What's new

TOO MUCH LIGHT!

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Please explain how leds have a higher rate of penetration and why they should be placed higher than hids. CFL can be placed closed to plants because they put out so little light.

That is not true. CFL's put out plenty of light, and are a very good source of light for growing weed. The reason they can be placed close to the plants is because they run cool.

Horselover Fat

Veteran
That is not true. CFL's put out plenty of light, and are a very good source of light for growing weed. The reason they can be placed close to the plants is because they run cool.

There really is no point in using CFLs anymore. Screw in led bulbs are much better. For the same light output leds will produce less heat than cfl.

Koondense

Veteran
Same effect. It doesn't continue in a straight line, it gets bent to differing degrees depending on its wavelength. Red is bent more than blue and so can only be seen when the sun is very low in the sky.

Not sure where you think that's wrong. If it is, post a link, I'll read it and hold my hands up. Its what I understand to be the principle at play. There again I'm not a science teacher.

http://gsp.humboldt.edu/OLM/Courses/GSP_216_Online/lesson2-1/scatter.html

Cheers

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
https://gsp.humboldt.edu/OLM/Courses/GSP_216_Online/lesson2-1/scatter.html

Cheers

Which type of those scatterings would have any measurable effects inside under artificial lighting with meter of space between light and canopy?
I've had humid (or even dusty) tents before, but not to the point of fog, clouds, haze, smog, or color shifts

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I would like a good comparison test of meters. A light meter measuring lumens is not measuring the entire spectrum a plant needs.

You need a sensor that will measure the entire spectrum we want.

Light meter: [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82164&pictureid=2118141&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

PAR meter: [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82164&pictureid=2118142&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Specs on my little meter: [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82164&pictureid=2118140&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

https://shop.pahydroponics.com/hort...lg-30-uva-supplement-light-shipping-included/

I like the USB 520 version, and may get one (Edit, or may not. They cost $438):

https://www.apogeeinstruments.com/sq-520-full-spectrum-smart-quantum-sensor-usb/

The same company has a temperature sensor that mimics a leaf. I think one of those optical forehead thermometers would work OK, and they are a lot cheaper.

This is what I am using now: [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=85371&pictureid=2113795&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Here is why it matters. The PAR sensor will read energy pretty evenly within the 400-700 range, while the light meter will read according to the curve, mostly the green middle spectrum, and basically ignore the blue and red light.

HLG Diablo:
hlg-scorpion-diablo-full-spectrum-comercial-indoor-led-grow-lights-120v-240v-spectrum-graphic.jpg

Mars SP6500:

ROI e680:

A light meter will measure the intensity weighted as per the curve above. A good PAR meter will average across the whole tested spectrum, per the chart. It won't tell you how much in a spectrum, just how much energy in the spectral range we are interested in.

There is probably conversion factor between the two measurements, if used on the same light. Comparing lights, using the two different meter technologies, is not really meaningful. IMO. I doubt a light meter could even see the radiation from one of those 30 watt supplement lights with 365 and 385 nm LEDs.

Last edited:

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
There really is no point in using CFLs anymore. Screw in led bulbs are much better. For the same light output leds will produce less heat than cfl.

That may be, but they DO work and they work very well for growing dope.
I did great with six of the big ass 42 or 43 watt curly CFL's.

Greenheart

Veteran
I've used cfl and HID. I had good results with both. I'm not sure if it was because they were new sprouts but I never experienced too much light until I went LED. Those bulbs need proper social distancing.

I'm really excited about how far LED has come. You get efficiency, low heat, and intensity in a customizable spectrum! Full spectrum LED is a real game changer.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Cannabis is a light loving plant. It has evolved to feed off of pretty much any light you give it. As mankind progresses in technology that light can become more effective at doing it's job. There will always be the quest for the perfect light even after you find it. A lot of it is based upon how well you utilize that light. Don't hate the light it's just doing what man told it too. Even if he filled it with toxic chemicals. He is evolving. Don't hate the past for it's faults. Appreciate it for where it LED you.

I might get some hate for this post but remember we as a whole have done a lot of ill to our mothership. It is up to us to start effectively utilizing all our resources. If you only have HID or CFL I don't hate you. I've been there. In fact I love Halogen and Incadescent lights myself. I'm starting to love the lower electric bill more. I'm getting amped with intensity for a brighter future. I didn't burn that leaf with heat. I burned it with 32w of light from 8" away.

Horselover Fat

Veteran
That may be, but they DO work and they work very well for growing dope.
I did great with six of the big ass 42 or 43 watt curly CFL's.

Sure, they work. I used a 125w cfl for veg at one time and only just retired my seedling/cutting cfl. Most white light sources will grow the same, but use different ammount of electricity. I would need almost 1kw of cfl to replace my 320w led fixture.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
LEDs have definitely progressed since my first led.
Remember the 90W UFOs? Lol.

I have some 200 watt cheap units that put off almost pinkish light (I am not color blind, but probably close). Are they good for vegging?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Here is why it matters. The PAR sensor will read energy pretty evenly within the 400-700 range, while the light meter will read according to the curve, mostly the green middle spectrum, and basically ignore the blue and red light.

HLG Diablo: View Image

Mars SP6500: [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82164&pictureid=2118654&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

ROI e680: [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82164&pictureid=2118653&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

A light meter will measure the intensity weighted as per the curve above. A good PAR meter will average across the whole tested spectrum, per the chart. It won't tell you how much in a spectrum, just how much energy in the spectral range we are interested in.

So you buy the light that makes the desired spectrum, and measure the amount. There is probably conversion factor between the two measurements, if used on the same light. Comparing lights, using the two different meter technologies, is not really meaningful. IMO. I doubt a light meter could even see the radiation from one of these with 365 and 385 nm LEDs.

These fancy meters are no more accurate than a $10 meter. They are fundamentally floored in the same way. They can see to 650nm but by 660nm the top meters are only 20% effective. With manufacturing tolerance having a great effect with such a cliff like slope, you can't reliably read the 660nm and correct for the sensor. A sensor that won't see to the edge of the par range. You can visit the top manufactures and they show you the math needed to correct what the meter says, when you use the unexpected source LED.

The $10 meter also needs correcting for LED but in my graph I have been specific about the actual leds being used for that correction factor. Accuracy beyond just correction for LED in general.

This leaves the ppfd meter guessing whats going on past 650nm based on programming for different light sources. It will never include the 730nm that supports the 660nm so well as it's not counted as PAR.

A cheap meter has been under the known light. We know it's output for an absolute fact and know what the meter says. That is more accurate than guessing. If only you use that LED and meter combination.

It's all crap, but if we all use the same meter, we can make very good comparisons.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I've used cfl and HID. I had good results with both. I'm not sure if it was because they were new sprouts but I never experienced too much light until I went LED. Those bulbs need proper social distancing.

I'm really excited about how far LED has come. You get efficiency, low heat, and intensity in a customizable spectrum! Full spectrum LED is a real game changer.

View Image
View Image
View Image
View Image

Cannabis is a light loving plant. It has evolved to feed off of pretty much any light you give it. As mankind progresses in technology that light can become more effective at doing it's job. There will always be the quest for the perfect light even after you find it. A lot of it is based upon how well you utilize that light. Don't hate the light it's just doing what man told it too. Even if he filled it with toxic chemicals. He is evolving. Don't hate the past for it's faults. Appreciate it for where it LED you.

I might get some hate for this post but remember we as a whole have done a lot of ill to our mothership. It is up to us to start effectively utilizing all our resources. If you only have HID or CFL I don't hate you. I've been there. In fact I love Halogen and Incadescent lights myself. I'm starting to love the lower electric bill more. I'm getting amped with intensity for a brighter future. I didn't burn that leaf with heat. I burned it with 32w of light from 8" away.

That daylight white is a pretty good light spectrum. Maybe the green goes through the canopy and lights up the cover crops too. Cheap on ebay.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I have some 200 watt cheap units that put off almost pinkish light (I am not color blind, but probably close). Are they good for vegging?

I have an led with a pinkish glow too. It veg's fine.
Only one way to find out loc.
200 real watts?

Loc Dog

Veteran
I have an led with a pinkish glow too. It veg's fine.
Only one way to find out loc.
200 real watts?

I moved last year and had to get out in a hurry, due to douchebag buyer of old house. Somewhere I have a meter that will show actual draw. Chinese seller on ebay said they were 200 actual watts, but recently have found many people to be full of shit. Just got screwed buying 2 dogs, that are not what they were supposed to be.

Loc Dog

Veteran
I am in 4th week of flower on 60 day plants. Leaves seem a little lite in color (have not grown in years so maybe normal). Should I feed some extra nitrogen if that is the case, or will that F-up flowering?

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
I am in 4th week of flower on 60 day plants. Leaves seem a little lite in color (have not grown in years so maybe normal). Should I feed some extra nitrogen if that is the case, or will that F-up flowering?

Why don't you look in the Dispensary? This is a thread about LIGHTING.