinal fortitude among those who claim they represent the Nation (but often appear not to), the Government makes itself a de facto autocrat, with the ability to indirectly (and directly) write itself a Get Out of Jail Free Card; you need their permission to take them to court in many cases, and getting the necessary information for any successful prosecution of them can be derailed by the State simply declaring that information to be a State's Secret, whether it really ought to be or not.

I trust Assange a WHOLE lot more than I trust the last 6 or 7 administrations, where levels of trust, honesty, or motives are concerned.

I'd love to see someone, a group, whom ever, do the same for Assange that the Weathermen did for Tim Leery, but I doubt that will happen. I can always hope.

I'd also like to see someone take direct action where the seriously-conflicted magistrate in JA's case is concerned, and direct action, in general, where folks have used their office to undermine the Nation's integrity, and lied to the People of the Nation, often simply to cover their tracks where violations of law or evidence of sleaziness are concerned, whether International or Domestic.

I hope to be alive when harsh and unforgiving karma is delivered to the criminal miscreants in suits. I want a front row seat, and a HUGE glass of good dark beer for -that- show..

Gry

Veteran
The True Story of the White Island Eruption

Last December, around 100 tourists set out for New Zealand's Whakaari/White Island, where an active volcano has attracted hundreds of thousands of vacationers since the early 1990s. It was supposed to be a routine six-hour tour, including the highlight: a quick hike into the island's otherworldly caldera. Then the volcano exploded. What happened next reveals troubling questions about the risks we're willing to take when lives hang in the balance.

https://www.outsideonline.com/24117...-eruption-2019?utm_source=pocket-newtab#close

h.h.

Veteran
Mom and pop are still alive in the virtual malls of the internet. They just have a different landlord.

Gry

Veteran
Who is financing the current wave of protests that feature rebel flags and firearms which are showing up exclusively in states with democratic governors .

Gry

Veteran
Stevie Wonder - Heaven Is 10 Zillion Light Years Away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIE6unjkXmc

Heaven Is 10 Zillion Light Years Away
Stevie Wonder

They say that heaven is 10 zillion light years away
And just the pure at heart will walk her righteous streets someday
They say that heaven is 10 zillion light years away
But if there is a God, we need Him now
"Where is your God"
That's what my friends ask me
And I say it's taken Him so long
'Cause we've got so far to come...
Tell me people
Why can't they say that hate is 10 zillion light years away
Why can't the light of good shine God's love in every soul
Why must my color black make me a lesser man
I thought this world was made for every man
He loves us all, that's what my God tells me
And I say it's taken Him so long
'Cause we've got so far to come...
But in my heart I can feel it, yeah,
Feel His spirit wow oh woo...
Feel it, yeah, feel His spirit...
I...…

Gry

Veteran
No Mas Presents: Dock Ellis & The LSD No-No by James Blagden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vUhSYLRw14

In celebration of the greatest athletic achievement by a man on a psychedelic journey, No Mas and artist James Blagden proudly present the animated tale of Dock Ellis' legendary LSD no-hitter. In the past few years we've heard all too much about performance enhancing drugs from greenies to tetrahydrogestrinone, and not enough about performance inhibiting drugs. If our evaluation of the records of athletes like Mark McGwire, Roger Clemens, Marion Jones, and Barry Bonds needs to be revised downwards with an asterisk, we submit that that Dock Ellis record deserves a giant exclamation point. Of the 263 no-hitters ever thrown in the Big Leagues, we can only guess how many were aided by steroids, but we can say without question that only one was ever thrown on acid. Sadly, the great Dock Ellis died last December at 63. A year before, radio producers Donnell Alexander and Neille Ilel, had recorded an interview with Ellis in which the former Pirate right hander gave a moment by moment account of June 12, 1970, the day he no-hit the San Diego Padres. Alexander and Ilels original four minute piece appeared March 29, 2008 on NPRs Weekend America. When we stumbled across that piece this past June, Blagden and Isenberg were inspired to create a short animated film around the original audio.

M

moose eater

No Mas Presents: Dock Ellis & The LSD No-No by James Blagden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vUhSYLRw14

In celebration of the greatest athletic achievement by a man on a psychedelic journey, No Mas and artist James Blagden proudly present the animated tale of Dock Ellis' legendary LSD no-hitter. In the past few years we've heard all too much about performance enhancing drugs from greenies to tetrahydrogestrinone, and not enough about performance inhibiting drugs. If our evaluation of the records of athletes like Mark McGwire, Roger Clemens, Marion Jones, and Barry Bonds needs to be revised downwards with an asterisk, we submit that that Dock Ellis record deserves a giant exclamation point. Of the 263 no-hitters ever thrown in the Big Leagues, we can only guess how many were aided by steroids, but we can say without question that only one was ever thrown on acid. Sadly, the great Dock Ellis died last December at 63. A year before, radio producers Donnell Alexander and Neille Ilel, had recorded an interview with Ellis in which the former Pirate right hander gave a moment by moment account of June 12, 1970, the day he no-hit the San Diego Padres. Alexander and Ilels original four minute piece appeared March 29, 2008 on NPRs Weekend America. When we stumbled across that piece this past June, Blagden and Isenberg were inspired to create a short animated film around the original audio.

I think I got high watching that. :biggrin:

Too cool. I might've had some kind of buried-deep, vague recollection of such a game, but not sure.

We watched the video, and I was laughing off and on throughout the thing.

Hilarious!!

(*In 10th grade (??), before I dropped out of school, I ate a stout tab of blotter, and walked into a 29-page final English exam. I swore I didn't recognize any of the material on the test; it seemed totally foreign. Julius Caesar? Did we study Julius Caesar??

Upon completion, turning my test in, I accidentally knocked over the large stack of tests turned in by those who'd finished before me, maybe half the class. The tests, stapled together in their upper corner, all skittered, floating across a part of the room, causing way too many trails/tracers to ignore. I was trying hard to keep my shit together, and my English teacher, who'd long since given up any hope that I and some others would be normal students, said, with a blushed look on her face, "You're not feeling too well today, are you, Mr. ******?"

I squeaked out, "Nope, not today." and exited as quickly as I could.

I aced the test. Another apparent miracle, brought about by LSD.:)

Latest posts

Latest posts